Thread: Niner + Lefty

mtbr member
    May 2006

Niner + Lefty

Hello all,

Long story short I cracked my Cannondale Flash 29er frame and may be getting a NIner Air 9 frame to replace it.

I currently have a Carbon Lefty 80mm fork set-up for the FLash 29er - hoping that I can use it on a Niner frame and wondering if anyone here has done this? WIll the offset of the lefty cause any issues with the handling of the Air 9?

I understand I will need the adapter, but does anyone have any experience on how this works on a Niner frame and how it handles? I need an XL Air 9 frame - will I run into any problems with the head tube length and the project 321 adapter? Any pics?

Cheers All
    Last edited by XC23; 08-28-2010 at 05:00 AM.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by XC23
    Hello all,

Long story short I cracked my Cannondale Flash 29er frame and may be getting a NIner Air 9 frame to replace it.

I currently have a Carbon Lefty 80mm fork set-up for the FLash 29er - hoping that I can use it on a Niner frame and wondering if anyone here has done this? WIll the offset of the lefty cause any issues with the handling of the Air 9?

I understand I will need the adapter, but does anyone have any experience on how this works on a Niner frame and how it handles? I need an XL Air 9 frame - will I run into any problems with the head tube length and the project 321 adapter? Any pics?

Cheers All
    Hi XC23,

I don't have any experience with the lefty, but one of our shops (www.goldenbikeshop.com) did build up this A9C with the lefty/conversion kit. The build went awesome according to Adam and this fully geared bike ended up right around 19 pounds. It pulled a sub 9 hours at the Leadville 100 as well by Blake.

So it works! Any details in particular I'd call Adam.

Brett
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Niner + Lefty-a9c-blake.jpg  

Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    yap, i have been watching this a9c with lefty all week during the breck epic endurance stage race. with my partner sitting on it. my frame own arrived yesterday.

adam @ goldenbikeshop did a great job setting up the bikes. no problems in 250miles and 50.000" vertical of beating up the bikes on colorado singletrails ...

adam used some tricks though.

PNW
    mtbr member
    I'm affraid it can't be done.
    With a set distance between clamps of 138mm, a 120mm HT and a typical headset stack height of 30mm, it just won't fit
    I have a Lefty on my medium Air9, it will also work on a large but not an XL

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    you need a lefty with XL clamp

mtbr member
    Are we talking about the carbon or aluminum air nine?
    Jake
    Project321
    877-584-7321
    http://www.project321.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I've got a 2011 cannondale flash 1 size m, would like to move all components & fort to a niner air 9 alloy size s or m 2012? Possible? Hard to do?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I've got a Lefty on my Air 9 (size L) and love it. I can't remember which fork size it is though, I think it is the 80mm. Honestly, best thing is to shoot Project 321 an email and talk to them. They are an Authorized Cannondale Lefty Dealer and they also make the adapter to mount on other bikes.

I talked to Jake when I called and he sorted me out - he also rides an Air 9 so he understood my concerns. I was really concerned in being able to amount the fork on more than 1 bike as I have visions of mounting it on an Air 9 Carbon possibly next year. It stands to reason it should fit on both bikes but spending that much $$ one wants to be sure. As it turns out it does, but would require a different adapter as the A9 C has the tapered Head Tube - no problem though, I would just need to order that adapter and the Lefty can be swapped over.

Install was easy, order the adapter, and mount the fork (or Chopstick as I prefer to call it!).

Here are a couple pic's to whet your whistle!

Hope that helps, if you need more info, shoot me a PM. I know I had a hard time finding specific answers when I was doing mine.

D
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

very cool

now I really want to do it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osteo View Post
    I've got a Lefty on my Air 9 (size L) and love it. I can't remember which fork size it is though, I think it is the 80mm. Honestly, best thing is to shoot Project 321 an email and talk to them. They are an Authorized Cannondale Lefty Dealer and they also make the adapter to mount on other bikes.

I talked to Jake when I called and he sorted me out - he also rides an Air 9 so he understood my concerns. I was really concerned in being able to amount the fork on more than 1 bike as I have visions of mounting it on an Air 9 Carbon possibly next year. It stands to reason it should fit on both bikes but spending that much $$ one wants to be sure. As it turns out it does, but would require a different adapter as the A9 C has the tapered Head Tube - no problem though, I would just need to order that adapter and the Lefty can be swapped over.

Install was easy, order the adapter, and mount the fork (or Chopstick as I prefer to call it!).

Here are a couple pic's to whet your whistle!

Hope that helps, if you need more info, shoot me a PM. I know I had a hard time finding specific answers when I was doing mine.

