mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Niner Air 9 Ride Characteristics

Hey, anyone out there have any feedback about the newer hydroformed frames? I am interested in ride quality and characteristics, especially relative to other frame materials, if you have that as a reference. I currently ride a Team Fly Ti, which I like, but find it may be a bit more flexible than I prefer. I do, however, like the ride quality of the ti frame, but interested in learning more about the aluminum Niner frames. I ride a small, fwiw.

Thanks in advance.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Firm. Very firm ride. Final Review: Niner AIR 9
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy View Post
    Firm. Very firm ride. Final Review: Niner AIR 9
    Thanks for the review link! Does that fall into the category of "uncomfortable" or "unpleasantly firm?" May be hard for a reviewer to say candidly...

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Well that is so subjective. I would not want to do a 100 miler on that bike. Not at my age. I would race a 60 minute XC event though and enjoy that excellent power transfer. Our Cyldesdale jeffj loved it...just LOVED that bike. But at 260lbs he has trouble finding hardtails that do not deflect underneath him. I am about 190lbs.

So it depends on you, really. Fatty tires at low pressures can do wonders for any ride, but I not call the AIR9 'smooth'. It is hard to have it all.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Have you looked at the SIR 9? I just had one built up as a singlespeed, and the ride characteristics are amazing. I have had several bikes over the years, and the ride quality is amazing. I thought long and hard about the AIR 9 and the SIR 9, and the SIR won out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy View Post
    Well that is so subjective. I would not want to do a 100 miler on that bike. Not at my age. I would race a 60 minute XC event though and enjoy that excellent power transfer. Our Cyldesdale jeffj loved it...just LOVED that bike. But at 260lbs he has trouble finding hardtails that do not deflect underneath him. I am about 190lbs.

So it depends on you, really. Fatty tires at low pressures can do wonders for any ride, but I not call the AIR9 'smooth'. It is hard to have it all.
    Thanks again for your response; it is fair and informative. I agree about subjective, but also value a repeated subjective view...mostly...sort of...

I think I am coming clear on my issue/concern. WAY back, in the early days of my mountain biking experiences, I owned a Klein Attitude. And wow, was that bike stiff and often uncomfortable. I think that memory just surfaced from my deep subconscious, and that is my worry about the Air 9. That said, I am sure a modern-engineered bike would steer clear of all that teeth chattering rigidity of the aluminum pioneers. There...I think I have it worked out! Phew!

Also, I would just go ride one and try on my subjectivity, but Demo Days ain't fur awhile in my parts...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jvm051 View Post
    Have you looked at the SIR 9? I just had one built up as a singlespeed, and the ride characteristics are amazing. I have had several bikes over the years, and the ride quality is amazing. I thought long and hard about the AIR 9 and the SIR 9, and the SIR won out.
    I have not, but will check it out. Thanks for your vote, SIR!