mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Niner A9C headset issue (with pictures)

I am installing my headset on my Niner A9C. I got the top part of the headset figured out, its this lower part where the fork crown comes into play. I bought the frame new and am using the pieces supplied in the bag.

-The first picture is the two pieces that have me baffled.

-The second picture is how I think it should go after reading around on the online manual pg. 41. (https://s3.amazonaws.com/NinerDocs/N...RS_UNIVERS.pdf)

-The third picture is how it fits nicely, but its with the bearing only, not the black race ring.

Do I eliminate that black ring holding me up, or does it need to be pressed down onto the steer tube? The picture with it showen about a 1/4" from being seated is with me pressing it down hand tight pretty generously. Also, is the bearing suppose to fit more "flush" on that race ring? There's a gap of about a 1/16". This is a Rockshox Reba 1.5" steer tube.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Niner A9C headset issue (with pictures)-img_20140526_143237_619.jpg  

Niner A9C headset issue (with pictures)-img_20140526_143336_454.jpg  

Niner A9C headset issue (with pictures)-img_20140526_143404_084-1-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The second pic is correct. You just have to set the black pc down to the fork crown. Bike shops have a tool for it or use a flat blade screwdriver and light hammer and work your way around carefully. it is not hard to do

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Alright thanks. And the small gap between the ring and the bearing shouldn't be an issue?

mtbr member
    Have a shop do it with the tool, or get a piece of PVC pipe and tap it down. The slight gap is not an issue, the race runs on the inner bearing not the flat surface.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The slight gap is by design. Otherwise the bearing would bind on the crown race (the black part)
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.