mtbr member

New sir 9 brakes issues... Help

So I just got my new SIR9 in small, pull an all nighter to put it together got everything all set, except for the rear brake mounting.

Don't know if it's that the frame is a small, but I'm having the HARDEST time mounting the rear brake into the post mount brake bosses, can find the exact amount of spacers to line up the caliper and disc (trying to use a 160 mm). Fit is so tight that I've tried 3 different allen wrenches and none will fit just enough to tight the screw

Anyone experienced this issue? How did you guys did the install?

Desperate to ride my new bike, can't believe a stupid brake assembly is kicking my behind

HELP...!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New sir 9 brakes issues... Help-sir9_detail_4.jpg  

psycho cyclo addict
    A ball ended allen wrench is what I use in tight spots like that.

banned
    Long ball headed T handle allen wrench. Not the short ones. The ones that are about
    10" long. Good luck.

Edit: Bondhus makes some good ones.Take a look at these.....
    Hex & Ball End T-Handles

mtbr member
    I'll give it a try with a T handle wrench, I can get the screws tight, real problem is that when I tight them, caliper moves, tried tighting less than 1/8 of a turn in each screw at a time, and still nothing.

Also how many spacers in both ends is giving me a hard time, according to the pic is the same amount of spacers both ends, tried it, and nothing, disc rubs, so I'm trying different heights, have a nice combination between both heights but it creates a tighter fit to get the allen wrench in and back to the caliper moving

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The spacers/washers in the pic appear to be the ones that allow you to align the caliper as you tighten. For the life of me I can't remember what they are called at the moment. They are standard on bb7s and the like. Are you using those or something different?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Sram uses spherical washers for alignment. On the newer systems they go away with them. Shimano typically does not use any. You should make sure that you A) have the correct setup and B) tighten them slowlyer. <- new word just for you. The other posters were correct, on my wifes bike it has x0 brakes and I used a ball end allen wrench. It works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shockfinder View Post
    The spacers/washers in the pic appear to be the ones that allow you to align the caliper as you tighten. For the life of me I can't remember what they are called at the moment. They are standard on bb7s and the like. Are you using those or something different?
    Using the same ones, actually I'm installing the same X0 caliper

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Here is a trick that use when adjusting my Avid brake calipers and it has worked every time. While the calipers are slighty loose (caliper can move from side to side freely) and with rear wheel and disc installed and in place on the bike, squeeze the brake lever and hold. This will align the caliper with the disc. While continuing to hold the brake lever, tighten down the caliper bolts. This keeps the caliper from moving as you tighten down all while keeping the alignment. I use this trick whenever I change brake pads or install new brakes. After doing this if there is any disc rub, it will most likely only be in a few spots and is probably coming from the disc being slightly bent in those areas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryder75 View Post
    Here is a trick that use when adjusting my Avid brake calipers and it has worked every time. While the calipers are slighty loose (caliper can move from side to side freely) and with rear wheel and disc installed and in place on the bike, squeeze the brake lever and hold. This will align the caliper with the disc. While continuing to hold the brake lever, tighten down the caliper bolts. This keeps the caliper from moving as you tighten down all while keeping the alignment. I use this trick whenever I change brake pads or install new brakes. After doing this if there is any disc rub, it will most likely only be in a few spots and is probably coming from the disc being slightly bent in those areas.
    Yeah, that's the way I'm doing it, now I just realized something's going on with the hub, seems like it's not rotating freely, I did the 12x142 conversion from QR and now apparently something's off, I've follow the instructions accordingly, everything looks good, but when I install the cassette and throw the wheel into the bike, hub does not move accordingly. Now I have more variables than before, disc rubbing the pads, hub not running freely, think the deraillure is not straight causing the chain not to pull straight, I don't even now if the Maxle is too tight and that is causing the frame to twist and affect the alignment of the hub etc.

Bit of a nightmare right now, too be honest I think Im going to have to take the by to my LBS so they can go over everything, thinking about buying a new hub that comes with the 12x142 system from OEM, just to make sure there's nothing wrong there