mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Niner Air 9 vs. EMD

Looking for any input on these hardtail frames. I'm 6'3" looking at the XL size and weigth in at 220 lb. I want to build up a hardtail and not sure if I would notice the difference in frame materials, don't care about the weigth difference. The Emd is a lot less money and I do ride a Rip 9 most of the time. Let me know if you've ridden both or one. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm 6'3" and 220 and purchased an XL Air 9 a few months ago. All I can say is I love it. This is my first hard tail, coming off a Knolly Delirium which I also love. These days the bike I go for 90% of the time is the air 9. Too bad I can't comment on the EMD but really the price isn't that different in the end if you're fixin to build a complete bike with all new parts. For me the frame was a pretty cheap part of the entire package having gone with X0 components, Stan's flows and chris king hubs. Either frame you choose will be awesome I'm sure!

Current configuration:
    Niner Air 9 vs. EMD-photo.jpg

On Little Creek Mesa over looking Gooseberry Mesa in Southern Utah
    Niner Air 9 vs. EMD-photo-3-.jpg
    Last edited by kingair; 08-11-2012 at 09:22 PM.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    For those of us over 100kg would the EMD be a better choice? Is the rear end stiffer than the Air 9?