mtbr member

Niner MCR 9 stolen//starting over

So my MCR was stolen from my locked garage last week. After dealing with all of the anger, loss, anger, sadness, ANGER, that go along with having one's bike stolen, it's time to move on & start looking at buying another bike. I loved my MCR, but i'm wondering about upgrading to an AIR 9 carbon for a lighter, stiffer frame. + My road bike is carbon & I like it's dampening and stiffness.
    I've heard a lot of bad things about the AIR's EBB, & don't want to shell out big $$$ for a bike that creaks.
    I'm 6'2" 200#.
    Any thoughts?
    "Prollyisnotprobably"

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The Air9 RDO doesn't have and cannot run an EBB, it can only run geared like you want (?). Also it comes in Kermit green.

wnymba-imba ~VP
    Sep 2009
    You want a geared bike I'm assuming? I ran an air9c geared and ss and it worked great. Maybe check out the new sir9?!
    www.wnymba.org
    Building trails and keeping them open...

Niner Air9C

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozynigma View Post
    The Air9 RDO doesn't have and cannot run an EBB, it can only run geared like you want (?). Also it comes in Kermit green.
    Well, I'm looking to run a geared bike. Niner's website shows they have a AIR9-C, and an AIR9-C RDO. I'm interested in the AIR-9 C which is not as race oriented as the RDO. Spec's show a CYA bottom bracket w/ EBB , Which I understand is causing problems such as creaking that a lot of people are talking about on here.
    So , is this creaking problem only with the single peed? Somebody please enlighten me.
    "Prollyisnotprobably"

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bridger View Post
    Well, I'm looking to run a geared bike. Niner's website shows they have a AIR9-C, and an AIR9-C RDO. I'm interested in the AIR-9 C which is not as race oriented as the RDO. Spec's show a CYA bottom bracket w/ EBB , Which I understand is causing problems such as creaking that a lot of people are talking about on here.
    So , is this creaking problem only with the single peed? Somebody please enlighten me.
    Bridger, the creaking is only with the Niner Biocentric EBB, there are other threads on this.

Pretty sure the EBB is on the SIR9, One9, Air9C. It is not on the Air9C RDO, MCR, Air9 alloy.

Although it costs you a few more dollars if you want carbon and want gears go the Air 9 Carbon RDO and skip the EBB.

If you don't need carbon and like the classic look then buy another steel MCR. While I would love a couple of carbon Niners in the stable I currently have none and can't justify the increased cost over the steel and alloy versions of the bikes that I do have. (1xSIR9 Rigid SS mtb, 1xSIR9 Rigid SS commuter, 1xJet9 Alloy 3x9, 1xAir9 Rigid 2x9)

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    The EBB is for SS only.
    I have 2012 Alum Niner one SS. Great frame with no EBB issues.
    My other Bike has a carbon frame, but I believe that the 2012 Niner Air Alum hydro will be as good as, minus the carbon amplifying small noises and gear change.
    As other people said if you go with Carbon you might as well grab the Kermit RDO...
    Flash29C2
    Scalpel 29C1
    Niner One9 SingleSpeed RDO fork
    Supersix Evo 1 Hi Mod D/A

wnymba-imba ~VP
    Sep 2009
    I haven't had any problems with the cya inserts non ebb in the air9c. I have the standard English threaded cya insert.
    www.wnymba.org
    Building trails and keeping them open...

Niner Air9C

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor69PRS View Post
    I haven't had any problems with the cya inserts non ebb in the air9c. I have the standard English threaded cya insert.
    Yeah thanks, correction on my earlier post. The EBB is optional on the Air9C. So it should not creak running geared and using the correct inserts.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    you fit pretty close to me. I am 6'2"@ 215lbs. I have a large A9C. i run it geared with XTR drive train and brakes. Hope/crest wheels. i have no creaking regardless of the abuse i give this bike. For geared you run a CYA insert that presses in like a headset. I have the standard threaded shimano BB. It is an amazing ride, like you I like the carbon feel. This bike delivers in spades and is a far superior bike than I am rider. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me. i check in every few days or so