Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    djw
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Will the Bio-Centric II inserts fit the older SIR 9s?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes View Post
    It's unfortunate that when standards change, parts will need to be replaced or adapted. We're all riders who have to budget for new toys and make tough decisions the same as everyone. But Niner has never been a backward-looking brand - as long as time continues to move largely forward (), we will update our models with modern features that improve the precision and ride quality of our bikes.

The Headset, Maxle, Bio-Centric II and parts for a geared drivetrain (cable guides, dropout) will all be included with the frame. You can use the Bio-Centric II with a front derailleur, or you have the option of using any of the CYA inserts we developed for the Air 9 Carbon.

The headset was specifically selected for use with a tapered steerer tube but if you wish to use a 1-1/8" fork, you can replace the included external lower cup with a Zero Stack (internal) cup/bearing/race.

Questions always welcome! If you want to talk in person give us a call! 877-646-3792

Carla
    So no more MCR9 in the future? SIR will be 2 bikes in one?

banned
    I like the idea of a few others of slacking the MCR. Shorten the stays while at it. I cant see the MCR being dropped. They have certainly sold well. Not everyone wants EBB or the ability to run SS.

Also, Ritchey has a slopped DT and cost the same. Could'nt tell if the gussets were removed on the new SIR.

The 142 rear is a turn off on a XC, theres just to many 135's out there at this time. A new wheelset and frame for someone swapping parts to a new frame might turn people towards something else.

29 TO LIFE

This is a bike forum correct?

Quote Originally Posted by gfs69 View Post
    Exactly. If you don't like it, move along. People just love burning calories being negative butt-holes for some reason. It is what forums are made for.

Oh, and I think it is pretty sweet. They added some great improvements. I was hoping that they would release a Bio-Centric 2!
    I am just wondering because I voiced my opinion about a bike and you turned it into a personal attack on me and others. Please try to keep your comments directed toward bike discussion and not people. If you cant do this than maybe you should start a new forum somewhere else where you can insult people.

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The 142 rear is a turn off on a XC, theres just to many 135's out there at this time. A new wheelset and frame for someone swapping parts to a new frame might turn people towards something else.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. I just spoke with the tech department at Stans, and they tell me that my SS specific ZTR hub can't be converted to the 142 maxel. So if I want the new SIR 9, I'll need to buy a new wheel or rebuild my existing wheel with a new hub and spokes (and a $42 maxel conversion kit). Using a Hope Pro II or comparable hub, this would add an extra $400 to $500 to the cost of a new SIR 9. While the maxel rear end may be stiffer, not sure its worth the extra cost to me.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tiki View Post
    The 142 rear is a turn off on a XC, theres just to many 135's out there at this time. A new wheelset and frame for someone swapping parts to a new frame might turn people towards something else.
    Indeed. I just spoke with the tech department at Stans, and they tell me that my SS specific ZTR hub can't be converted to the 142 maxel. So if I want the new SIR 9, I'll need to buy a new wheel or rebuild my existing wheel with a new hub and spokes (and a $42 maxel conversion kit). Using a Hope Pro II or comparable hub, this would add an extra $400 to $500 to the cost of a new SIR 9. While the maxel rear end may be stiffer, not sure its worth the extra cost to me.[/QUOTE]

WORTH the investment. More pics and info posted to the Niner SS thread comparing old S.I.R.9 to new.

Official Niner Single Speed Thread
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New SIR9 ! Looks great in Hot Tamale or Arctic White-142maxle.jpg  

New SIR9 ! Looks great in Hot Tamale or Arctic White-maxledrive.jpg  

New SIR9 ! Looks great in Hot Tamale or Arctic White-ebb2.jpg  

New SIR9 ! Looks great in Hot Tamale or Arctic White-44ht.jpg  

New SIR9 ! Looks great in Hot Tamale or Arctic White-evsir9.jpg  

Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

banned
    Should'nt the gentlemen in the first pic. With what looks like a flat bar and -17* stem be wearing lycra instead of knickers and grandpa socks? Is that leg hair I see?

Kidding, Kidding..someone had to point it out

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Troll View Post
    Should'nt the gentlemen in the first pic. With what looks like a flat bar and -17* stem be wearing lycra instead of knickers and grandpa socks? Is that leg hair I see?

Kidding, Kidding..someone had to point it out
    I found it odd the rider was clean shaven...

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnachos View Post
    So that means I gotta buy a new wheelset just to get this frame? Dangit I'm gonna ride my Canfield N9 for now. Maybe I am better off getting the 2011 SIR.
    Not necessarily, what kind of hubs are you running? Many of the hubs out there are "up-standardable".

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by simen View Post
    If SIR9's geometry is already determined, why can't you make MCR more AM oriented then?
    With the 44mm headset, in theory you could run an angleset (commence angleset bashing now)...and tweak the geo a bit on the SIR. I'm assuming by "AM" you are requesting a slacker HA?

Cane Creek Cycling Components :: Components :: Headsets

However, I'm not sure if this would then be compatible with a tapered steerer tube fork, so this could be a deal breaker for the most aggressive and gnarly SIR riders out there?

mtbr member
    Agreed. Man I love Niner but these changes through me over for a loop. I don't have $500-$1000 (frame not included) to throw around on upgrades and what not. It's too bad cuz I love the colors they chose this time around. I have to settle for earlier versions. This is definitely an advantage for riders who want to buy a whole 29er bike. I'll suck it up and ask myself later in the year if I want it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm glad to see the movement forward on the headtube and maxle. Progress is good. If you don't like it then ride your old crap and shut up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes View Post
    But Niner has never been a backward-looking brand - as long as time continues to move largely forward

Carla
    Thanks for taking your time to explain the fact that customers that have rendered their past love & support for the brand & the company is no longer worth any value. I guess it's time I look elsewhere too.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Man I'm so upset, Ford told me the 2013 engine and interior won't fit in my 2005. They are such *****. I'm super happy with how that bike looks. And I'll gladly upgrade to get all the new features.pretty sure you can still use a non tapered fork in this frame with the right headset and if your wheels can't upgrade to 142x12 them it was probably time for new ones anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleForScience View Post
    Man I'm so upset, Ford told me the 2013 engine and interior won't fit in my 2005. They are such *****. I'm super happy with how that bike looks. And I'll gladly upgrade to get all the new features.pretty sure you can still use a non tapered fork in this frame with the right headset and if your wheels can't upgrade to 142x12 them it was probably time for new ones anyways.
    This. Only I wanted the 2012 Accord engine in my 96 Accord with a 6 speed manual out of the 07 Civic Si.

The cost of moving forward sometimes eliminates the past. Stiffer front... stiffer back... progress.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    too much me-me-me in this thread. More Bike-Bike-bike please.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    i notice the sticker on the brake side says "max 185" wouldn't not be "185 ONLY"?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by murphyd View Post
    Looks great! I wish for sliders!
    Had me at new sir9, lost me with biocentric.
    Oh well.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    I know it's been said that they didn't offer the Jet 9 RDO with a 142 as it made such a small difference. But with the TB now coming with a 142 and now niner making the new SIR9 with it, I wonder if the Jet9 RDO is going to be updated...
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Will there be any plans to offer a build kit with a sinlge speed setup? All the current build kits include gears and what not. Would be nice to get the price break on the factory stufff insted of buying a frame and everything a part at a time or buying a geared build and tossing parts one doesn't want/need.

Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Given the fact that many buyers of the new SIR 9 will need wheels and a tapered fork, a full SS build kit might appeal to more buyers than usual. Not exactly the right thread, but does anyone know when the 2013 RockShox forks will be available?

mtbr member
    The rear hubs are Spinergy Xyclone. The other rear is a Shimano LX.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Love the new frame but sure would like to see a new MCR. Any word from Niner???

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by leeco View Post
    Love the new frame but sure would like to see a new MCR. Any word from Niner???
    Wish they would say, I too am interested more in MCR.

Anyone know the approximate weight of the new SIR9?

mtbr member
    Well, I'm having my LBS price one of these up with a single speed build. We'll see what happens. I like the frame, hope the build falls somewhere in my price race.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast