mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Niner-ed Rip 9 RDO

Well, I was (am) on a waiting list. Frame (small) was scheduled to be delivered at the end of March. Got an email today that deliver is now around April 19.

Not sure if I want to wait. One more delay and we are into the end of spring/beginning summer. Bad time to try to find anything in stock. Not to mention weather is finally getting nice - would like to ride b/f it is too hot. I don't want to end up sitting through the spring . . . and summer without a bike.

Just a bit bummed.

Maybe back to a Tallboy LTc because they exist.

mtbr member
    Good luck. I love those frames and would love to have one but I was originally told 4 weeks and it took over 4 months to get my air 9. I don't know if it was a niner deal or the shop just lied to me but my date changed several times before I finally got a frame.

If it makes you feel any better mine was worth the wait and I think yours will be too if you can hold off.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Anyone "in the know" know?

Update from today (4/20), bike did not show up and new expected date is unknown.

So, has anyone (bike shop type, etc.) have actual knowledge of arrival or shipping date for the new rip9 rdo (small)?

I am about to pull the cord on this purchase. I have no doubt that it will be a good bike. However, I am not willing to wait indefinitely.

Thanks for any help.

mtbr member

Niner-ed Rip 9 RDO

Do you currently have a bike? I'm waiting on one too, but since I have a bike, I'm being patient.

Many things could factor in.. Shipping, weather, manufacturing, delays in logistics... Simply the fact that it's in high demand, and they can't ship out fast enough.

Get the bike you want, not the bike that will ship the fastest.

Rip 9 RDO is the bike I want.. So I'll wait.

My 2 pennies.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The higher volume retailers are higher on the list. I got my small Rip 9 RDO from BikeBling. Kerry (the owner) was great to work with...I'll definitely will be buying more stuff from them.

Carbon & Ti rule
    The bike is worth the wait, The way this bike climbs for the way it goes down hill is a big win win for me.

Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post
    Update from today (4/20), bike did not show up and new expected date is unknown.

So, has anyone (bike shop type, etc.) have actual knowledge of arrival or shipping date for the new rip9 rdo (small)?

I am about to pull the cord on this purchase. I have no doubt that it will be a good bike. However, I am not willing to wait indefinitely.

Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Currently, I don't have a mountain bike. Well, not true. I have a 16th anniversary Hoo Koo E Koo with bent handlebar and rear axle - rockin' the 7 speed freewheel. That bike rides like a big POS. I cannot believe the things I used to do on it.

I have a road bike. I now live in northern Virginia. The traffic and the road system are not conducive for cycling (or driving). I started riding more than 20 years ago. I am accustom to drivers inattentive or otherwise. NoVA is a different story. I am tired of the constant risk of death (accidental and intentional) via driver in a hurry, text messaging, foreign and never drove in their country, tourist, angry, more important than everyone else, etc.

I'm the list from Coloradocyclist. I would consider them large volume?

In the past, I have purchased custom frames and firearms with 9-12 month waits. But, I knew the wait time up front. I wasn't told one time only to be delayed multiple times. I assume real availability on the rip 9 rdo will be late summer or fall. Other interesting bikes should have availability before that - SB95c, bronson (probably not right bike). . .

The reviews from cytoe and muzzanic are making it difficult to walk away.

Just complaining because it is a beautiful day for riding and I am going to mow the lawn.

mtbr member
    If you do walk, you might consider a Jet9 RDO. I live in the DC suburbs and ride the local trails several times a week. The Jet9 RDO is more than enough bike to handle everything within 5 hour drive. I was on the fence about the Rip9 RDO when I got my Jet9 RDO, but ultimately I didn't want to wait out the delivery times. If you do bail I'd recommend looking at the Jet9 RDO and throw a 120mm fork on it. It will tackle anything you find out in the western part of VA and up in Frederick, MD and PA. I'm very happy with mine. Also you should take to Sean at The Bike Lane in Burke. I got a great deal on my build and he was very professional.

Also the Rip9 RDO looks like a sweet bike. If you do wait it out may be we can swap for a few turns on one of the local trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jboyd122 View Post
    If you do walk, you might consider a Jet9 RDO.

Also you should take to Sean at The Bike Lane in Burke. I got a great deal on my build and he was very professional.
    I was considering the jet rdo. I have to say I would probably go for competitive cyclists sram XO build.

I talked to those guys at the bike lane last year. Nice shop; helpful staff. I am not sure who I spoke with. But, they gave me a price in the stratosphere for an alloy jet 9 build. So, I did not go back when I decided on the rip rdo.

I felt a bit bad about that. I worked at shops for about six or seven years. I wanted to buy local, but a 1K difference (when you factor in sales tax) over Internet pricing was too much. On the other hand, I just bought shoes and pedals at my LBS - for $50 more than Internet prices. So, my line of hypocritical is somewhere between $50 and $1K.

mtbr member

Niner-ed Rip 9 RDO

That's very surprising to me. I walked out the door with a Jet9 RDO full XT and Thompson controls including the new carbon bar and Fox 120mm factory fork for about $300 less than what competitive cyclist was offering on their website.

Maybe they've learned from losing business to the Internet.

I agree that you can generally find parts at a discount online, but I was treated very well and got a better deal at TBL than competitive cyclist was offering.
    Last edited by jboyd122; 04-21-2013 at 04:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by five5 View Post

Many things could factor in.. Shipping, weather, manufacturing, delays in logistics... Simply the fact that it's in high demand, and they can't ship out fast enough.
    It's just a shame that the original delivery date they give the customer doesn't ever seem to factor in. Everyone I've ever known to buy a niner including two of mine have always been over due with several setbacks along the way... Really takes the fun out of getting that new bike.

The actual fact is that the factors you mentioned should be considered before giving out unrealistic delivery dates.

mtbr member

Niner-ed Rip 9 RDO

I'd say, then they should give no delivery dates.

Trust me, I've been in logistics for a long time, sometimes it things just happen, and it creates a chain reaction.

BUT, with that said.. Many got theirs shipped at the end of March, just like they said. Mine is in stock, and being built right now.

Maybe it's just certain sizes that are taking longer? Maybe there is a longer line that was initially shipped, and some that were at the beginning of the line got theirs, now those at the end of the line are just waiting for new stock? Maybe some shops are priority over others based on volume?

Who knows, not defending Niner, but it seems that there are plenty of variables, and I don't think there is a perfect answer.

I didn't pre order either, I simply waited until the shop had it in stock, and bought it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    4/24/2013, one black frame became available. The blues are delayed for "at least about two more weeks".

Hopefully, I will have a black bike some time next week.

Texas MTB'er
    Mar 2013
    My frame was scheduled to ship April 15. Called the shop, delayed for two weeks and received email from niner announcing new color to ship on April 17. Called shop requesting blue or black...don't care. Niner seems to over advertise their stuff without production capacity. Who knows? I wonder who builds their frames in Asia...Specialized? Trek or???

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ccollinc View Post
    Niner seems to over advertise their stuff without production capacity.
    It is not just niner.

It seems bike companies are bike marketers, not manufacturers. Look around the forums and talk to your LBS. Once you are out of the whatever the shop carries right now on the floor mode, the same problems exist (but in a lesser degree) for trek and specialized.

I guess the bike business model is that it is better to way under-produce than risk unsold bikes. I don't know why they spend so much money advertising, when there is no availability. Although I do realize the "money making" portion of bicycles is not the high end niche market. It is tubes, accessories, and maybe labor (if the shop is run well).

FWIW if you are ready to buy: colorado cyclist had m, l, and xl in black. Bikebling was expecting delivery at the end of last week. However, their website shows the frame is not there. Competitive cyclist was expecting shipment "late" this week.

As of yesterday afternoon, Competitive cyclist had one medium yellow and two black bronson spx bike pre-orders that were not spoken for.

I think I managed to get a bike. But, I don't want to count my chickens before the brown truck hatches. . .

two wheel whore
    Welcome to NoVA - we've got the nicest people around.

I'd wait for the RIP RDO. I'm waiting for parts, at a smaller level, but the distributor has given me a date, and now I'm on the wait without another delivery date for 10 days now.

If push comes to shove, perhaps buy a bike that you can sell once the Rip comes in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Bike got delivered this morning. But, with a 31.6 seat post - instead of a 30.9. I am sure I jinxed it when I switched my order from blue to black. I remember asking whether everything else was in stock. Because I did not want more waiting "for a seat post or something".

The correct one is getting overnighted.

I'll post some pics once I have the seat post.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm a little confused about your seatpost comment....so you ordered a complete build and they accidentally sent you a 31.6 seatpost, instead of the 30.9 that fits the rip? Seems like an honest mistake since other niner frames use a 31.6. But either way....didn't your shop have an extra seatpost on hand? It's a very common size and would've assumed the shop would have just given you something off the shelf.

mtbr member

soon on the trails

Mine is almost complete, I'm waiting for the wheels and pedals....

Marketing guys know that bicycles lovers still have a child soul... with an adult portofolio

Carbon & Ti rule
    Looks good.

I almost ordered those same bars for mine, I have a wider set coming.

What wheels have you got coming ?

Quote Originally Posted by mychikine View Post
    Mine is almost complete, I'm waiting for the wheels and pedals....

mtbr member
    American classic All moutain tubeless Rims with Chris King (Navy blue) hubs and Sapim Cx Ray spokes.
    Marketing guys know that bicycles lovers still have a child soul... with an adult portofolio

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by mychikine View Post
    American classic All moutain tubeless Rims with Chris King (Navy blue) hubs and Sapim Cx Ray spokes.
    Very good, I'm sure you will love the bike, What were you riding ?

mtbr member
    Before I was riding a Trek fuel EX9 and a Specialized Enduro evo.

Those were pleasant bikes, but I wanted a one-for-all.

I live in Ardèche since two years, a place with little moutains, with singletracks full of stones : that is too much for the fuel and the specialized was too heavy for long distances.

A Senior
    Apr 2008
    Let's see those RIPs !
    Any feedback, ride reports, maintenance or setup tips would be appreciated.
    Thanks.