Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    errr...
    Last edited by chase1963; 06-19-2012 at 08:19 AM.

mtbr member
    If it came in Green I would be selling mine right now!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

No

I'm sorry, but no,no, NO !
    Call me a old retro grouch, but bent down tubes have no place on a steel frame, IMHO
    And why Maxle in the rear and not Syntace X-12 ? It's lighter, better looking and more versatile then Maxle.
    Was that 1 per frame royalty fee that Syntace asks really that much for Niner to consider ?

I waited a long time (even repaired my current steel frame which cracked to hold on knowing that new steel Niner is coming), but now it's not going to happen.
    I'm sure it's a great bike, though.

29er
    Apr 2010
    i love it, wish it were available 2 months ago

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Looks great! I wish for sliders!

29 TO LIFE

Dissapointed

Too little, too late. It needed a geometry update (slacker HA and longer fork compatibility). I agree with all other opinions listed above also. They are missing out on a huge bike market by not making it more aggressive like so many people have been asking for. Niner says they listen to customer input but I think they are listening to the customers that are asking for what Niner wants to do. Another year and another bike from another manufacturer for me!

mtbr member
    Call me a old retro grouch, but bent down tubes have no place on a steel frame, IMHO
    Would you rather the fork hit the down tube then?
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojos Azules View Post

I'm sure it's a great bike, though.
    I am getting the impression you're a...how do you say?....hmmmmm....oh I know! "Old retro grouch". I don't know why it took me so long to think of that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    Would you rather the fork hit the down tube then?
    Let's see...

Salsa El Mariachi, Cotic Simple/Solaris, Gas Ventinove Stambek, Soulcraft The Tradesman (just to name a few XC ones and not going to mention bunch of AM steel hardtails)
    They all have 44 headtube paired with straight downtube and no problems with front stiffness or fork clearence.
    I wander how they managed to do that ?

mtbr member
    I wander how they managed to do that ?
    retro grouch power i guess?
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Just put my order in for Arctic white.

COMBO - President
    I love it, nay sayers are always out there and have the biggest mouths, if they don't like it then go somewhere else. The bike looks great and I love the bent tubes. All the details like Maxle are fine with me.

I wonder if the MCR is dead now or getting upgraded as well? Suspect its dead. Not whining, just asking.

mtbr member
    So that means I gotta buy a new wheelset just to get this frame? Dangit I'm gonna ride my Canfield N9 for now. Maybe I am better off getting the 2011 SIR.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by FASTK View Post
    I love it, nay sayers are always out there and have the biggest mouths, if they don't like it then go somewhere else.
    Exactly. If you don't like it, move along. People just love burning calories being negative butt-holes for some reason. It is what forums are made for.

Oh, and I think it is pretty sweet. They added some great improvements. I was hoping that they would release a Bio-Centric 2!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnachos View Post
    So that means I gotta buy a new wheelset just to get this frame? Dangit I'm gonna ride my Canfield N9 for now. Maybe I am better off getting the 2011 SIR.
    Was planning on setting up a 1x9 SIR in October for the UK winter. In the same boat as you, another wheelset (got 2 already), bugger that I'll buy someone else's Steel 29er...

Then again, if Niner make a replacement Jet rear triangle thats 145x12 & do a VERY nice trade in offer, then I might be interested again. Otherwise, my are going to someone.

djw
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    It seems like the seat tube and head tube angles are mixed up on the niner site. Unless the steering angle is 73.3 and the seat tube is 71.3.

29ers Only.
    Quote Originally Posted by djw View Post
    It seems like the seat tube and head tube angles are mixed up on the niner site. Unless the steering angle is 73.3 and the seat tube is 71.3.
    Whoops. Will see if we can't get that fixed. Thanks!

Carla

Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Soooooo.... how soon until the MCR follows this new build? I may have to change plans of bikes.....
    Fat guys need bikes too.

29er
    Apr 2010
    yet another good reason to buy hadley hubs, I'm glad i did
    easily and cheaply convert to any standard

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Don't get me wrong here & I absolutely love what I see.

I currently own the SIR and love it to bits. Niner must have done their homework and upgraded IMO, the best value frame in their entire range. I'm sure there are some improvements to the ride quality but will I upgrade my current SIR to the new SIR? Look below:-

You will need to replace the following:-

Headset
    Fork
    142 Maxle conversion (In the worst case scenario, the hub)

I'm sure there will be arguments that you can use back the 1-1/8 fork but that'll defeat the purpose of having the new frame. We're no longer looking at just the price of a pricey frame but also the components that will enable one to swap to the new SIR from the old.

To make things worse (for me personally), I have just bought a new rear hub (The pricey Extralite HyperRear), a new 1-1/8 fork this month (My Niner carbon fork is still being used for 90% of my rides) and my CK headset is barely 2 months old.

Chris/Carla/Fuzzy - If you're reading this, you could consider my humble request to have a special upgrade program for current owners. Don't forget us cos we were there when Niner was in it's infancy stages. Like the saying goes "Leave no man behind", let alone customers who were there behind you some time back. Put my name in your list of customers who'll buy one if you do decide what I said makes sense.

mtbr member
    If SIR9's geometry is already determined, why can't you make MCR more AM oriented then? Two bikes with same geo and material don't make sense. Expand your bike range with an AM hardtail frame. (I'll take one free sample for giving you idea, thank you. Size M, colour rootbeer)
    Funkyzeit!

mtbr member
    Will the new S.I.R.9 replace both the models like the old S.I.R.9 and the M.C.R.9 or there'll show a new M.C.R.9 soon?

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    EDIT: I see it now. The SIR9 comes with everything needed to run gears too. Time to confuse the wife with a change of heart on bikes....

Wait. On Singletrack's site that is linked in the OP, the rear has a derailleur hanger and is geared. I see no mention of this on Niner's site. Is there an option to run gears with this frame like Singletrack has?
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have a set of Stans Flow wheels with the SS specifc ZTR hub. Can it be refitted to work with the maxel rear end of the new SIR 9, and if so, what is involved in the conversion? Thanks.

29ers Only.
    It's unfortunate that when standards change, parts will need to be replaced or adapted. We're all riders who have to budget for new toys and make tough decisions the same as everyone. But Niner has never been a backward-looking brand - as long as time continues to move largely forward (), we will update our models with modern features that improve the precision and ride quality of our bikes.

The Headset, Maxle, Bio-Centric II and parts for a geared drivetrain (cable guides, dropout) will all be included with the frame. You can use the Bio-Centric II with a front derailleur, or you have the option of using any of the CYA inserts we developed for the Air 9 Carbon (the ability to use CYA is new to this version of the SIR 9).

The headset was specifically selected for use with a tapered steerer tube but if you wish to use a 1-1/8" fork, you can replace the included external lower cup with a Zero Stack (internal) cup/bearing/race.

Questions always welcome! If you want to talk in person give us a call! 877-646-3792

Carla
    Last edited by Niner Bikes; 06-20-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast