mtbr member

Niner beef up their fork?

Did I miss something? The Niner site is saying you can run up to a 185 rotor on their fork now? I know it used to be 160.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahSpines
    The Niner site is saying you can run up to a 185 rotor on their fork now? I know it used to be 160.
    I noticed the same thing. Wondering if the new forks are different, or if they simply decided that they were always good for up to 185mm rotors from the get go?..

gone for a bike ride
    the niner website weight/spec has changed - agree might be because owners are using 180mm rotors without any probs - perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Niner website
    • Disc Only
    • No rider weight limit
    • Fits rotors up to 185mm
    • 470mm axle to crown
    • 565 grams

The Niner Carbon Rigid Fork could very well be the most advanced rigid mountain bike fork on the planet. Purpose-built from the ground up, Niner utilized carbon in ways no other fork manufacture has done before. From the tip of the dropout to the top of the steerer tube and everywhere in between, the Niner Carbon Rigid Fork takes full advantage of the damping characteristics of carbon. Unlike three-piece bonded forks, which can have stress risers in transitions between dissimilar materials, the full carbon design of the Niner fork is both lighter and stronger by eliminating bonded sections all together. In addition to the full carbon complement, the outside shape of the fork was designed to disperse impact energy throughout the entire structure, damping trail vibrations before they get to your hands without compromising steering precision. From tip to tail, the Niner Carbon Rigid fork was designed for better performance. We didn’t just want to offer another carbon component, we wanted to utilize carbon the way it was intended to be: stiff, light, strong, and forgiving, all rolled into a single package.

Post mounted brake mounts for lighter overall set-up. Forward facing dropouts for safety and easier wheel removal.
    2010 niner Air 9 carbon fork - 11.09.10 #4007 v2

2010 niner Air 9 carbon frameset + fork - 11.09.10 #4069 v2

...edit to add better pics...

ps. mine weighs 596g uncut - think the carbon fork weight variables might depend on paint option?
    Last edited by culturesponge; 09-14-2010 at 03:22 PM.

29ers Only.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahSpines
    Did I miss something? The Niner site is saying you can run up to a 185 rotor on their fork now? I know it used to be 160.
    Yes, back in May we lifted the 160mm limit. Initially we had not done enough testing on the 185mm but it's bomb proof with the 185mm after enough real world and fatigue testing time.

- - We are also very excited to announce we have received a Eurobike design award for our carbon fork. We are very proud to have created something from the ground-up..... totally different than anything else on the market and be recognized and given such a special award!

http://ninerbikes.com/fly.aspx?layou...true&taxid=222

Anyone running 180 mm disc on Niner fork?

-Disc Only
    -No rider weight limit
    -Fits rotors up to 185mm
    -470mm axle to crown
    -565 grams

The Niner Carbon Rigid Fork could very well be the most advanced rigid mountain bike fork on the planet. Purpose-built from the ground up, Niner utilized carbon in ways no other fork manufacture has done before. From the tip of the dropout to the top of the steerer tube and everywhere in between, the Niner Carbon Rigid Fork takes full advantage of the damping characteristics of carbon. Unlike three-piece bonded forks, which can have stress risers in transitions between dissimilar materials, the full carbon design of the Niner fork is both lighter and stronger by eliminating bonded sections all together. In addition to the full carbon complement, the outside shape of the fork was designed to disperse impact energy throughout the entire structure, damping trail vibrations before they get to your hands without compromising steering precision. From tip to tail, the Niner Carbon Rigid fork was designed for better performance. We didn’t just want to offer another carbon component, we wanted to utilize carbon the way it was intended to be: stiff, light, strong, and forgiving, all rolled into a single package.

Post mounted brake mounts for lighter overall set-up. Forward facing dropouts for safety and easier wheel removal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Niner beef up their fork?-eurobike2010_messefn..jpg  

Last edited by Niner Bikes; 09-09-2010 at 12:14 PM.

Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

mtbr member
    Perfect! Now I just need to wait until the white ones are back in stock.....

mtbr member
    No rider weight limit? Wow. That's a new one for carbon forks.

mtbr member
    when are colored forks getting back in stock?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes
    - - We are also very excited to announce we have received a Eurobike design award for our carbon fork.
    Congrats! Of course we now want more carbon stuff from you guys. Such like a ... FS frame in carbon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bycyclist
    when are colored forks getting back in stock?
    Last I heard they should be here after interbike so hopefully the first week of Oct?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hey folks,

I'm a soon to be proud owner of an MCR with a niner carbon fork and have a brake question. I assume I can use a Magura Louise 160mm post mount brake on this fork and not have to use an adapter or anything, correct? Anyone running this set up on their niner carbon fork?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    You are correct. I use XTR, 160mm post mount brakes on the front and there's no need for an adapter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Excellent! Thanks for the info.