Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,154

    New WFO 9 front der. issues ?

    So whats the deal w/ the front derailleur ? I ordered a Shimano XT FD-M771-D & under almost full shock travel the derailleur cage hits the swingarm I call Niner and am told that derailleur is ok and to take my WFO to a dealer and have them take a look - WTF ? I read the older post about clearance issues but there was no resolution. I saw a SLX 661 bolt-on that appeared to have a shorter cage but I would prefer some answers before I buy another derailleur. Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    341
    sounds like you should take it to a dealer and have them look at it. I bet they'll take care of you.

  3. #3
    Flaccid Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,036
    Suggestions.

    A. Go higher on the shock pressure, run less sag.

    or

    B. Shiat can the Boost Valve RP23 and get one that really works.


    or


    C. Dump the XSV2 air can and get a Fox XSV1 air can for your shock, to prevent you from blowing through the mid range on the shock, and ramping it up a bit more near the bottom of the travel.

    or

    D. Don't go so big on your jumps.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,154
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Suggestions.

    A. Go higher on the shock pressure, run less sag.

    or

    B. Shiat can the Boost Valve RP23 and get one that really works.


    or


    C. Dump the XSV2 air can and get a Fox XSV1 air can for your shock, to prevent you from blowing through the mid range on the shock, and ramping it up a bit more near the bottom of the travel.

    or

    D. Don't go so big on your jumps.

    Wow that's slapping on a band-aid on Really wouldn't want to set-up the suspension incorrectly to remedy a mechanical interference issue.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: david8613's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,702
    Even better get a hammerschmidt!

  6. #6
    Flaccid Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,036
    Yeah, OP, get a Hammerschmidt, and all your problems will go away.

  7. #7
    BMJ
    BMJ is offline
    "42 lbs and climbing!"
    Reputation: BMJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,004
    Keen, I don't think you'll get a resolution on this issue. I've dealt with Niner extensively when I got mine and the only answer I got was that "Yes they contact and no it's not an issue". Weak answer if you ask me for an $1800 frame. If you got one of the closeouts, you'll just have to run your deraillier all the way up. What you'll find is that the chain will drag on the cage when you unload the suspension. One or the other will probably be your issue. Hopefully this is something they've addressed on the newer version. One shouldn't have to resort to going HammerSchmidt or single ring like I did when it's clearly designed to accept a front deraillier.

    Is what it is I think.

  8. #8
    Newt Guy
    Reputation: FrostyStruthers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    837
    Quote Originally Posted by BMJ
    Keen, I don't think you'll get a resolution on this issue. I've dealt with Niner extensively when I got mine and the only answer I got was that "Yes they contact and no it's not an issue". Weak answer if you ask me for an $1800 frame. If you got one of the closeouts, you'll just have to run your deraillier all the way up. What you'll find is that the chain will drag on the cage when you unload the suspension. One or the other will probably be your issue. Hopefully this is something they've addressed on the newer version. One shouldn't have to resort to going HammerSchmidt or single ring like I did when it's clearly designed to accept a front deraillier.

    Is what it is I think.
    Just got a ripping run in on the WFO. Good God. It makes me want to write a thread about it. Amazing ride. Snappy, chunky madness speed. Smashing that damn 'Zoke into everything.

    I looked, once again, for marks... for anything. The frame is rubbed raw in places from 8 hour rides in mud and snow and sand... just like I like it.... but no derailleur issues PERIOD. No chain dragging and no derailleur hitting.

    And run the derailleur "all the way up"? Am I missing something here? There is no "all the way" anywhere on a WFO. The front derailleur bolts onto a special tab. Am I riding a WFO? It says WFO on the side...



    Great freaking bike.
    Yes, steel is most certainly stronger than aluminum EVERY time.
    ~Frosty Struthers

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,835
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyStruthers
    Just got a ripping run in on the WFO. Good God. It makes me want to write a thread about it. Amazing ride. Snappy, chunky madness speed. Smashing that damn 'Zoke into everything.

    I looked, once again, for marks... for anything. The frame is rubbed raw in places from 8 hour rides in mud and snow and sand... just like I like it.... but no derailleur issues PERIOD. No chain dragging and no derailleur hitting.

    And run the derailleur "all the way up"? Am I missing something here? There is no "all the way" anywhere on a WFO. The front derailleur bolts onto a special tab. Am I riding a WFO? It says WFO on the side...



    Great freaking bike.
    Yep, you're missing something... The front derailleur can slide up and down on the mount. When it's as high as it can go, it will still contact the swingarm at full travel. Also, when it's in this position, the chain will drag on the derailleur until you compress the suspension.

    This problem doesn't seem to affect anything out on the trail as far as I can tell.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    457
    My XL WFO has not had this issue and I've been riding it hard for the past 5 months. I do have the DHX air and am running a 2x9 XTR crank, not sure if this helps anyone. Seems like most of the people that are having this problem are running the RP23 and the smaller frames. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    341
    most full suspension frames will rub when the suspension is not compressed. Its good thing, it means the bike was designed with the best shifting happening when your riding it not when its in a stand,

  12. #12
    Newt Guy
    Reputation: FrostyStruthers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    837
    Quote Originally Posted by nolan17
    My XL WFO has not had this issue and I've been riding it hard for the past 5 months. I do have the DHX air and am running a 2x9 XTR crank, not sure if this helps anyone. Seems like most of the people that are having this problem are running the RP23 and the smaller frames. Correct me if I'm wrong please.
    Large frame, RP23, "Boost Valve" can. 2x9 XTR. No problems.
    Yes, steel is most certainly stronger than aluminum EVERY time.
    ~Frosty Struthers

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,835
    Quote Originally Posted by nolan17
    My XL WFO has not had this issue and I've been riding it hard for the past 5 months. I do have the DHX air and am running a 2x9 XTR crank, not sure if this helps anyone. Seems like most of the people that are having this problem are running the RP23 and the smaller frames. Correct me if I'm wrong please.
    I have a large WFO. The shock is a DHX Air, but that has nothing to do with the issue. Have you actually let all the air out of your shock and bottomed the suspension at home? I did that and found that the derailleur (Shimano XT) contacted the swingarm. However, when riding the bike I can't tell if it is happening and I have definitely bottomed the shock multiple times. Apparently it just barely touches and does not hit hard enough to damage the swingarm or the derailleur. I'm not sure if that would be the case if I lowered the derailleur from the uppermost position.

  14. #14
    Newt Guy
    Reputation: FrostyStruthers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    837
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29
    Have you actually let all the air out of your shock and bottomed the suspension at home?
    People keep saying this like it is a problem. I don't get it? You disconnect your shock and cycle the rear end it is bound to hit SOMETHING eventually, and close don't count except in lice and mono.

    Does the rear derailleur hit anything when riding? Has anyone scuffed, bumped, dented and/or scratched their swingarm from contact with the derailleur while riding?

    Sorry for my ignorance.
    Yes, steel is most certainly stronger than aluminum EVERY time.
    ~Frosty Struthers

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,835
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyStruthers
    People keep saying this like it is a problem. I don't get it? You disconnect your shock and cycle the rear end it is bound to hit SOMETHING eventually, and close don't count except in lice and mono.

    Does the rear derailleur hit anything when riding? Has anyone scuffed, bumped, dented and/or scratched their swingarm from contact with the derailleur while riding?

    Sorry for my ignorance.
    1. I didn't disconnect the shock - I let the air out. Doing that allowed me to see what happens when the shock is fully compressed.

    2. The slot design of the derailleur mount is to allow you to adjust the height of the derailleur, however, since it already contacts the swingarm when at the top, you do not have full adjustability.

    3. In theory this could lead to the derailleur being damaged during a hard landing. My guess is that as long as you keep the derailleur in the top position it will flex just enough to remain intact.

    4. I don't know about other people's experiences, but so far this hasn't been a major issue for me other than I have had some difficulty getting all the gears to work in both chainrings without the chain rubbing. It's especially hard to tell when working on the bike because the chain drags anyway when the suspension is not compressed and the bike is on the stand.

    5. Without a high speed camera to capture the action, I assume that when I land a jump the derailleur first contacts the rubber inner tube I have wrapped around the swingarm for chainslap protection, it compresses the rubber, then flexes slightly before the swingarm reverses direction. (See point 3).

    To restate the problem: the derailleur can only be mounted in the upper position so I have no ability to adjust the height to optimize shifting and minimize chain rub. If I attempt to lower the derailleur for those reasons I run the risk of damaging the derailleur and/or swingarm.

    Are you satisfied yet, Mr Niner Fanboy? I mean, I love my NIners, but the new EBB, the broken Jet9s and the WFO derailleur mount are all mistakes. They fixed the Jet9, but so far I haven't heard anything about the WFO derailleur and SIR9/One9 EBB problems other than workarounds.

  16. #16
    Newt Guy
    Reputation: FrostyStruthers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    837
    Are you satisfied yet, Mr Niner Fanboy?
    Sure. Thanks for the description of your issues. I have none of your issues with the WFO "Mr Niner Fanboy" or not. No derailleur issues. No shifting issues. No issues at all.

    Go figure...
    Yes, steel is most certainly stronger than aluminum EVERY time.
    ~Frosty Struthers

  17. #17
    Flaccid Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,036
    No issues here, Large WFO, running the Shimano XT front derailleur I bought from Niner.

    What size and color is your frame?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    32

    W.F.O. - FD - Hammerschmidt

    I'm just going to pipe in here on the Hammerschmidt. I ran it on my W.F.O for the past 8-months. It sucks in the high gear setting. Very rough. In the 24T/low gear is works perfectly and the shifting is perfectly smooth, but the middle/high gear is useless in my opinion. You might as well run a 1x9 setup.

    With that being said, I put the XT M771D FD on my W.F.O. and it appears to be way to high (about 2cm with no possibility to adjust the vertical placement). . I haven't tried it with the shock compressed (running the DHX 5.0), but where it sits now it rubs on the gage in half the gear positions.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •