Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Ska!,

Thanks for the heads-up on your Paul chain keeper. I was bummed that I kept having trouble with it. I think it looks so much more clean than the styles from mrp and e13. I even emailed Paul Comp to see if the band type could be converted to a BB type. The main part looks the same...just one with the band and one with the BB bracket. We'll see.

I suppose I may also try what Jabrabu did...some tape of some kind first. Maybe I'm too big to make it work, if it is related to flex. I'm a physically strong 180+ lbs. But then that Ti bike I was using the other keeper on, that I had zero trouble with (a 2010 Lynskey Pro29)...I converted it back to single speed because I could get enough flex out of the BB area that the tire/chainstay rubbing was driving me nuts! So maybe flex isn't the main factor.

BTW, great looking SIR, jabrabu. The white does look good. I would post a pic of my moondust MCR, but don't seem to have one of the complete bike. I'll work on that. Or maybe I should wait and do it after I get my P321/Enve wheelset!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I use a NGear Jumpstop for a 1x9 setup. I've never had a problem with it. Its inexpensive and light.

N-Gear, Home of the Jump Stop
    "...quit hitting me with your hammer"
    www.msmtb.org
    Niner EMD 1x9 ~ Niner SIR9 SS

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rwitte View Post
    Ska!,

Thanks for the heads-up on your Paul chain keeper. I was bummed that I kept having trouble with it. I think it looks so much more clean than the styles from mrp and e13. I even emailed Paul Comp to see if the band type could be converted to a BB type. The main part looks the same...just one with the band and one with the BB bracket. We'll see.

I suppose I may also try what Jabrabu did...some tape of some kind first. Maybe I'm too big to make it work, if it is related to flex. I'm a physically strong 180+ lbs. But then that Ti bike I was using the other keeper on, that I had zero trouble with (a 2010 Lynskey Pro29)...I converted it back to single speed because I could get enough flex out of the BB area that the tire/chainstay rubbing was driving me nuts! So maybe flex isn't the main factor.

BTW, great looking SIR, jabrabu. The white does look good. I would post a pic of my moondust MCR, but don't seem to have one of the complete bike. I'll work on that. Or maybe I should wait and do it after I get my P321/Enve wheelset!!
    Are you sure you have the correct size chain keeper? I moved my keeper from my Ti to steel frame without noticing that the seattube diameter on the 2 frames were different. A couple of dereailer shims solved the problem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

My MCR

Hope pro II hubs
    laserdisc trail rims
    super comp spokes
    king headset
    stylo cranks
    moots ti post
    rocket v saddle
    elixer 5 brakes

I love this bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Niner MCR photos/builds-22.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Mine in the mother of all rock gardens.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    All of these look awesome! Anyone have any thoughts on an accent color for a Kermit Green MCR other than red? My husband thinks it's ridiculous, but I'm thinking pink. . .

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bikenut316 View Post
    Are you sure you have the correct size chain keeper? I moved my keeper from my Ti to steel frame without noticing that the seattube diameter on the 2 frames were different. A couple of dereailer shims solved the problem.
    Yeah, I have 3 of the things, one in each size. The Lynskey uses the biggest 35.0mm size, the MCR the smallest 28.6mm. That's all part of my theory that the tube diameters play a part in how much grip and resistance to moving they have.

Ska
    Steel is real.
    I too had the correct size.........slip, slip BANG!

I don't want anyone misunderstanding me here. I'm not knocking Paul or any of their gadgets (I have used many and actually still use their Love Levers on the Niner) they're quality bits and worth the $$. I love them! I just don't believe that this particular keeper is appropriate for this type of service. I know they mention not using it for downhill rigs and such but I'm not convinced one should even use it for XC purposes.

Just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.
    Cheers.
    Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Quote Originally Posted by Circusbike View Post
    All of these look awesome! Anyone have any thoughts on an accent color for a Kermit Green MCR other than red? My husband thinks it's ridiculous, but I'm thinking pink. . .
    Dark green. Lots of salsa parts would work, otherwise, polished alloy.
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Sick Rigid Commuter. How well does it compare to a Roadie?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm thinking of doing a SS build with an MCR frame. What tensioner are (were) you using with this bike? Have you tried running the Niner steel fork with this setup?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Circusbike View Post
    purple accent would be nice

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    So 14 months in how has it been? I just bought an MCR frame and am anxious to build her up, wanted to get some user feedback.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

She is done.

Finally complete and ready for the 24hr Scott in Australia.

Final weight = 10.04kg

mtbr member
    Some updated pictures. About a year old now.

New tires. Cut my bars to 23"... Demo saddle (don't ask). 26.00lbs

mtbr member
    Ride true --> Absolutely sick build!!!!

You might have just converted me to the green over the gray with my soon to be build.

Cheers

Sami
    Sep 2007

Niner MCR Moondust Grey Small

Here is mine:Weight 10,4kg with my old fork Exotic carbon.

Update:With new Niner Carbon Fork:10,2kg.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Niner MCR photos/builds-p1010174.jpg  

Niner MCR photos/builds-niner-mcr-niner-carbon-fork.jpg  

Last edited by Sami Petteri; 10-24-2011 at 12:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Mine. I LOVE LOTS!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Niner MCR photos/builds-p3290326.jpg  

Niner MCR photos/builds-pa170320.jpg  

Niner MCR photos/builds-p6210200.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Outerbike. Moab. Wish it was mine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Niner MCR photos/builds-mcrouterbike2011.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    i'm in the middle of a MCR build right now and I have a pretty novice question (new to MTB sorry), on the Niner site it says that the FD should be a low mount, bottom pull... does bottom pull not indicate the cable coming from the bottom? thanks in advance!

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Yes, the cable pull if from the bottom and all the Niners I have route the cable under the bottom bracket and pull from the bottom. (SIR, JET)
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    i'm pretty sure that the FD cable pull on this bike is top pull though and that's certainly what it looks like in the pics above.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Yup, that's definitely a top pull front. I've got an MCR too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    so weird that the niner site would be wrong. it says "28.6mm front derailleur, low mount - top swing, bottom pull" the rest sounds right and looks right based on all your awesome pictures on this thread.

thanks for the help! now i just need to find the FD I need.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BaconBikeJoe View Post
    so weird that the niner site would be wrong. it says "28.6mm front derailleur, low mount - top swing, bottom pull" the rest sounds right and looks right based on all your awesome pictures on this thread.

thanks for the help! now i just need to find the FD I need.
    The Sir9/Jet would be bottom as the cables are downtube routed, MCR is def top pull.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast