mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Niner Hardtail vs Jet 9 - Large

Ok, I'm riding a Large Niner EMD 1x9 now and LOVE it. Love the way it tracks, the way it steers, rolls over roots and rocks, the way the geometry fits me, the whole 9(er) yards. However, my lower back is screaming at me to get back on a full suspension bike. So, my question is this:

Anyone gone from a Large Niner Hardtail (EMD, SIR9, Air9, etc) to a Large Jet 9? I'm sure your out there...but, please compare the geometry for me. Big difference? Subtle difference? Etc?

Thanks!
    "...quit hitting me with your hammer"
    www.msmtb.org
    Niner EMD 1x9 ~ Niner SIR9 SS

mtbr member
    AGrant do you really need a geometry comparison of two bikes that have nearly the same geometry? You've checked their website right?

TT length - same
    HT angle - same
    ST angle - Jet 74 EMD 73
    Difference - close enough

The fit between my Jet and EMD was exactly the same. What else do you need to know?

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004
    i recently swapped from a sir9 to a jet...only change....different seat post... fit is like buttah....i even got a couple of rides on a rip9 with virtually same components(stem length and height mainly) and yep, felt super comfy immediately.

all my rides are on mediums...
    disclaimer: i (NO LONGER) live with my mom...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks. Yes, I've compared the actual numbers, but I was looking more for your latter statement, that the fit was spot on...so thanks for that. The main reason I was asking is that a buddy of mine recently got a Salsa Big Mama, and MAN did that bike feel BIG. Bigger than my EMD for sure. I'm sticking with Niner for sure, so I'll go with the Jet 9 and keep on rollin!
    "...quit hitting me with your hammer"
    www.msmtb.org
    Niner EMD 1x9 ~ Niner SIR9 SS

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    AGrant - I've ridden a Jet and a Air9 for sometime now and the geometry feels no different to me. For me a 110 stem and a Thomson setback post on each, but the Jet will take a shorter post.

I think it is a fair question though as I've got on a SF hardtail size Large that has similar numbers and controls and it felt much smaller. Puzzled me but it doesn't matter since I'm not buying a SF.