Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Niner Flat Top Carbon Bar Feedback?

Who is running the Niner Flat Top Carbon bar? Is it all it is cracked up to be? How is stiffness? Is weight accurate?

Twin Six METAL Team
    I have one on my SIR, and I love it. I'm definitely going to use one when I build up a JET next year. I'd say it's pretty stiff. However, I haven't really focused on that too much. I will say though, that it feels a lot better than the Easton carbon bars that I've used in the past. I don't remember about the weight...it's light.

Chocolate Milk
    I agree i also have this bar on my sir 9 single speed. I am about to buy another pair for my superfly 1x9. Its a perfect width for mu style of riding. I have truvativ noirs on my sf now, and will sell those off. Very stiff and dampening. I really like the niner carbon they are doing a really good job.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I am selling one that was never used and one I cut to 680mm that I had for my two Niners. I like the Syntace Carbon Vector better. It is more comfortable with the slight rise.

Chocolate Milk
    Cool what color graphic on the uncut? Pm me on all the details. I might take it

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    It's _really_ stiff. I was used to carbon bars having a slight but perceptible give to them, this one does not. Ends of the bars are very well reinforced, did not feel nervous at all about clamping down my Ergon bars ends on them. My only complaint is that with as stiff as it is, it really doesn't help in taking any sting out of the ride as other carbon bars do. With that upside sort-of off the table, an aluminum bar becomes more appealing, all you are saving is weight and flat alloy bars are pretty dang light. For my dollar, I would be pretty tempted to go alloy if I were making the decision again, but I am not unhappy with the carbon bar.

Chocolate Milk

Stiff Doesn't Mean Zingy Non-Dampening

I hear where you're coming from on the price, but have to disagree on the bars stiffness being stingy and therefor just as good as aluminum. I think the main thing about carbon that I prefer is that it takes the zing and muffles it down to a muted vibration. Something that has allowed me to ride much longer. It also depends on what you're riding...if you're on a zingy aluminium frame vs steel vs carbon its going to contribute more or less. I have also noticed that on my steel sir 9 with the niner carbon fork its a really good combo, same goes for my superfly...so I would have to say this bar is laterally stiff (so you can crank on it like a dh aluminum bar on the ups) but in no way does that mean its vibrationally stiff and going to rattle and zing your hands. Its a good bar...lots of companies are trying to model this years and 2012's lines after the width and specs.

Quote Originally Posted by evilsjg View Post
    It's _really_ stiff. I was used to carbon bars having a slight but perceptible give to them, this one does not. Ends of the bars are very well reinforced, did not feel nervous at all about clamping down my Ergon bars ends on them. My only complaint is that with as stiff as it is, it really doesn't help in taking any sting out of the ride as other carbon bars do. With that upside sort-of off the table, an aluminum bar becomes more appealing, all you are saving is weight and flat alloy bars are pretty dang light. For my dollar, I would be pretty tempted to go alloy if I were making the decision again, but I am not unhappy with the carbon bar.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by peehaw View Post
    I hear where you're coming from on the price, but have to disagree on the bars stiffness being stingy and therefor just as good as aluminum. I think the main thing about carbon that I prefer is that it takes the zing and muffles it down to a muted vibration.
    Yes, carbon bars typically do that, but in my opinion this particular carbon bar does not. At least, the "muting" effect is much less than it is on other carbon bars with which I have experience. Also, all aluminum bars are not created equal, some ride as well as a typical carbon bar. I cannot comment on the Niner alloy bar.

Chocolate Milk

Hmmm

Yeah I don't know anything about the niner aluminium bar but, i've had noir team carbon, easton ml xc carbon, sunline v1 os alu, bontrager rl big sweep alu, and the stiffness of these niner bars are incomparable to any i have tried with the added comfort of carbon and its dampening. I also run ESI Chunky foam grips that help quite a lot too.

Yes, carbon bars typically do that, but in my opinion this particular carbon bar does not. At least, the "muting" effect is much less than it is on other carbon bars with which I have experience. Also, all aluminum bars are not created equal, some ride as well as a typical carbon bar. I cannot comment on the Niner alloy bar.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I agree. My Syntace Vector and Ritchey WCS were better here. I also did not like the 9 degree on the flat bar. But to each their own.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm running it on my Rip9, 2012 Air9, The bar is solid and wide I highly recommend it.
    Last edited by cdsdad; 11-02-2011 at 04:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'd have to agree with evilsjg on this one as well. I am running the niner carbon bar and it is brutally stiff (note: trimmed to ~26 inches due to narrow spaces between the trees where I tend to ride). In comparison, my old Maxm carbon bar was far more forgiving as were my last two aluminum bars (likely due to their 25.4 mm clamp diameter vs the niner's 31.8 mm).

