mtbr member

New question here. NINER Cable Stops - What's Your Secret

Anyone out there in the NINER realm have any trick to get the NINER cable stops to stay in place? It seems that multiple times during a ride, my rear derailleur cable stops at both the head badge and at the exit point of the down tube come out of place. I am talking about my Jet 9 RDO, which is the latest version with the similar RD cable routing to the RIP RDO. However, this should be a relevant question for any NINER internally routed frame.

I've considered either blue thread locker - which could get messy. I've also considered wrapping the stop in a thin layer of electrical tape, but this could inhibit the ability for the cable to move throughout the frame as intended as well as have a foreseeable short period of value - rigged IOW.

What have you done?
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

mtbr member

NINER Cable Stops - What's Your Secret

This may not be the most aesthetic , but a small zip tie at the end of the cable stop.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ejreyes6 View Post
    This may not be the most aesthetic , but a small zip tie at the end of the cable stop.
    This is what I did also on mine to stop the cable slap after going to the new full length routing.

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy View Post
    This is what I did also on mine to stop the cable slap after going to the new full length routing.
    Cable slap inside the down tube?
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by J3SSEB View Post
    Cable slap inside the down tube?
    Yes. After going to the full length cable routing on my V1.1 Jet9 RDO frame the cable would slip back into the frame and slap around. I tried just zip tying it to the rear brake hose but it still slapped occationally. So I just put a zip tie up against the cable guide as it goes thru the head tube badge.

mtbr member
    Out of curiosity, do you have a pic to share?

Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy View Post
    Yes. After going to the full length cable routing on my V1.1 Jet9 RDO frame the cable would slip back into the frame and slap around. I tried just zip tying it to the rear brake hose but it still slapped occationally. So I just put a zip tie up against the cable guide as it goes thru the head tube badge.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

mtbr member
    I kind of did the same thing but used two zip ties and a little rubber piece of cable rub protector to help avoid any slippage of the zip ties
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NINER Cable Stops - What's Your Secret-cable.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Here's what I did on my Rip9 RDO:

I cut 1 side of the hose for a slip fit, I then whittled the outside of the hose, 1/2 its length (1 inch) so it could fit tightly into the cable gland in the frame. With this in place, the head tube cable stop also doesn't move.

mtbr member
    That's nifty.

mtbr member
    So the cable stop for my front DR cracked and had to be replaced. Fortunately my LBS didn't have the cable stop in stock so they found another solution. They took a presta valve cover & ground it down until it fit into the head badge. The solution works better than the OEM gear.

Thanks a lot Tim for getting me up and running that day! As he said, a $6k+ bike with a $0.006 fix. I wish the cable stops provided with the bike were a bit sturdier. Are there any aftermarket options?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I can't get my cable stops to stay put in the head badge of my Air 9 RDO. Does anyone have a solution for that? My local shop has fiddled with it multiple times, but no luck.