mtbr member

Niner Carbon fork - defective race fit.

I contacted because my carbon fork had a little play at the race.

After inspecting the fork stem, the diameter where the race fits was a bit under sized.

Niner said they have never seen that before that they would sell me a replacement because I was not the original buyer.

Just wanted to see if anyone has had this problem since all manufacturers deny having quality control problems...

thanks

mtbr member
    May 2012
    So you bought a used fork that for all you know could have been used to club baby seals and now there is an issue with it? I think there must be a reason that the warranty only applies to the original owner.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    This might be cheaper than a new fork and if you don't already have a Chris King headset then you get to buy and fit one of those as a bonus

Baseplates | Chris King Precision Components

Note that they do undersize baseplates.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I had the same problem with a new fork ~2 yrs ago. 1-1/8" King crown race "baseplate" would creak under load due to a slight lack of material on the fork. Fork was warrantied and has been fine since being replaced. They have heard of it before, probably not very often..

mtbr member

ONLY fork owners with defects

Quote Originally Posted by PeopleForScience View Post
    So you bought a used fork that for all you know could have been used to club baby seals and now there is an issue with it? I think there must be a reason that the warranty only applies to the original owner.

PeopleForScience:

I'm posting just in case niner is letting a process or materials issue on their forks leave the factory.
    I think any manufacturer likes to keep their quality issues under rap.

I'm only seeking those that have had this issue, since niner told me they have never seen this issue.

If you just want to be d&*k and make lame comments, keep moving.........

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I think its pretty clear what is going on here. I can only assume you bought it knowing there would be no warranty. Now its damaged, and you want that warranty. You accepted that when you bought it used. Did the person you bought it from have an issue and not disclose it? Perhaps they should be the one you are trying to smear. People that are trying to assess if there is an issue typically don't repost in every sub forum.

Even if there was an issue, which I highly doubt to be the case because every other owner seems to be okay, you would have no right to a replacement. You bought it used. So lay off the high ground act, we see right through it.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    I have Niner forks on two of my bikes, one with a straight steer tube and one tapered. When I rode the bike with the tapered a couple of times, there was a lot of play in the fork. I took a close look through everything and found that the race / headset was the problem. I replaced the race and headset and everything is nice and tight.

Don't know whether your problem is the same but I've not had any problem that I could assign to the fork and have been nothing but happy wih them.