With the niner bar, I get minor hand discomfort that I never had before. It isn't a huge deal, but its enough that I have tried four different sets of gloves and five different grips in the last three months trying to mitigate the minor discomfort.

As for carbon bars filtering removing trail buzz, I have only noticed a significant benefit when running a rigid fork. For example, my Maxm carbon bar is better in regards to trail buzz than my old titec aluminum bar on my fully rigid single speed. However, the carbon bar (either the Maxm or the Niner) do not noticably filter trail buzz on my Jet 9 or my old Titus Switchblade (both with 100 mm forks).

-Nutball

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Not enough sweep for me. Back to my Syntace Vector 12*. About an 11 deg Salsa is the smallest amount of sweep I can get by with.

I don't ride enough!
    Oct 2007
    I switched from a Race Face Next 3/4 SL to a Niner Carbon Flat Top and couldn't be happier. The extra width and drop is great, but the feel is much better. Very plush!

Not much else to add except this photo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Has anyone compared these to Enve (edge) flat bars? They have the same sweep and length I believe and are priced relatively close to the same. I ask because I am running Edge bars on my new bike (new to me) but they are cut pretty short at 640 and I might need some wider bars. Any input would be great. Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hey WB, I'm running some Enve bars (flat ones) and there is abit of flex in them. Coming in at 700mm I think they are slightly shorter then the Niner ones.

I've got a Niner carbon bar on order to fit onto my One 9, will give some feedback on the Niner carbon bar vs the Enve when when the new rig is up and running.

Here is a pic of the Enve bars.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride True View Post
    Hey WB, I'm running some Enve bars (flat ones) and there is abit of flex in them. Coming in at 700mm I think they are slightly shorter then the Niner ones.

I've got a Niner carbon bar on order to fit onto my One 9, will give some feedback on the Niner carbon bar vs the Enve when when the new rig is up and running.

Here is a pic of the Enve bars.

How do you like that stem? I thought about getting one but was too nervous because I am around 200 lbs and 6'2". They look killer but how do they perform?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Bringing this thread back to life - anyone have any long term feedback on the Niner carbon bar? Comparison to the enve bar also welcome...

mtbr member
    I have the 3T ARX LTD and the Niner flat top carbon bar. The 3T has some flex. The Niner bar is very stiff and rigid in comparison, even for a wider bar. I love the drop and sweep on the Niner bars, but they are a little harsher to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Heck my 3T roads bars are really stiff, never seen any 3T MTB bars that are wide enough. Thinking off giving the niner bars a go over the enve bars, to be a little different. We'll see if stiffness is a problem, most of my rides these days are less than 2 1/2 hours so should be ok.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinner View Post
    Heck my 3T roads bars are really stiff, never seen any 3T MTB bars that are wide enough. Thinking off giving the niner bars a go over the enve bars, to be a little different. We'll see if stiffness is a problem, most of my rides these days are less than 2 1/2 hours so should be ok.
    I have the 119 gr ARX LTD 640mm and there is some flex compared to the Niner bar which weighs 50% more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophobe View Post
    I have the 119 gr ARX LTD 640mm and there is some flex compared to the Niner bar which weighs 50% more.
    Shame they aren't wider

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinner View Post
    Shame they aren't wider
    Yeah, that's why I'm using the Niner bar now.

mtbr member
    TANGENT ALERT!!!

I currently have a Bontrager RXL Carbon Flat Bar on my RIP. I have no problems with it, but I have been eyeing these NINER Bars for a while. Is there any valid justification for my swap other than looks in anyone else's opinion/experience?
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophobe View Post
    I bet if you cut the niner bars down to 640mm you would see a similar weight. And they just released a new lighter version that is the same 710mm wide and you can use bar ends. seems like a no brainer to me, I love my 2 sets of niner carbon bars. They replaced truvativ noir WC carbon and easton xc 90 bars. im gonna have to see about getting new bars now, DANG IT NINER!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast