mtbr member

Niner Jet 9 RDO with XX1 Review

I've been on my Niner Jet 9 RDO for over a year now. This is the 2011/2012 model with the aluminum rocker. I recently switched from SRAM XX to SRAM XX1.

Man does the simplified look of XX1 look sweet:

photo IMG_1592.jpg

photo IMG_1593.jpg

I dropped almost a half pound, going from 22.7 pounds to 22.2 pounds, which for a full suspension frame in an XL size, isn't too shabby (the Easton XC90 wheels and Sid WC fork and other carbon bits do the trick).

photo IMG_1596.jpg

My first impression was wow, my bike looks naked. My left hand has only a brake to play with, and with no derailleur everything is very simple down there. The second thing I noticed is how quiet it is. I read reviews about this, but I didn't quite expect it to be so quiet. I could mostly hear the sound of my tires crunching on the singletrack, thats it. The gearing with the 30 tooth chainring up front felt very similar to my 2x10 setup in the lower gears (26-39 up front, 11-36 cassette). I'm very comfortable with the 30 tooth chainring on the steepest of climbs. I'm going to test out a 32 tooth chainring up front, I think the gearing would be fine on that size too. I took it down a fast descent down a gravel road and didn't come close to using all the high gears.

This last weekend I took it out on the 76 mile, 14,000 vertical feet PCP2P race in Park City. XX1 performed flawlessly, and I never was lacking any gears, both on the high or low end.

So far the ONLY downside I can possibly see to going 1x11 is that sometimes the front derailleur can be a quick way to switch quickly up or down gear ratios. XX1 will shift through five gears with a sturdy push on the trigger though, so it really works great.

I was somewhat nervous about switching over, but after riding it for several weeks I'm totally hooked. Its so simple, quiet, and even lighter, right now it doesn't appear that I'll ever go back to front derailleurs. If anyone is interested, PM me, I'm selling my old SRAM XX group. Cheers and ride on.

photo IMG_1674.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice! How'd you do at PCP2P? I did it three years ago and had a bad day, though the race itself was awesome.

I switched to 1x10 on my Jet 9 RDO recently and find that gearing was quite sufficient. I've done a few races up in Breckenridge (Colorado) most notably the Breck Epic and found with the 1x10 setup the 11-36 with a 32 on the front the only issue was on the last day on a dirt road descent I was out of gears and was caught by three people just because I couldn't pedal any faster. So, I'm considering XX1 so that I can get that 10t cog on the back!

When you are in the 10t do you find any chain slap on the top of the chain stay? On my setup I am seeing marks between where the chain guard ends and the chain stay and seat stay come together. It's only about an inch of exposed surface, though I'll probably cover it with some ballistics tape.

mtbr member
    I did okay on the P2P, I flatted my front tire with a major puncture that wouldn't seal, so I had to put a tube in my front, and my rear tire had a slow leak that I had to put air in 4 or 5 times throughout the race, which was distracting. I also spent a 1/2 mile off course, despite the course being marked very well. P2P is an awesome race!

Those high speed dirt road descents are the only conceivable place where you might need the higher gear provided by XX1. But you also get rid of the chain guide. Chain slap on XX1 is non-existent, and you can read about how the SRAM engineers really set to work and solved this issue.

My only other complaint about XX1 is I wish the cassette's biggest cog was 40 teeth instead of 42, this would provide a smoother shift from the 36 tooth cog. Inn steep areas like Utah, you spend a lot of time in these low gears, and I would rather have the precise modulation between these gears rather than the big jump.

mtbr member
    Copy cat...lol....

That's my bike except your's is somehow a pound lighter than mine.

XX1 is great but I'm on my 2 derailleur in a four month period.

mtbr member
    ^ You have nice taste! My carbon wheels, plus the carbon-crowned Sid world cup fork and other bits probably account for the difference.

mtbr member
    Damn.. I want XX1.