D
    Hey, what's the weight on that?

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by hellocook View Post
    you need a lefty with XL clamp
    ^ This.

It is all about stack height.
    You really only have 137mm to play with and that has to include the Zero Stack headset, which at their slimest still rings in around 14mm. [EDIT: I should add, if you go with an XL Lefty, it provides an additional inch of stack height]

I have three carbon lefties
    - 2010 Lefty Max Carbon PBR 140mm XL (converted to 110mm for 29'er)
    - 2009 Lefty Carbon DLR OPI 80mm (pretty much the same as yours)
    - 2006 Lefty Speed Carbon DLR2 110mm

The first two are headed for an RDO, and an EMD I have on order (the RDO is in, the EMD is expected around new years). A medium and small. I could have used any two of the Lefty's but wanted the larger a-c (and travel), of the PBR on the RDO, and the XL offers future flexability.

When adding up the stack height you need to factor a little for the way Project 321 (and Experimental Prototype - I have received the P321 adapter, and am waiting on the PE adapter) convert their standard adapters to tapered adapters which is basically an additional spacer that you need to factor another ~2mm for.

I can't wait to install both of my Lefty's on Niner's!
    Last edited by NS2000X; 12-05-2011 at 07:33 AM.
    2x10
    '12 Niner Jet RDO 22.9 lb
    1x1
    '09 Cannondale F29er 1 20.1 lb
    '10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Any reason you picked the EMD over a Air....other than cost?

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by jrange View Post
    Any reason you picked the EMD over a Air....other than cost?
    I assume this was targeted at my since I mentioned an EMD.

I wanted to order two RDO's but my wife wanted me to hold off dropping that much cash on a bike for her at the moment. So I ordered an EMD and will suggest she shrug off the minimal cost. Plus the Hot Tamale is a great colour, something that is important.

EDIT: PS: My wife is on mat leave, when she goes back to work, I'll suggest a small RDO again (and sell the EMD).
    2x10
    1x1
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by jrange View Post
    I've got a 2011 cannondale flash 1 size m, would like to move all components & fort to a niner air 9 alloy size s or m 2012? Possible? Hard to do?
    Easy.
    The S (105mm head tube)
    THe M (110mm headtube)

Leave lots of room.
    I ordered tapered Cane Creek 40 Zero Stack headsets that have a stack height total of 14mm.

Don't forget to order a Lefty 29'er conversion kit also. I got one from Project 321 for $35 (unless your Flash is a flash 29'er, then you're already set).
    2x10
    1x1
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by billmania View Post
    Hey, what's the weight on that?
    I think I am just a hair over 22lbs. With the initial build I was at 21lbs before the Lefty (I had Niner Carbon Forks) but gained a bit since, but then lost some with the Niner Seat Post.

I'll loose some more once I go to a 1x9, but that is a winter project.

D
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Anyone here have any experience riding the 80mm Lefty vs a Rock Shox SID XX WC 100mm. I would prefer more travel on the A9C but prefer the performance of a lefty.

NS2000X, have you ridden the Lefty Max 110mm 29er yet? How much does it weigh?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannondale4Life View Post
    Anyone here have any experience riding the 80mm Lefty vs a Rock Shox SID XX WC 100mm. I would prefer more travel on the A9C but prefer the performance of a lefty.

NS2000X, have you ridden the Lefty Max 110mm 29er yet? How much does it weigh?
    You know there is a 90mm and 100mm travel 29er lefty now?
    Also, we have made a lot of 110mm 29er lefties from 90mm 29er lefties rather
    than from Max's. It's a little harder to do but pre 2012 it makes a lighter
    lefty.
    Jake
    Project321
    877-584-7321
    http://www.project321.com/

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinbiter View Post
    You know there is a 90mm and 100mm travel 29er lefty now?
    Also, we have made a lot of 110mm 29er lefties from 90mm 29er lefties rather
    than from Max's. It's a little harder to do but pre 2012 it makes a lighter
    lefty.
    Hi Jake,
    if you convert a 90mm Lefty to a 110mm Lefty does the axle to crown grow appropriately, I assume it must so you have the geometry that would be beneficial.

@Cannondale4LIfe - I haven't ridden my converted Lefty Max as I am still waiting on my frame. However the 140mm Lefty Max on my scale weighs 2.9 lb (1315 grams).

This compares to my older 110mm Lefty Speed Carbon DLR2 that weighs 1440 grams (3.17 lb).

Any carbon Lefty with Solo Air, and OPI lowers is going to be light!
    2x10
    1x1
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb