mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Niner (noncarbon) + Thudbuster = smoother ride?? Any experiences?

Hi, just curious if someone has used a thudbuster seatpost on a noncarbon/steel niner (e.g., air/ one/ emd). If so, was it worth it? Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The thudbuster is more for road riding. If the trail is rough you should not be in the saddle. If you must use a flex post you could also try niners carbon posts. They are a lot lighter than the thudbuster.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Estuche View Post
    Hi, just curious if someone has used a thudbuster seatpost on a noncarbon/steel niner (e.g., air/ one/ emd). If so, was it worth it? Thanks!
    Thud has 2 models, the ST and the LT. I use the ST on my road bike to take the edge off and really like it on the road bike. I've tried the ST on a mountain bike as well.

I used the LT on an aluminum Trek 8000 frame for mountain biking and really liked it. It took more than the edge off and eventually led me to going to a softail, and a full suspension. I have also used it on 29"er HT's (steel and aluminum). My wife has used it from time to time on her Air 9 without any issues, but prefers to ride without it for her style of riding.

The Thudbuster will certainly take the edge off a HT, but it won't provide the benefit of increased traction in the rear like a full suspension bike does. The cushion and the rear suspension doing it's job to keep that rear tire glued to the trail is the ultimate combination - IMO.

Back to the Thud...

You won't get as beat up on a mountain bike using it - that's for sure. The LT requires quite a bit of seatpost area, so make sure your seat is high enough on your current bike that there is room for the LT. Not really an issue for the ST as it doesn't take up as much seat post real estate.

It won't hurt you to try one. You can pick one up used on eBay and if you don't like it, turn around and sell it again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Thud has 2 models, the ST and the LT. I use the ST on my road bike to take the edge off and really like it on the road bike. I've tried the ST on a mountain bike as well.

I used the LT on an aluminum Trek 8000 frame for mountain biking and really liked it. It took more than the edge off and eventually led me to going to a softail, and a full suspension. I have also used it on 29"er HT's (steel and aluminum). My wife has used it from time to time on her Air 9 without any issues, but prefers to ride without it for her style of riding.

The Thudbuster will certainly take the edge off a HT, but it won't provide the benefit of increased traction in the rear like a full suspension bike does. The cushion and the rear suspension doing it's job to keep that rear tire glued to the trail is the ultimate combination - IMO.

Back to the Thud...

You won't get as beat up on a mountain bike using it - that's for sure. The LT requires quite a bit of seatpost area, so make sure your seat is high enough on your current bike that there is room for the LT. Not really an issue for the ST as it doesn't take up as much seat post real estate.

It won't hurt you to try one. You can pick one up used on eBay and if you don't like it, turn around and sell it again.
    Excellent feedback! Thank you for sharing

mtbr member
    I put an ST on an AIR 9 scandium and it reduced the fatigue I would feel after a long ride. I never noticed any negative affects. It helped me - I'm 48 - not a racer. I was curious to try an LT thudbuster - that might have been a better choice? Who knows?
    I recently bought a JET9 RDO for trail riding and I'm keeping the air9 w/ ST thudbuster for gravel roads, etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleForScience View Post
    The thudbuster is more for road riding. If the trail is rough you should not be in the saddle. If you must use a flex post you could also try niners carbon posts. They are a lot lighter than the thudbuster.
    Just wondered if you ever tried one for general trail riding, like riding just for fun...without a care in the world..

I have both LT and ST and use the ST more then the LT. I suppose if one rides only to make time, racing , is very lite in the seat or younger than 20 might rather be beat up by the trail more than being comfy.

I enjoy both thudbusters. But I'm old and prefer the comfy way over the fast way. If I need to make up 30 seconds a mile I'll switch to a ridged post..
    lean forward

mtbr member
    I have experienced more thuds on trails than on streets....but that's just me. YMMV

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Niner (noncarbon) + Thudbuster = smoother ride?? Any experiences?

Niner (noncarbon) + Thudbuster = smoother ride?? Any experiences?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1362691622.361757.jpg

It absolutely helps alot more than you could think specially for back pain