Looking at a 1x10 build this winter, but would really like to jump on this. I've ridden it also, and it seems to be everything it's supposed to be, and more. Now just need some for myself!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That is crazy light for an XXL frame, I'm impressed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    That's a low weight ride. You got me beat by 3 pounds.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Really nice! I just put a Type 2 XO derailleur on my 2x10 Jet 9 RDO and will ride this rest of this season, but I've already started collecting the parts for an XX1 conversion. I'm going to wait until next spring to switch things over but your post is very reassuring that this will be the way to go.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Niner Jet 9 RDO with XX1 Review

Wow - I have Enve Wheels, stem, seatpost and bar and I am 24.5 pounds with racing Ralphs I have a 140 gram saddle and xtr pedals. Either my scale is broken or my fox fork is 2x as heavy as the Rockshox.

COTA member
    My J9 RDO has Enve XC wheels and all the carbon bits and a SRAM X01 crank with a 1x10 x 30T setup and Fox TALAS 120m fork. Weight is 24.5 pounds. I think you are on to something about the Fox fork being heavy. I have not found any climb that I am unable to make with the 30T x 36T gear.

mtbr member
    Yep, something seems off. My wheels have to be heavier than yours at 1620 grams, my cockpit is all RDO so probably close in weight to yours, our saddle and tires are a wash and my SID would be lighter than your Fox but not enough to make a lb of difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by onobed View Post
    Wow - I have Enve Wheels, stem, seatpost and bar and I am 24.5 pounds with racing Ralphs I have a 140 gram saddle and xtr pedals. Either my scale is broken or my fox fork is 2x as heavy as the Rockshox.

mtbr member
    Speaking on my bike, the Sid world cup fork much lighter than anything by Fox, the Easton EC90 XC wheels are a ridiculous 1416 grams, and other bits like the eggbeater 11 pedals are a mere 174 grams, the Ritchey wcs c260 stem is only 103 grams, it all adds up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Love the XX1

Niner Jet 9 RDO with XX1 Review-img_0433-resize.jpgXX1 is the only way to go. My Jet weighs 23.7

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Nice RDO, like those colors...

mtbr member
    Great bikes! My Jet is a bit heavier, but I suppose it is mainly due to the Fox Talas fork up front. XX1 changed my riding experience on this bike big time!

-boom

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by onobed View Post
    Those Easton wheels are lighter than the Enve hoops by at least 55 grams that is to say if you have the XC Enve's with the DT 240 hubs. If you have the ENVE all mountain wheel with DT 240 hubs than we are talking a 200 grams or more weight increase over those carbon Easton's that the Boz has. So if you have the all mountains we're talking almost a half pound in just hoops right there.

Next up would be the fork. The Rochshox fork he has is 1564 grams or 3.448 lbs compared to the Fox talas (120mm) fork at 1896.02 grams or 4.18 lbs., that is 3/4 pound difference just in the fork right there and then in wheels you are easily at a pound or more as I said above.

Enve bar, stem, and post are nice and built for durability and reliability no doubt, but honestly Enve doesn't build the lightest bars, stems and posts. I've compared them to many others and there are lighter bars, stems and posts out there. I'm sure the Boz has lighter bar, stem, and post for more weight savings there. He only shared the weight on his stem.

I wouldn't do it but if you switched out your bar, stem, and post for lighter ones that are out there and swapped your fork for a SID 120mm or a regular Fox CTD 120mm you'd be probably very close to the Boz. I wouldn't worry about it though, all those Enve goodies on your RDO tells me you have a machine built to take a beating.

mtbr member
    Well I liked the XX1 so much I also put it on my hardtail. Here it is in Fall 'cross mode, meaning I swap the fork out for a rigid and put on some light duty tires. As pictured here it weighs 16.5 lbs, in "regular" mode with the Sid world cup fork and Schwalbe Racing Ralphs it weighs 19.5 lbs. Not bad for an XL frame!

photo photo-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Nice, real nice...