Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    mtbcville:
    If you have time to make bids on ebay you can build an awesome bike for $3000. I would spend the money for Stan's Crest wheels and skimp in other areas if going with new parts.

Other good values in my opinion:
    Cane Creek headsets
    Truvative/SRAM stems
    The Niner aluminum bar (not cheap, but worth the money) Spring for the carbon one if you have money left over.
    SRAM X7 is a very good value
    SRAM Stylo OCT crank This is one step up from the regular Stylo but has really nice bearings.
    as far as chains and cassetts, etc. the lower and middle SRAM groups are the best bang for the buck.
    Salsa lip lock seat clamp is reasonable price and very very good.
    I would get the best deal in hydraulic brakes. They are all good and they are all expensive. You can find deals on ebay all the time on brakes. Even though some are better, they are all good enough.
    I generally recommend the XT front deraileur but am not sure if the new 10 speed stuff is compatible-all my stuff is 9 speed and the XT front works great with SRAM and can be adapted to any size seat tube and top pull or bottom pull. M970-971 depending on the type of swing your frame needs (I am thinking the m970 since that is what I think my Sir needs).

You didn't say if you were going rigid (Niner Carbon Fork) or Suspended which I assume from the budget that that is the goal. I like the Reba RLT a lot and for a little less $ the Recon Gold and for still less the Recon.

I would blow the money for the Cannondale Flash 29er seatpost ($175). It is the best invention since sliced bread and makes loads of difference in user comfort.

Tires, seat, pedals, and grips are personal preference items
    Awesome, thanks for the advice! Looking to go with suspension up front. The Reba is what I was probably going to go with. Also wanting to put a 2x10 on it.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

29er
    Apr 2010
    99% done
    need to shorten the brake lines, and waiting for my seatpost to come in

29er
    Apr 2010
    what does your mcr weigh fully built?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Niner MCR photos/builds-mcr-9-2.jpg

29er
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmonk View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MCR 9 2.jpg 
Views:	1080 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	703968
    specs?
    I don't see how my bike is 26 lbs, and everyone else is getting much less

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Here's my new MCR. After nine years on a 26"aluminum hardtail I figured it was time to see what the fuss over big wheels was all about. I finished building the bike up last weekend and took it out for a quick shakedown ride with a smile across my face the whole time- Joining up big wheels with good steel leads to one smooth ride!
    Niner MCR photos/builds-bikes.jpgNiner MCR photos/builds-mcr1.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Here's mine. Built up with SRAM X9 2x10, American Classics laced to Stans Flows
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Niner MCR photos/builds-img_0623.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    These are some nice looking bikes. After trying many different mountain bikes for my return to the sport, I think I have gone back to the MCR, which was the first bike I test road. I had looked at others due to the cost of the MCR with an XTish package, but due to a sale on the last frame at a shop and some other factors I think it may be a reality soon. Are there any must have recommendations from the MCR riders? Does anyone not like their MCR by chance? I know the new frame will be out soon, but then I will be in a price range I don't want to enter. I am hoping that the MCR will feel as sweet on the trails as my Indy Fab steel feels on the road. Please let me know if there is anything I should be thinking about before getting the bike. Thanks

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    My son has an MCR and I have an Air9 and the main difference (other than diff headsets and bottom bracket types) is the MCR is about a pound heavier. The geometry is the same great geometry, I can't tell the difference in stiffness, etc.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    My MCR now has SS duty...4 years on this frame and still going strong.

Niner MCR photos/builds-img_6700-001.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Niner MCR photos/builds-photo-7.jpg

Here is my Niner MCR 9 build! Only have one ride in, but can tell it is going to be a great bike! XT brakes, X7 shifters, X9 Rear, SLX front, X7 cranks, 2012 Reba fork, SRAM wheels. As parts wear out I intend to make it all XT, but it was not in the initial budget. This is the build that was provided to me by the local Niner dealer when given my budget. I am most happy with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I am looking for a Niner MCR frame in size Large. If anyone knows of a shop that still has a frame please PM me.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm helping to look for a friend who wants to buy a Small sized MCR. If you know where he can still get one, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member

Niner MCR 9 in Touring Mode

Truly, a Magic Carpet Ride!

Niner MCR photos/builds-img_1736.jpgNiner MCR photos/builds-photo-1-2-14-8-13-45.jpg

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6