Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Niner Pressfit Biocentric 30

I'd really like to find out some more about this ever since it was teased in all the RLT reviews. I've got a 2012 Air 9 that I wish I could change back over to SS and this seems like the perfect solution especially if its priced at under $120(better than the problem solvers and Beer solutions). Any more info on this? Release date? Will it work with all PF30 Frames?

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by serious1 View Post
    I'd really like to find out some more about this ever since it was teased in all the RLT reviews. I've got a 2012 Air 9 that I wish I could change back over to SS and this seems like the perfect solution especially if its priced at under $120(better than the problem solvers and Beer solutions). Any more info on this? Release date? Will it work with all PF30 Frames?

Really? Somehow I missed that in the RLT piece. That would be a kick in the pants of their frustrating product line separation. For example making the 2014 Air 9C as valuable as the $1899 2013 model.

Likewise any Air 9 RDO would be a niner BB away from the flagship all new One 9 RDO.
    2x10
    '12 Niner Jet RDO 22.9 lb
    1x1
    '09 Cannondale F29er 1 20.1 lb
    '10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    May 2012
    They still say no ebb with the a9c and air 9 rdo frames. I can't image they would flip on that
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The PF30 carbon frames can't run the PF30 EBB's without wruching the BB shell. The carbon is too thin. This will only work on an aluminum shell PF30 frame, like the Air9. That of course will make the aluminum One9 redundant. (people were doing that anyway... with the Team Beer or Problem Solvers EBBs for PF30)

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    The PF30 carbon frames can't run the PF30 EBB's without wruching the BB shell. The carbon is too thin. This will only work on an aluminum shell PF30 frame, like the Air9. That of course will make the aluminum One9 redundant. (people were doing that anyway... with the Team Beer or Problem Solvers EBBs for PF30)
    How do you reconcile that view with Niners long standing A9C EBB compatibility using their CYA system?

It is only in switching to PF30 for the latest A9C that setup will no longer work, leaving only the crazy steep One 9 RDO for our carbon fibre SS fun.
    2x10
    1x1
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The Air9 Carbon has an aluminum CYA shell. So, it can take any of their inserts or Biocentric I and II EBBs.

The Air9 RDO and new Air9 Carbon have a pressfit 30 BB shell that is 100% carbon and isn't even solid all the way through the BB. There is just a ~7mm carbon lip on each side that a PF30 BB presses into. An eccentric made for a PF30 BB would crush the BB shell on these bikes.

The RLT9 has an aluminum PF30 shell, so Niner's new PF30 EBB, the Team Beer, or Problems Solvers EBB will work in this frame.

Those EBB's will also work in the regular Air9.

Long story is, yes... if you want carbon SS from Niner, the RDO is goign to be the only way to go. Unless you grab an Air9 Carbon before they are all gone.

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    The Air9 Carbon has an aluminum CYA shell. So, it can take any of their inserts or Biocentric I and II EBBs.

The Air9 RDO and new Air9 Carbon have a pressfit 30 BB shell that is 100% carbon and isn't even solid all the way through the BB. There is just a ~7mm carbon lip on each side that a PF30 BB presses into. An eccentric made for a PF30 BB would crush the BB shell on these bikes.

The RLT9 has an aluminum PF30 shell, so Niner's new PF30 EBB, the Team Beer, or Problems Solvers EBB will work in this frame.

Those EBB's will also work in the regular Air9.

Long story is, yes... if you want carbon SS from Niner, the RDO is goign to be the only way to go. Unless you grab an Air9 Carbon before they are all gone.
    Yes this.

I like Niner, but I find their product differentiation choices to be contrived around the all mighty dollar a tad too much these days. Their Product Marketing team/lead is smart I'll give them that, the power of the BB standards.

When will Cane Creek define the new industry standard for BB's too?
    2x10
    1x1
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I got antsy and emailed Niner and they replied within an hour saying it will be available early 2014 when the new RLT9 ships. They also confirmed it will be compatible with my Air9 alloy. Im very excited for this product!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Update for Niner EBB BioCentric 30. Found this on their website under the BioCentric II description:

"The BioCentric 30 will have a similar design and function as its BioCentric II counterpart, but compact for use in most PF30 shells. The sealed bottom bracket will be integrated into the cups of the BioCentric 30 and will be capable of handling most 24mm spindle cranks. Available Q1 of 2014."

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    The Beer adapter is basically the same. It has 2 bolts like the Biocentric II.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    It's also really wide, well at least their BB30 version is. Perhaps the PF30 version is lower profile like the Niner BCII appears to be.
    2x10
    1x1
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I thought so too at first. Then I saw that it uses posts that connect the two sides. They did that with the latest biocentric too. They say that is what eliminates the two sides from getting out of phase and that that was the main reason for creaking. What I want to know is when they go after problem solvers and beer for patent infringement...
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Well if they are not moving, they won't get out of phase. I think Beer had 2 bolts before Niner, so that can't happen.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I think the patent applies to how it grips the shell on the outside faces, not how many bolts it has. I can't remember, it's been a while since I've seen it and googles patent search is beating me at the moment.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Well originally, they didn't grip very well, that is why they solved the problem with 2 bolts, which by then Beer already had.

USED2COULD
    Well originally, they didn't grip very well, that is why they solved the problem with 2 bolts, which by then Beer already had.
    You beat me to it, I'd be surprised if Niner were successful in earning a patent, I assume that in the US prior art holds in patent law as it does here in Canada, and Europe. If I recall correctly, and someone who actually knows what they are talking about (i.e. not me) can correct me, but in the US I think you can file for a patent within a year of an invention become public, where as elsewhere the patent application needs to be submitted before the design is public.

Either way, Beer Components make a solid EBB from my experience, I just request they make it lighter, and lower profile in their next iteration. But when the Niner PF30 EBB Biocentric IIB is available I'll consider that for my next frame too.

Cheers
    2x10
    1x1
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Is there any option to run an EBB in a Niner carbon frame with PF30 BB shell?
    Planet X Dirty Harry, SID XX, Chris King, Rotor 3D, Sram X0
    On-One Scandal 29er SS

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Not according to Niner. Voids warranty and supposedly guaranteed to crack it since there is not much carbon there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I don't believe so. They state that the Air 9 RDO bb shell is carbon and the way these eccentric pf30 adapters work is by clamping onto the sides of the bb shell to stay in place, therefore a carbon bb shell would be crushed.

Here's a response from Niner
    BEER EBB for Air9 RDO? Anyone?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Cheers, yeh I had seen that.

For some reason I thought the Niner EBB was going to be designed to work, but from this thread, looks like its only for that alloy frames also.

Seems like we'd need an EBB that clamps on the ID of the shell, rather than the outside walls of the shell?
    Planet X Dirty Harry, SID XX, Chris King, Rotor 3D, Sram X0
    On-One Scandal 29er SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I want to know when Niner will have the Biocentric 30 available for purchase or at least have the technical info & price available so I can decide if I want Niner's or BEER Components' EBB. The RLT is already shipping and I thought the Biocentric 30 would be available too. I would kinda like to stay with Niner stuff on my Niner bike because I'm fancy. But, I need to start training for single speed soon and may just go with what's available.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    The Niner is basically the Beer one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The Niner is basically the Beer one.
    Just in design, or in price & weight too?

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Looks almost identical.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Looks almost identical.
    Do you have pictures of it? I've tried to find some but I cannot. I imagine that it looks similar to the EBB2 and I've heard from a couple of people that it uses the posts just like their regular eccentric. Still speculation because I have not actually seen one yet but I cant imagine they would jump ship from their current regular EBB that works really well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast