Thread: New WFO?

Twin Six METAL Team

New WFO?

Saw this on MTBR's Facebook page...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1798535&type=1

mtbr member
    yeap.... prototype. Good birds eye view on whats to come.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Looks like this prototype is quite close to the finished product and I look forward to hearing if there is a carbon version as well as added travel and shorter stays.

-Nolan

NMBP
    I think it looks good. Maybe it's just the angle, but that back tire looks really close to vertical rear triangle piece.

Loser
    Niner replied to the Facebook post with: "We are finalizing a few choices on this one, so we won't release details yet. However, I can tell you that it has gained travel. It is no longer a 140 bike. Look for a slacker HA and short stays, too."
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    Niner replied to the Facebook post with: "We are finalizing a few choices on this one, so we won't release details yet. However, I can tell you that it has gained travel. It is no longer a 140 bike. Look for a slacker HA and short stays, too."
    Awsome.

I originally thought the new RIP would fit the trail/AM mark, but with its limited travel it has fallen somewhere between xc and trail. Basically, no mans land, IMO. As much as this bike was anticipated I've not heard much a out since its release. Too much travel for xc/race, too little travel and too steep for AM/trail.

If Niner can get the stays closer to 17 with at least 150 of travel on both ends that would be the ticket for an AM/Enduro style bike. The Spec Enduro looks great but as a frame alone it costs too much, and as much as I like the FSR suspension, Niner's suspension is hard to beat.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Awsome.

I originally thought the new RIP would fit the trail/AM mark, but with its limited travel it has fallen somewhere between xc and trail. Basically, no mans land, IMO. As much as this bike was anticipated I've not heard much a out since its release. Too much travel for xc/race, too little travel and too steep for AM/trail.

If Niner can get the stays closer to 17 with at least 150 of travel on both ends that would be the ticket for an AM/Enduro style bike. The Spec Enduro looks great but as a frame alone it costs too much, and as much as I like the FSR suspension, Niner's suspension is hard to beat.
    I'm with you on all points. I loved my Rip RDO, but the frame was heavy for a long legged XC bike and not enough travel of shock options for a true all mountain machine. No mans land indeed.

I doubt that the WFO will have chainstays much shorter than 17.5 and it's probably more likely that it is closer to that of the Rip RDO at 17.7. Just looking at the pics posted thus far it doesn't look super short. I'd love to be wrong on this one however

I'll probably end up getting one because this is what I had hoped would be coming down the pipe after riding the Rip RDO. The CVA suspension is the real deal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    I'm with you on all points. I loved my Rip RDO, but the frame was heavy for a long legged XC bike and not enough travel of shock options for a true all mountain machine. No mans land indeed.

I doubt that the WFO will have chainstays much shorter than 17.5 and it's probably more likely that it is closer to that of the Rip RDO at 17.7. Just looking at the pics posted thus far it doesn't look super short. I'd love to be wrong on this one however

I'll probably end up getting one because this is what I had hoped would be coming down the pipe after riding the Rip RDO. The CVA suspension is the real deal.
    The WFO intrigues me, so much so that I may sell my brand new RIP for one. I have to take exception with the notion that the RIP is in no man's land, though. Even though I'd dump it for more travel, I really think it's the perfect bike for where I ride. I have some quite varied terrain within 15-20 minutes of my house, ranging from steep XC climbs (which I wouldn't want to do on a 150mm bike) to rocky, steep-ish descents (which I wouldn't want to do on an 80-100mm bike). Often these are on the same ride. The RIP fits the bill quite nicely for this. I'd probably be over-biked with the new WFO, but new interest in tougher downhill stuff makes the WFO interesting to me.

Carbon & Ti rule
    It is good to see a new WFO coming.

As for the Rip9 being in no mans land, Well that's were I ride.

Our trails are just all over the place with what they offer, One minute you need an XC bike, next min you need a trail bike & then the need for a down hill bike comes along.

For this sort of thing the Rip9 RDO is awesome.

I have no need or want for a longer travel bike with slacker H/A for the bulk of my riding, I also have no need for a XC HT.

But if the WFO comes up with around 150mm travel & 67 deg H/A, I may well just buy one for the odd trip away for shuttle run days, But wouldn't sell a bike to buy it.

I would just add it for the days away.

mtbr member
    Looks like a real competitor to the Spesh Enduro 29'er. Nice to see the 150mm 29'er segment growing up.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The perfect bike for this trail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New WFO?-img_0448.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    It is good to see a new WFO coming.

As for the Rip9 being in no mans land, Well that's were I ride.

Our trails are just all over the place with what they offer, One minute you need an XC bike, next min you need a trail bike & then the need for a down hill bike comes along.

For this sort of thing the Rip9 RDO is awesome.

I have no need or want for a longer travel bike with slacker H/A for the bulk of my riding, I also have no need for a XC HT.

But if the WFO comes up with around 150mm travel & 67 deg H/A, I may well just buy one for the odd trip away for shuttle run days, But wouldn't sell a bike to buy it.

I would just add it for the days away.
    Maybe I should clarify. I really really really loved my Rip RDO. So much so that I wanted more...more travel, more shock options etc. That's more a personal preference thing though.

Not trying to knock the Rip RDO, still the best suspension I've ridden.

Carbon & Ti rule
    It will be good to see what spec's they end up going with.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    Maybe I should clarify. I really really really loved my Rip RDO. So much so that I wanted more...more travel, more shock options etc. That's more a personal preference thing though.

Not trying to knock the Rip RDO, still the best suspension I've ridden.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

mtbr member
    Curious if there's any new info on this out there... This bike really intrigues me.

Loser
    After getting the alloy RIP9 I have been obsessively reading reviews, why would I do that AFTER getting a new bike? I don't know.

Anyway, I see some people wanting the RIP to have slacker head angle, shorter stays and longer travel - I don't need any of those things on my RIP. I am not a hucker - not that I don't catch air, I do, but I don't look for stuff to drop off of and definitely don't session features. I ride my bike up and down and hit whatever comes along the way. For my type of riding, I think the RIP is perfect.

If you're going to the next level and are looking to "go big" then the WFO or new Spec Enduro is probably what you're looking for.

Maybe I ride in no-mans-land too.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    After getting the alloy RIP9 I have been obsessively reading reviews, why would I do that AFTER getting a new bike? I don't know.

Anyway, I see some people wanting the RIP to have slacker head angle, shorter stays and longer travel - I don't need any of those things on my RIP. I am not a hucker - not that I don't catch air, I do, but I don't look for stuff to drop off of and definitely don't session features. I ride my bike up and down and hit whatever comes along the way. For my type of riding, I think the RIP is perfect.

If you're going to the next level and are looking to "go big" then the WFO or new Spec Enduro is probably what you're looking for.

Maybe I ride in no-mans-land too.
    I'm with you. My 12 RIP 9 with a 140 fork suits the trails I ride just fine. I call it an "aggressive trail" setup. More that just a trail set up but a step down from all mountain.

That prototype does look very nice ! More travel than I would ever use though

Keep on Rockin...
    Does anyone else feel that 29" wheels on the back of an AM bike that is pushed hard feel flimsy?

Too loose in the caboose.

Niner, like the original WFO, from way back, please offer a rear 150 TA version.

mtbr member
    I dont think so. Maybe on the pro-rider level. Im 245 riding weight and have a fairly common hope/stans Flow wheel set, so far havent had any issues in almost 2 years on the wheels, and havent felt that they were flimsy even on the rocky and fast trails at the Northstar park. I think with solid components and skilled hand build the wheels should be fine. I mean, if you have a lifetime of experience on heavy duty 26" wheels you will probably notice a difference, but I dont think that means the wheels are flimsy.
    "That's a niiiiiiiice biiike boy! That a Huffy!?"