Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    johno
    May 2006

Wheels

Sorry for delayed reply, been off line for a few days + in a different time zone.
    Wheels are Easton Haven. They are tubeless, but suits me to run tubes at the moment cause I'm switching between commute.
    cheers

mtbr member
    22.1 lbs of goodness...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    How does that ride with the carbon fork?

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    My Sir rides great with the Niner Carbon Fork. I rode it 6 months with a Fox RL29 waiting for my new Jet. I only miss the Fox on large hits going downhill.

mtbr member
    I have not had trail time with her yet. Only mod that I have added since the build is a RaceFace chain guard and a no-name chain watcher from one of my single speeds. I have logged about 50 miles around town and so far this is the most fun/satisfying bike I have built. The steel frame and carbon fork seem to get along with each other. Out of the saddle digs will result in the rear twisting a bit. This is not a major concern since I am planted in the saddle most of the time. 1X10 gear with a 36 out back has handled 8% paved climbs with ease while seated. The fork has handled hops up and down from curbs just fine as well as the rough roads of Providence. The steering is laser guided, I think this fork will last because you can pick a line and stay out of trouble. I'll post Sunday with more of a dirt review. Heading to Big River in Rhode Island for some XC riding.

Thanks to Niner for a great bike. I am proud of this build, just need a better motor now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hi,

What FD are you using on the MCR? Usually I have mine 2x9 but when I ride it with slick tires on road sometime I add the big ring (44t). With 3x9 and with a Shimano XT FD M770 I always have some chain rub. It seems to me it's impossible to solve the issue with this derailleur. Does any of you experienced the same problem? Thanks

johno
    May 2006

Front Derailler

Mine is the 2003 XTR 960 series. Works well, no excess chain rub. Did have chain suck problem but minor adjustment sorted that out.

mtbr member
    Better setting... Added a Third Eye Watcher and bashguard. I love this bike. Best word to describe the Niner MCR is: fun.

Photobucket

A plethora of pinatas
    My dirty girl...

Marty

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Anyone else care to add?

Looking for build ideas/color combos here.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Anyone try a 120mm fork on the MCR? I was thinking about taking mine down a lift serviced run (no black diamond stuff, but it's my only bike), and was wondering if that much travel might throw off the handling. Thanks and happy holidays!

p.s. Please post more photos.

mtbr member
    My MCR....Solid Gold, 1x9, Reba, Dt 240S, Flows
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Niner MCR photos/builds-picture-1443.jpg  

Niner MCR photos/builds-picture-1444.jpg  

Niner MCR photos/builds-picture-1445.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

My Niner MCR 9 Rootbeer Baby!

Last edited by lotusoperandi; 08-25-2011 at 07:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    It is slowly coming together.... still waiting on a few parts to arrive.

2kg for the small size

Headset on.

Temporary bars and brakes to test ride..

Love the cranks, super smooth.

Dead smack on 11kg....

With the Enve wheelset, 2 x Racing Ralphs, XX brakes, XTR cassette and a few more Enve parts, I hope to drop it down to 10.4kg... wishful thinking? Fingers crossed

I'll post up again when all the proper parts arrive.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    With that equipment list you should easily make your goal of just under 23 lbs.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I really do hope so

Ultimately I'd like to get it under 22lbs (10kg) but I gotta be realistic about it being a steel frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Temporary wheels, brakes and bars... First ride tomorrow! Can't wait!

Played around with a fish eye lens.

Normal shots. The colour is fantastic!

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Here's mine...........I know I've posted these elsewhere but since this thread got bumped by Ride True (nice bike BTW) I figured I'd post it here. It's appropriate for this thread I think.

First is the build on video.

Then I used it in my most recent ride video.

Anyway, it's all MCR content so........Keep 'em comin'!

