Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Niner frame blowout at Bike Bling....

13K views 77 replies 39 participants last post by  goodguy82 
#1 ·
Just got an email about a Niner frame sale at BB....

Air 9 carbon for $1289...

Jet 9 RDO Carbon for $1649...

Air 9 (2012) for $510

Air 9 (2011) for $415

#50 ·
Bought a Rip9 from them a couple of years ago and they posted the deal on Facebook.

ON the changes and discounts:

My understanding is the new RDOs have a 142mm rear axle and carbon rockers. As opposed to years past when everything seemed to be delayed, the new frames showed up earlier than expected so Niner is/was covered up in old and new versions so they're clearing inventory. I'm no insider, so this could all be completely wrong too.

#56 ·
I just bought a One 9 frame for $395

Bike Bling is killing everyone else on the price. Comp Cyclist didn't have large in stock. I bought the Niner tang fork at Jenson and the raw One 9. I couldn't afford it either, but . . .
This will be my first Niner.

#57 ·
Ordered an Air 9 frame. Couldn't pass up the price. I have a bunch of parts and a nice Roval Wheel set sitting around so I only need to buy a rear derailleur, a chain, and some small stuff to build up a complete bike.

I have had nothing but good luck with Bike Bling and I've probably made fifteen or so orders from them in the last two years. They usually ship in a reasonable amount of time and ordering is easy. The few times I've had to talk to someone about an order they were very courteous and handled the problem professionally (out of stock items).

#59 ·
Just spoke with one of the online sites selling the Air9 RDO frames at blowout prices. Evidently the special pricing is approved by Niner which must mean updates to the RDO frame are on the way ... any guesses as to what they'll be?

• 142 spacing
  • rear thru-axle
  • updated cable routing
  • rear brake mount change
  • adjustments for new 1x11
  • geometry update

#61 ·
I called and spoke with Ralph at Niner Bikes about this yesterday because I want a green frame, and I can't find one on sale. He said AIR9 RDO is not changing, they are just closing out the black/licorice color to make way for their new arctic white color. The green frames continue for 2013 with no changes, and are not on sale. No design changes in the works he knew about. So if you want a killer deal and like black, get it now. I just can't do another black bike.

#60 ·
One other thing that seems a bit odd with the recent discounts. I notice the Air9 RDO frames are being sold cheaper than the Air9 Carbon frames at many online sites? I would have thought the RDO version would always be a bit higher priced as a newer frame?

#65 ·
Well, I finally pulled the plug and purchased a licorice Air9 RDO ... just couldn't pass up the deal. My first choice of frame color was black so this deal worked out especially well for me. Now it's time to pick out all the goodies and put it together :)

Only other bike I thought about was the Jet RDO, but I really wanted something in the 20-22 lb range, and part of me missed riding a hardtail. I've been riding a Jet9 for the past 2+ seasons and will keep it for fun/recreation rides, and maybe even rougher/longer races. Hopefully I'm happy switching to a lighter h/t for racing ..... first carbon frame for me!

#67 ·
As ordered and as advertised, Bike Bling came through (like they always do) with the frame and all the parts.

Being built as we speak but I decided to go with a 1x 10 configuration. My bike store is ordering the XX1 crankset with a 28-tooth chainring and a medium cage Shadow derailleur with the clutch so I don't need a chain guide/retainer. I'm using my Roval wheelset from my Carbon Stumpjumper as well as the Reba SL dual air fork that I replaced on the Stumpy with a Niner carbon fork.

It was bit of an impulse thing. I had intended to buy a cheap frame and use my existing parts to build it up...but that Air 9 frame looks pretty nice and it seemed a shame not to build it up properly. I'm recycling the saddle, the seat post, and the handlebars as well but the rest is being ordered. Price went from under a thousand for the entire build to just under two thousand.

I got the Anodized Licorice color. By the way, I saw the Tang and Black frame built up into a really nice bike at my LBS. It was the sharpest-looking color combination I have ever seen and was matched with a Tang fork. I know we're supposed to eschew esthetics in favor of functionality but that bike was a work of art.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.