mtbr member
    May 2012

NINER Bikes (AIR 9) + 2014 Race Face NEXT SL Cinch 10 / 11 Speed

Does anyone have any information about compatibility with NINER Bikes and the new Race Face NEXT SL Cinch 10 / 11 Speed ?

Rgs

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    yes I just installed the new RF NEXT SL Cinch on my SS '13 Air 9 carbon with the EBB2. Just get the BSA30 External BB from RF. The only non norm was the BB spacers. to get an even crank arm width I used one spacer on each cup with the EBB2

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    A spacer between each externally threaded BB cup and the EBB? Wouldn't the use of a spacer on each side result in the same positioning of the crank arms with a wider Q factor? I might use an RF Next SL Cinch crank in the future, so I would like to understand what you did. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I know it sounds weird but it was the only way to get an even crank width and torque spec. The BB shell is 68 but according to the specs the EBB2 makes the shell 73, The RF instructions state no spacers (typical) with a 73 shell but when I tried that the crank spindle was too long and the non-drive side was closer than the drive side by a lot. If I tightened to torque spec there was far too much bare spindle showing.. I would have to have turned the non-drive side crank 'ring' over 5mm to take up any slack.
    btw, The RF BB Cups are BSA30.. you need a special tool to tighten them. I recommend the Rotor tool because it allows you to use a torque wrench.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Can you post a pic of the spacers?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    here you go
    NINER Bikes (AIR 9) + 2014 Race Face NEXT SL Cinch 10 / 11 Speed-dsc01539-edit-copy.jpgNINER Bikes (AIR 9) + 2014 Race Face NEXT SL Cinch 10 / 11 Speed-dsc01538-edit-copy.jpg
    NINER Bikes (AIR 9) + 2014 Race Face NEXT SL Cinch 10 / 11 Speed-dsc01534-edit-copy.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for the pictures. Interesting that the crank is supposed to be setup on a 73mm shell without spacers, but you needed the spacers nonetheless. Did you ask RF about the excess spindle that you had before using the spacers?

How do you like the crank and BB otherwise?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    No I didnt call. I just ensured the BB cup threads went deep into the shell threads. With 1 spacer on each side they go in plenty deep. The cranks are great. My 175mm 32T = 434grams (without BB). The quality of the RF BB is an unknown. They never made good ones in the past (old external cups for NEXT SL 2x10,ISIS junk)..My concern with these is it appears the bearings are very narrow(to allow a normal size threaded shell to use a 30mm spindle. Time will tell...but I dont expect to get more than a season out of them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I just looked at the instructions for the RF Cinch BB. It appears RF suggests installing one spacer only on the drive side for a 73mm BB shell. See:

http://www.raceface.com/comp/inst/BB...tion_Guide.pdf

See directly above #3 on the right side of the PDF. There is a spacer there, which is not indicated as being only for 63/83mm BB shells.

Tim

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    sometimes you need to do what works for the frame. Here is a picture of what it will look like with the 1 spacer per instructions
    not to sound like a dick but not sure why you're harping on this.
    My approach works ..period. evenly spaced..no exposed spindle or the ability for the spindle to move side to side, bearing smooth, proper chainline.
    If you want to go ahead and follow what they state ..go for it.
    NINER Bikes (AIR 9) + 2014 Race Face NEXT SL Cinch 10 / 11 Speed-dsc01540-edit-copy.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Goodness, someone forget their coffee this morning? I was not harping, or at least I was not trying to harp. Rather, just checking to see if you saw that other spacer and tried it that way before going with the two spacer setup that worked. I didn't see it when I first looked at the instructions, because I was focused on the two spacers that RF indicates are not necessary for a 73mm BB shell. Nonetheless, thanks for very helpful information.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    well I tried to not sound like a dick..I appreciate your concern and like my OP it was weird to not work according to instructions but what can you do. If you install one follow up on this thread if you encountered the same issue.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Will do, but I do think your way is the better (right) way. I probably won't be going to the Cinch until late in the year. I am also keen to hear how well the RF threaded BB holds up.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Some photos after installation today

NINER Bikes (AIR 9) + 2014 Race Face NEXT SL Cinch 10 / 11 Speed-img_4085.jpg

NINER Bikes (AIR 9) + 2014 Race Face NEXT SL Cinch 10 / 11 Speed-img_4087.jpg

NINER Bikes (AIR 9) + 2014 Race Face NEXT SL Cinch 10 / 11 Speed-img_4089.jpg

NINER Bikes (AIR 9) + 2014 Race Face NEXT SL Cinch 10 / 11 Speed-img_4090.jpg

NINER Bikes (AIR 9) + 2014 Race Face NEXT SL Cinch 10 / 11 Speed-img_4091.jpg

NINER Bikes (AIR 9) + 2014 Race Face NEXT SL Cinch 10 / 11 Speed-img_4092.jpg