mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Niner flat bar, tough enough?

Anyone using the flat bar on a WFO or 26" all mountain/freeride bike for more aggressive riding and jumping? Niner's website says "great for singlespeeds", but doesn't mention another application or use??

OK?

30-ton War Machine
    Sorry, your title got me thinking of one thing and one thing only... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EviIu2YqVyg enjoy!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I think that song was used as a tool of torture under the Bush administration. Brutal!!

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by JimEG
    I think that song was used as a tool of torture under the Bush administration. Brutal!!
    Jim - I think it will be fine as long as you don't epoxy inserts in the end to make it 750mm like I did.

The FT 9 weight is right in the zone compared to a few other reliable bars I like and use on my bikes. But as a contrast with a DH-specific flat bar I compared a Flat Top 9 with a Gravity 777 cut down to the same width and the Gravity was still 30g heavier because of the increased wall thickness. While I am obviously confident the Niner bar will be fine, If you have ANY doubts it's probably better to go with a burlier bar, that's not the sort of thing that you want to be worrying about.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Niner flat bar, tough enough?-bike.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Alright then. Thanks for the post. That is a burly Niner! Very nice.
    Last edited by JimEG; 06-21-2010 at 07:59 AM.

PSYCHOLUST
    I can't help thinking that it is odd that with so many 29'er bikes out there and so many single speeds that none of the main players in handlebar manufacturing makes a W I D E flat bar..... if you want to get anywhere near 660,680 or 700mm there are lots of risers bars in aluminum and carbon but FLAT bars remain narrow

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scyule
    I can't help thinking that it is odd that with so many 29'er bikes out there and so many single speeds that none of the main players in handlebar manufacturing makes a W I D E flat bar..... if you want to get anywhere near 660,680 or 700mm there are lots of risers bars in aluminum and carbon but FLAT bars remain narrow
    Maybe not a main player but 700 mm of carbon sweetness

http://www.edgecomposites.com/handlebars/mtb.aspx

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Chromag is bringing them soon, and the Gravity 777 is a really nice option.

PSYCHOLUST
    Quote Originally Posted by yo_eddy
    Maybe not a main player but 700 mm of carbon sweetness

http://www.edgecomposites.com/handlebars/mtb.aspx
    VERY NICE!!

mtbr member
    i know the thread is a little old now... anyway..

Salsa introduced a 780mm flat bar last fall called the Whammy (and supposedly built for AM) in addition to the lXC-oriented 710mm Pro Moto they've been selling for years

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    bump........

Anything else out there on the market for a flat bar. I checked out the Salsa bar but that isn't really flat. I'm trying to find something like the plan jane Easton EA30,50, or 70 flat bar but with more width then 580 or 600mm. Trying to stay away from carbon.

I guess their isn't much demand for flat wide bars?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goforbroke
    bump........

Anything else out there on the market for a flat bar. I checked out the Salsa bar but that isn't really flat. I'm trying to find something like the plan jane Easton EA30,50, or 70 flat bar but with more width then 580 or 600mm. Trying to stay away from carbon.

I guess their isn't much demand for flat wide bars?
    Salsa bars are as flat as those little Eastons (I have one myself; definitely flat). The online pictures make them look different because the Salsas are pictured from a bit above and at an angle so you are seeing the backwards sweep of the bars at an angle that makes it possibly look like rise.

Anyway, besides the Salsa Pro Moto and Niner Flat Top 9 already mentioned, Easton recently started making a wide version of some of their flat bars, like this with 685mm and 9deg sweep

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    ^You are correct sir, the picture on Salsa website is a lot more accurate.
    http://salsacycles.com/components/moto_ace_flat/

I'm going to look into those Easton bars as well, thanks for the heads up. I found a few more but they were all carbon unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm running Sunline V-1 on my Sir9. 745 mm of sweet control. I saw an ad for them in a flat bar also. I'm not sure if they are available yet but might be worth checking out. Just checked their website. The V-1 OS flat bar is listed at a 762mm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Still running the Flat Top 9 on my trail/super d bike. No issues yet. Ive run the flat Sunline bars. More sweep than the Flat Top, and heavier.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've got a Niner flat bar on my RIP.. seems pretty sturdy to me. It handles my stupidity/weight lol. Come to think of it, ive never seen anyone break a Alu bar.. carbon, that's another (not pretty) story. Then again, im of the mindset that when in doubt, go burly~er component wise. That way its not in the back of you mind when you ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The V-1 OS flat bar is what you want. DH burly, true flat, 762mm.