I should be studying...

Niner/Competitive Cyclists Warranty handling?

I bought a Niner Air 9 Carbon about 2 months ago from Competitive Cyclist. I got the frame with the Biocentric 2 EBB for single speed use.

While I was tightening the Biocentric down with an appropriately sized torque wrench (I have 3 of them) I heard a loud pop from the frame-- I hadn't even got to the specified torque spec yet. I took out the EBB and checked the inside and the bridge that you can mount a cable routing "chuck" on collapsed into the BB shell.

I called Niner and they said to go through Competitive Cyclist. At first, the matter was handled promptly but I was kind of miffed that I had to pay for shipping of the frame to and from Competitive Cyclist.

Now it's been 4 weeks since I shipped the frame back to them and I have not heard anything despite contacting Competitive cyclist a week ago.

Is this normal? Is this a Niner issue or a Competitive cyclist issue? Any one else have issues with Niner's or Competitive Cyclists customer service?
    Formerly known as iceaxe

Space Ghost
    I know every situation is different, but I have dealt with both on cs issues and they BOTH handled them quickly and professionally. Good luck, and keep calling if you are not getting answers. Hard to tell in your situation as you didn't say what happened when you spoke to CC a week ago.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

mtbr member
    I have dealt with a warranty claim via competitive cyclist/niner and had no issues at all. Went smooth and very fast.

I'm guessing they have never had the failure you described and want to look at it first. The common ones get resolved in days with no shipping charges...

I should be studying...
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach417 View Post
    I know every situation is different, but I have dealt with both on cs issues and they BOTH handled them quickly and professionally. Good luck, and keep calling if you are not getting answers. Hard to tell in your situation as you didn't say what happened when you spoke to CC a week ago.
    I didn't speak to anyone at Competitive Cyclists; I sent an email 10 days ago and haven't heard anything back. These are people I usually don't have to be pushy with... but I guess I have never had a warranty claim like this either.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    May 2014
    An email is easy to lose. I woud follow up with a phone call just to make sure your issue doesn't slip through the cracks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Phone always better than email with just about anything in life

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Frank I had the exact same thing happen to me when I tightened the EBB to torque specifications (clearly there is a design/manufacturing flaw here). I went through a local Niner dealer, whom I paid $50 for the trouble of dealing with my warranty when I bought my frame online.

Within a week, I had a new frame.
    --
    Check out the Bear Yuba Land Trust trails program
    http://www.bylt.org/index.php/trails/

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey Frank, sent you a PM earlier today. Contact info is in the pm. If it's after 5 just call the main competitive cyclist number(1.888.276.7130) and chat with a rep, they can also get you dialed. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hope it works out. Competitive Cyclist has the best customer service I've dealt with. Probably ever dealt with

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yeah, don't sweat it, CC has really been good to me as well, they'll take care of you.