mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Niner Jet Rdo Stealth Dropper Hack

Haven't seen this been done anywhere and wanted a solution to run a Stealth dropper. Not the cleanest of cable paths but it works.
    I have a Stealth KS Lev lying around that I wanted to use.
    This hack works for an older Jet 9 RDO that usually shouldn't be able to accept a Stealth dropper.

What I did was accepted the fact I'd never be running a front derailleur ever again then I widened the front derailleur mount that goes through into the seat tube. I widened with a 6mm drill piece, it's about 4.5 before you start. This allows the dropper cable to pass through and up the seat tube. You are not drilling carbon, you are pretty much just removing the threads and a small layer of metal from the front derailleur mount.
    I'm still playing around with final cable placement, you need to be careful not to bend the housing too much otherwise the wire will stick.
    I find the current position works the best.

Yes you could go but an external dropper, and yes it isn't perfect clean, but it works for a ghetto hack. Niner Jet Rdo Stealth Dropper Hack-img_2746.jpg

Hopefully this benefits someone, I imagine with a reverb you'll be able to run more of a bend in the cable and potentially run it down under the BB and up through the down tube.

Chilling out
    You could also get either a rigid or flexible 'noodle' to route the cable more closely to the frame, and away from the rings (think v-brake noodle). May be "fun" to setup but may make a cleaner install.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    You could also get either a rigid or flexible 'noodle' to route the cable more closely to the frame, and away from the rings (think v-brake noodle). May be "fun" to setup but may make a cleaner install.
    Fun is an understatement. Haha. The length of the seat housing has the be perfect, then if you ever want to adjust the seatpost height it's complicated. I thought of doing something like that, but extremely complicated. Also need to make sure the housing matches up with the noodle inside the seat tube (which you can't see)
    Would love to get it cleaner, but all the end of the day I just want to ride my bike