mtbr member

A Niner Dilemma... and Ninerd babble.

Hey Ninerds!

Well, itís getting a little out of hand here, Iím absolutely loving these bikes over the past couple years. Iíve been riding a 2010 Milk Dud RIP9 (steeper HA) for the last 2 years, and decided this year I was going to upgrade to Carbon.

photo a0ebe55c-1_zps62a0edee.jpg

I was struggling between the JET9 RDO, and RIP9 RDO. With all the reviews of the JET9 RDO being able to handle anything the older RIPís seem to handle, being lighter, faster, etcÖ Then came the JET9RDO sales.. I jumped to grab a JET9RDO.

Iíve decked out my JET9RDO w/ Carbon wheels, and Dropper PostÖ itís awesome. Now, I want the RIP9RDO.

photo null_zpse45643e8.jpg

Then, my boss (CEO of the company) wanted a bike. Basically, he told me to buy whatever bike I wanted for him. Well, being that I wanted the RIP9 RDO as well, I figured Iíd order one of those up for him.

photo null_zps45c7153b.jpg

NowÖ here comes my dilemmaÖ The RIP9 RDO blew me away. Donít get me wrong, the JET9RDO is fantastic fast, and a great bike.. but you can feel the geometry difference BIG TIME. Iím not a guy that rides in groups, races, I donít need to be the first up the hill, or feel the need to set new time records. Iím out having fun.. I like to go fast, I like to get a little air, and just like to have fun. If Iím judging by how FUN the bikes areÖ the RIP9RDO kicks the JET9RDOís ass all day long!!! I love the look of this bike, and the color.. frickin amazing!

photo null_zps63f7300b.jpg

Now, I want the RIP9RDO.

Then comes the new Alloy RIP9.. about a .5 lb more than the RDO version, and same geometry. Seems like a kick ass ride! Throw a 140 on the front, move my carbon wheels over, and Iím riding an alloy rocket, that handles like the FUN RIP9RDO that Iíve riddenÖ RIGHT?? BUT.. as dumb as this sounds.. I donít like the aesthetics of the new Alloys at all. I love the GREEN, but I donít like the tubing, or the way it looks. Maybe itís that they really only have the smalls pictured online.. hereís one I found though that looks like a Medium.

photo Rip9Green_zps2b9d356d.jpg

Honestly.. I love the 2nd version of the Hydroformed RIP9, but itís got the 135 rear, and a little less suspension. It's on super sale right now, which is tempting.

photo RIP9Roval_zpsf53b6d79.jpg

Clearly, Iím just talking out loud hereÖ My current ride is an amazing bike.. do I maybe grab an Angleset headset to give me that little bit of slack, and the feeling of sitting back, and ďINĒ the bike? Do I get back into a RIP9Ö the RDO looks killer, rides awesome, and is tons of fun, but now Iíve got to drop another few grand on that. New RIP9 would clearly be best of all worlds moving all my carbon goodies over. Then there is the heavily discounted 2012 RIP9, again with all my carbon goodies would be a pretty sweet ride!

Iím actually sort of leaning towards going back to Alloy, with Carbon goodies.. for some reason, Alloy just seems like something I can keep forever. I wonít have to deal with internal cables, but stay stiff, an light with the carbon stuffÖ. I donít know.

My first action is maybe my boss will just trade me bikes!! Haha! Then Iíll be set!

Then selling my RDO frame/fork.. UGH, I hate selling this stuff. eBay.. ick.

Anyway, like I said, just talking out loud.. Iím sure Iíll get ripped for talking about aesthetics, but whateverÖ I like the way my bikes look, as well as how they ride. Iím hoping to get a bike that Iíll keep for quite a few years now. 2 kids, new houseÖ time to slow down the bike building, and settle into something that Iíll keep for a while.

Any, and all thoughts on this are welcome! Thanks for reading, and listening to my babble.

lamer

Re: A Niner Dilemma... and Ninerd babble.

Quote Originally Posted by five5 View Post
    Honestly.. I love the 2nd version of the Hydroformed RIP9, but it’s got the 135 rear, and a little less suspension. It's on super sale right now, which is tempting.
    You can get the 142 rear dropout kit for the 2009-2012 RIP9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by llamma View Post
    You can get the 142 rear dropout kit for the 2009-2012 RIP9
    Interesting.. that's the great stuff I need to learn. Thank you llamma! I see them now on the Niner site! Again, thanks!

Carbon & Ti rule
    The only 1 that is going to stop you wanting to build a new bike in a year is the Rip9 RDO & this you already know because you have ridden it.

You can get the 142x12 drop outs for your current Rip9, But owning a Jet9 RDO a little tickle up to your Rip9 isn't going to cut it.

As for the looks of the New alloy Rip9, I like it a lot & that aside I don't think I have ever seen a photo of a Niner that looks as nice as the bikes look when you see them.

The Rip9 RDO is an awesome bike & I'm loving mine, But can't help but feel if you are trying to keep costs down a bit, Build the Alloy & put XX1( or just hold out a little longer for the X0 version ) & the new Pike fork on it & then use the brakes & stuff you already have.

IMO the Alloy 2013 Rip9 with the new Tech gear will be better than the Rip9 RDO with all your old gear.

Either way, You need to move the build as far away from the Jet9 RDO as you can because there will just be to much over lap.

My 2 C.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    The only 1 that is going to stop you wanting to build a new bike in a year is the Rip9 RDO & this you already know because you have ridden it.

You can get the 142x12 drop outs for your current Rip9, But owning a Jet9 RDO a little tickle up to your Rip9 isn't going to cut it.

As for the looks of the New alloy Rip9, I like it a lot & that aside I don't think I have ever seen a photo of a Niner that looks as nice as the bikes look when you see them.

The Rip9 RDO is an awesome bike & I'm loving mine, But can't help but feel if you are trying to keep costs down a bit, Build the Alloy & put XX1( or just hold out a little longer for the X0 version ) & the new Pike fork on it & then use the brakes & stuff you already have.

IMO the Alloy 2013 Rip9 with the new Tech gear will be better than the Rip9 RDO with all your old gear.

Either way, You need to move the build as far away from the Jet9 RDO as you can because there will just be to much over lap.

My 2 C.
    Thanks Muzz! Well, yeah, I'm always concerned about price I suppose. Kids, and everything else is starting to get in my way a bit. Though, the way I feel about the RIPRDO, I'd definitely shell out the cash for it.. but it's tough considering I just spent a good chunk on the JET9RDO, and not sure how much I'll recoup. I've been seeing a lot of them on eBay these days.

Has there been any confirmation of an XO-11 system? I do enjoy the XX1 a lot.. so that is in my future I think. Only trouble then, is that I'll have to swap out the driver on my Rovals... well, honestly, I'm not sure how much trouble that is.. I believe they are DT guts, so I think that means I'll be OK.

Good stuff.. I'm also thinking about saving a couple pennies because I'd like to get my wife an EMD, and possibly one for me (Rigid SS) for local, mild trails, winter biking, and dragging the kids around in the trailer. So, may sacrifice the RIPRDO for Alloy so I can expand the collection.

The great thing is... I just confirmed that I'll be selling my 2010 RIP9, so that will give me a few bucks to play with as well.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have seen all the spec's of the X01 on the net so it is a happening thing & 25 % cheaper I'm told.

What is the build spec of your boss's bike ?

Thanks Muzz! Well, yeah, I'm always concerned about price I suppose. Kids, and everything else is starting to get in my way a bit. Though, the way I feel about the RIPRDO, I'd definitely shell out the cash for it.. but it's tough considering I just spent a good chunk on the JET9RDO, and not sure how much I'll recoup. I've been seeing a lot of them on eBay these days.

Has there been any confirmation of an XO-11 system? I do enjoy the XX1 a lot.. so that is in my future I think. Only trouble then, is that I'll have to swap out the driver on my Rovals... well, honestly, I'm not sure how much trouble that is.. I believe they are DT guts, so I think that means I'll be OK.

Good stuff.. I'm also thinking about saving a couple pennies because I'd like to get my wife an EMD, and possibly one for me (Rigid SS) for local, mild trails, winter biking, and dragging the kids around in the trailer. So, may sacrifice the RIPRDO for Alloy so I can expand the collection.

The great thing is... I just confirmed that I'll be selling my 2010 RIP9, so that will give me a few bucks to play with as well.

Moosehead
    Since you aint nuthin but a bike ho, just tell your boss you bought him the J9RDO and keep the R9RDO fo' yoself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I have seen all the spec's of the X01 on the net so it is a happening thing & 25 % cheaper I'm told.

What is the build spec of your boss's bike ?
    Love the idea of the XO1!! I'll look for it!

Fox Talas 140
    Thompson/Niner Carbon Cockpit
    XT Brakes
    XX1 Drivetrain
    Flow EX Wheels
    Nobby Nic Tires

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead View Post
    Since you aint nuthin but a bike ho, just tell your boss you bought him the J9RDO and keep the R9RDO fo' yoself.
    Well... he did originally tell me "Buy your dream bike, and I'll trade you for yours", as I've taken him MTBing ONE time, and he decided to buy this bike... LOL.

Hopefully I can still work that out, but he knows which I got for him.. "The Blue One".

Moosehead
    Well... he did originally tell me "Buy your dream bike, and I'll trade you for yours", as I've taken him MTBing ONE time, and he decided to buy this bike... LOL.

Hopefully I can still work that out, but he knows which I got for him.. "The Blue One".
    I was only partly kidding. The J9RDO is one of the finest bikes out there, your boss would be getting a thoroughbred in anyone's view. You would not lose sleep. You would make him look good if not great. Despite your fun rating, the J9RDO also supremely handles a great range of riding, certainly anything available in the midwest, no?

This is just a SWAG, but I get the impression that it also becomes an expensive dust gatherer in his 4-car garage. No offense intended, just saying.

mtbr member

What fork are you running in your JET9? If its 100mm, I've heard that 120mm makes a big difference and still keeps it flickable. I'm about to convert my 100mm to 120mm and luckily it's just removing a spacer in the fork.

I think I'm kind of the same though. The aggressive geo kicks my ass and punishes me all the time but at the end of the day that's something I can grow into rather than grow out of.

mtbr member

I was only partly kidding. The J9RDO is one of the finest bikes out there, your boss would be getting a thoroughbred in anyone's view. You would not lose sleep. You would make him look good if not great. Despite your fun rating, the J9RDO also supremely handles a great range of riding, certainly anything available in the midwest, no?

This is just a SWAG, but I get the impression that it also becomes an expensive dust gatherer in his 4-car garage. No offense intended, just saying.
    No offense taken! You're 100% right, I could do any trail around here with a $500 Hardtails if I wanted.. I like nice things.. The JET surely takes care of it all.. For me, it's more the "feel".. I like, feel better, and feel more confident in my rides back to back with the RIP RDO.. But I'm not so focused on that bike, I'm considering the last 2 gens of the alloy version.

Added to that, I also ride all winter, so my bikes get used all year around.. They don't collect a lot of dust.

Granted.. I have too many bikes.. I have all sizes from my kids 10", and 12".. To my 20", 22", and 24" BMX bikes.. And 26", and 29" MTB's, and Roadies. I like bikes!

Just now really experiencing what bikes might feel more "right" than anothers.

Now I'd like to get down to 2 very different MTB's.. A full Susser, and a rigid SS.

We'll see how it goes!!

mtbr member
    I think that you already got the answer, RIP RDO even if you only trade frame and fork.

Your JET RDO looks sweet though, that would be the only FS bike I'd trade my Highball in
    Niner Jet 9
    Santa Cruz Highball Carbon

Moosehead
    55, in your OP you mentioned putting an angleset on your J9RDO.

I did not think the anglesets were compatible with the integrated headset configuration?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I did not think the anglesets were compatible with the integrated headset configuration?
    Not with the integrated head tube but the first year or 18 months of production the frames took an internal headset. I have a one degree WORKS COMPONENTS headset on my JET 9 RDO (photo below) and a 1.5ļ on my RIP 9 RDO. The Works units are nice because they are compatible with a tapered steerer without the bulky external cup. Also no gimbals so no extra noise. I have gotten a lot of extra "trail bike" performance out of my JET in this configuration with a 120mm Revelation. But still...

To weigh in on the OP's comments, yeah, the RIP blows the JET away in my opinion. Of course it's all down to preference and riding style but for me there is no question

A Niner Dilemma...  and Ninerd babble.-jetgarage.jpg

Moosehead
    ^thanks JMH. that extra degree of slack just looks right on your rig. nice looking shop too.

mtbr member
    Good stuff JMH! So, are you saying that WORKS component angleset would work on my bike? Might be worth a try, though I think you confirmed that even with that, the RIP is a completely different bike still.

Moosehead
    ^55, if you have the V1.1 J9RDO with integrated HS, an angleset will not work. JMH has the earlier V1.0 with internal HS with pressed in cups which is compatible.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    ^55, if you have the V1.1 J9RDO with integrated HS, an angleset will not work. JMH has the earlier V1.0 with internal HS with pressed in cups which is compatible.
    Exactly. If you look at your headtube and see the lips of the press in cups, you are good to go. If your headtube doesn't have them, the bearings fit directly in the frame and it won't work. I think the Niner TECH section on Integrated Head Tubes has a slideshow that helps with ID... Let me see.. yes. Refer to slide #2 in particular:

Tapered Headtube

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    though I think you confirmed that even with that, the RIP is a completely different bike still.
    Yeah, it really is.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    Yeah, it really is.
    Did you put in much time on the Rip RDO with the stock HA? If so, what were your impressions/concerns? I'm trying to decide if I should look into a works headset for my Rip RDO.

Also, if you could snap a pic of it installed that would be awesome. I always thought the CC anglesets were hokey looking, not to mention the creaking.