Cheers.
    Ska!
    Photobucket
    Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Paul Chainkeeper

Ska!,
    Nice build. Noticed that you have a Paul Comp keeper for your 1x. Do you have trouble with it moving around on you? Every ride on my MCR, when things get really rough and the chain starts moving around, it seems to be enough to move it just a little. Seems like I'm tightening it so much I fear crimping the tubing. I was using a 35.0mm Paul keeper on a Ti bike this season as well, and it never budged. I have a running theory that it's a combo of the smaller diameter tube not providing as much "grab," combined with the slicker painted surface, that allows it to move some. Also, I have to wonder if the Rotor Q-ring may be part of the problem, as that certainly complicates the set-up a little. But I had that same ring on the Ti bike too, so... Anyway, just curious if you had difficulties with yours too. Thanks.

Ska
    Steel is real.
    rwitte I felt the need to reply to you as soon as I read that you are using a Paul keeper as, YES, I indeed had a major problem with the keeper as well.

At first I had the same issues you were having and seeing as it was a new build I was thinking it was just some stuff I needed to fiddle with until I got it right. Well, long story short, I was out (this is back in April when the mtb was just starting to get pulled out for rides) doing a final run with the bike making all the final adjustments as I had a bigger point-to-point race in the next two days and while out of the saddle on a climb (45kms from home no less) I heard a rub, then the start of a second when KABOOM!!!

The keeper had bit into the chain hard enough that it spun right around, folded my chainring over, snapped my chain in two places (don't ask me how that's possible), scratched my seat tube and put a small dent in my down tube before it self destructed and ended up in two pieces on the ground. I'm no rookie, I know how to assemble bikes and I know not to pedal through stuff, this was in an instant in the aggressive part of a climb.

I was on my a$$, parts all over the place, banging the crap out of my front ring with a rock to straighten it for a good hour before I reassembled everything (minus the destroyed keeper of course) good enough for me to get home (only 3 gears to choose from). I was pretty bummed as I really wanted to work this thing in the race.

I ended up putting it back together as a 3x9 but have full intention of going back to 1x9. Despite having the 3 rings up front I never change gears up there and I've been using it as a 1x9. I'm used to it now so...

My theory (after the fact) is that there is sufficient flex in the BB area while under full load to take up any of the little space there is between the keeper and the chain. I think when I approach this again, I'll go with a keeper than mounts to the BB shell so that it moves with the frame. Steel is beautiful stuff, I love it to bits but I was bummed at this whole deal.

Interesting how your Ti frame doesn't have that issue as much. Less flex down there perhaps?

IMHO, get that keeper off you Niner before it's too late. Go with something else if you're riding any trails with it. Seriously.
    Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Mine's a SIR9 not an MCR9, but the Paul's Keeper has worked great for me so far. I put protective tape on the frame before mounting it, so perhaps that provides more grip so that it doesn't slip. Or maybe I'm just not strong enough to flex the frame enough (I'm 150 lbs. and not a particularly strong climber). I also have the mounting bolts torqued down quite tight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Niner MCR photos/builds-niner%2520build%2520final%2520002.jpg  

Niner MCR photos/builds-niner%2520build%2520final%2520007.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks GREAT Jabrabu. I'm loving the white on white. Just out of curiosity, how much does it weigh?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JSumner13 View Post
    Looks GREAT Jabrabu. I'm loving the white on white. Just out of curiosity, how much does it weigh?
    24.7 lbs. with XT Trail pedals. It's not weight weenie, but not bad. Terralogic forks are kind of heavy, XT Trail pedals aren't light, and I have an alloy bar and bar ends. It all works flawlessly and rides great, though.

It was originally a root beer frame, but I had it stripped and powdercoated to match the fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    24.7 lbs. with XT Trail pedals. It's not weight weenie, but not bad. Terralogic forks are kind of heavy, XT Trail pedals aren't light, and I have an alloy bar and bar ends. It all works flawlessly and rides great, though.

It was originally a root beer frame, but I had it stripped and powdercoated to match the fork.
    Pretty much exactly what my MCR weighs.....The powdercoat came out great

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Moondust Grey

Medium
    X9 group 2x10, 26-39 Crank, 12-36 Cassette
    Stan Crest with 2.2 Ikon tires tubeless
    Reba 100mm
    Thomson seatpost and stem
    24.5 lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Niner MCR photos/builds-mcr-9.jpg  

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast