Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Niner Air 9 Carbon Chainkeeper 1x10

I have now tried 2 different chainkeepers... the paul components chain keeper and mrp 1.x BB mount... with no luck.

The Paul mounts too high on the seatube due to the massive BB shell, and the CYA BB insert prevents a standard spacer based BB mount chainguide from working on BB.

Anybody have any other suggestions, there must be others out there wanting to run 1x9/10 on an Air 9 Carbon?

I need something that drops a long way down, like a high mount clamp FD
    Niner Air 9 Carbon, 2010 S-WORKS 26" HT/FSR, 2009 Ibis Hakkalugi, 2008 Strange 5 Alpine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You could possibly modify a Paulcomp chain keeper - all it would take is a small strip of aluminium and an extra bolt to allow the mount to slide higher up the seat tube. Part of the chain keeper would have to be flipped around (which in itself would raise the clamp a bit) but from looking at it I think it could work. You could get tricky with a MRP, by using part of the existing mount and fabricating a seat tube mount for it...

I'm waiting on a A9C, and was intending on using the a 1.X, so good to have a heads up on this one!

mtbr member
    yeah, thanks... i'm going to try flipping the paul chainkeeper and see if that works...it might do it... will update tonight. I spoke to Steve at Niner, and said he couldnt believe this setup hadnt been run by the testers, and they may have to look at doing something themselves. not great for me but they were helpful!

if you have any brain waves, let me know!
    Niner Air 9 Carbon, 2010 S-WORKS 26" HT/FSR, 2009 Ibis Hakkalugi, 2008 Strange 5 Alpine.

mtbr member
    ready to go... except for huge hole where BB should be...... aaargh!!!

From Drop Box
    Last edited by dparry; 08-12-2010 at 09:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dparry
    ready to go... except for huge whole where BB should be...... aaargh!!!

From Drop Box
    STILL looks sweet!

mtbr member
    ...which makes it more frustrating not being able to ride it!!!

30-ton War Machine

mtbr member
    wont work either.... this has same issue as the MRP 1.x, the CYA insert overlaps the BB, so there is no spacer option here, BB mounts wont work. i am looking at the widgit as they have some in stock and can get to me on monday! i may just get cheap ass FD until then.

mtbr member
    Have you looked at the N-gear jumpstop?
    Sizing is here:

http://www.gvtc.com/~ngear/orders.html

mtbr member
    yeah, somebody contacted me offline about that one. i really dont want to have run a bash plate and inner catcher...

Looks like PaulComponents have come up trumps and will have an extended drop chainkeeper on website at end of month.. until then, i'll run a front derailleur. so there is a solution for those 1.x A9C runners. Thanks Paul!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    dparry - not to derail your thread, but do you think you could post some additional shots of your build? I've got a line on an A9c in Tang and would build it with parts I already own (white fork like yours, white stem, etc.). I'm having a hard time wrapping my arms around how it might look.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Have you tried without any retention device up front?

I used to run my Jet9 as a 1x9 using an X0 short RD and a tight chain (and non-ramped chainring from Middleburn). The chain never dropped in thousands of miles, except in a crash. Was also very clean looking.

mtbr member
    no i haven't thought about that... the renthal chainring is unramped also but XX is long cage der.. i dont fancy risking dropped chain, even with the frame guards on a carbon frame. sure it may work but not for me!... agree, would look clean though. if the Paul solution works, then that will be clean, small, matt black etc..
    Last edited by dparry; 08-17-2010 at 10:29 AM.

mtbr member
    sure, will do. i wanted to go all black but dont think the 2011 fox f29 terralogic comes in black. the white stem is a loner till i work out my stem length, then will go back to black... so all black apart from white fork. i'll put some picks up anyway for you. any particular areas?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    We've got this new iteration of the MRP 1x coming out in a month or so. Its currently in production, shown is a pre-production version. It will be black, but you can get a sense of the overall shape and design. It features a beautiful (and light) aluminum seat tube clamp mount. Any reason this wouldn't work on the Air 9 carbon? I've only admired them from afar.

NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Noah, i would think that would also work perfectly!! will the clamp etc be black also?
    stick me down for one ASAP, would be happy to do a review

mtbr member
    in fact if you wanted a pre prod testing would gladly help... i'm busting for a clean solution!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    sure, will do. i wanted to go all black but dont think the 2011 fox f29 terralogic comes in black. the white stem is a loner till i work out my stem length, then will go back to black... so all black apart from white fork. i'll put some picks up anyway for you. any particular areas?
    Thanks. Maybe just something from the front quarter.

RLK
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    What's the saddle? I like the looks of it.

Nice build

mtbr member
    its very good, a Charge Spoon. very cheap and great value!! frequent winner in UK mags for the budget saddles. i may replace when it wears out.. but its great for now. i find myself out the saddle on this one anyway...

[IMG]
    From Drop Box
    [/IMG]

mtbr member
    architectx, does this help? [IMG][/IMG]

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    architectx, does this help?
    Yep! Thanks a bunch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado
    We've got this new iteration of the MRP 1x coming out in a month or so. Its currently in production, shown is a pre-production version.
    On your site you don't recommend the existing model with M960 cranks. Will this new version work with cut-down 960's?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob
    On your site you don't recommend the existing model with M960 cranks. Will this new version work with cut-down 960's?
    Any version will work "cut-down" 960s b/c the issue has to do with that model's spider clearing the guide, but if they're cut down theres no problem. Cheers
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado
    Any version will work "cut-down" 960s b/c the issue has to do with that model's spider clearing the guide, but if they're cut down theres no problem. Cheers
    Awsome, black will be the only production color offered? That white prototype would be perfect for my new project (an SS / 1x10 2011 Flash 29er Carbon 2)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast