mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New Single Speed.... help me choose my frame

I'm upgrading my single speed frame this off-season, going from a 2009 SIR 9 with Niner carbon fork to either an Air 9 Carbon SS or the new and improvied SIR 9 SS.

Price difference is about $300 when you figure my team discounts and the need to upgrade my rear hub for the SIR 9's maxxle configuration.

I like my SIR 9 and it has treated me well..... but I'm really tempted by the nearly 2 pounds of weight savings that the A9C could give me..... but will the A9C be too harsh of a ride compared to the SIR9?

I'm a racer, but not all that serious about it. I do more endurance races than XC races.

What should I do!?!

mtbr member
    I personally don't think that my A9C is harsh at all, and I like my steel frame bikes. To me, it has most of the comfort of steel with more stiffness where it counts in the bottom bracket / headtube / etc. I don't feel beat up when I'm finished riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    $300 price difference between carbon and steel...? Why ask? Steel is real (heavy) and if you are racing the bike why would you bother with anything other than carbon? Seems like a no brainer if you ask me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by blum585 View Post
    $300 price difference between carbon and steel...? Why ask? Steel is real (heavy) and if you are racing the bike why would you bother with anything other than carbon? Seems like a no brainer if you ask me.
    This is exactly the kind of encouragement I need

I think you're right and I am leaning towards the A9C. The majority of the racing I do is 100 miler or 12/24 hour type stuff as opposed to the hammer fest XC stuff. But I'm still thinking carbon is worth trying.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Don't know, probably can't go wrong either way, but I'm really liking my new-version Sir 9!

Dirty South Underdog
    Carbon. Always carbon.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by msugma View Post
    I'm upgrading my single speed frame this off-season, going from a 2009 SIR 9 with Niner carbon fork to either an Air 9 Carbon SS or the new and improvied SIR 9 SS.

Price difference is about $300 when you figure my team discounts and the need to upgrade my rear hub for the SIR 9's maxxle configuration.

I like my SIR 9 and it has treated me well..... but I'm really tempted by the nearly 2 pounds of weight savings that the A9C could give me..... but will the A9C be too harsh of a ride compared to the SIR9?

I'm a racer, but not all that serious about it. I do more endurance races than XC races.

What should I do!?!
    The A9C is wayyy stiff for sure. Ride feels harsh compared to other carbon HT's, SIR w/ carbon fork and SIR w/ steel fork. I'd try to find one in your area to ride before buying.

For me @ just under 200 lbs. with no gear on, losing < 1% weight is not a worthwhile endeavor IMO. I'd still rather play rocks, metal frame, scissors any day and twice on Sunday's

mtbr member
    The Air9C is the way to go. Why? Because it is like getting 2 bike for the price of one. You can ride her SS or geared. Train all winter on the SS and come race time throw on the 10 speed and "Poof" you have a geared bike to race those 100 milers. You know you need a few gears to make those miles fly by.
    Steel is ok and you have one so try carbon and see the added benefit of the power transfer straight to the wheel. You would be flying on the Air9C.
    Pedal Dammit!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
    The Air9C is the way to go. Why? Because it is like getting 2 bike for the price of one. You can ride her SS or geared. Train all winter on the SS and come race time throw on the 10 speed and "Poof" you have a geared bike to race those 100 milers. You know you need a few gears to make those miles fly by.
    Steel is ok and you have one so try carbon and see the added benefit of the power transfer straight to the wheel. You would be flying on the Air9C.
    Not a valid arguement for the Air9C...The Sir9 also comes with a derailleur hanger.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I own em both and I race em both, SS! Cant go wrong either way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Not a valid arguement for the Air9C...The Sir9 also comes with a derailleur hanger.
    Single Speed only for me. No need for gears where I live. I like the A9C better in that regard, actually. It's a cleaner looking single speed since all of its shifter cable guides are inside the frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by trevrev97 View Post
    I own em both and I race em both, SS! Cant go wrong either way.
    Perfect! Can you expand on your riding impressions of both? If you could only have one as your race/trail riding/do anything mountain bike, which one would you choose?

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Any reason why you're not considering the One 9???
    Its a great bike as well and can be converted to gears if need be.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL View Post
    Any reason why you're not considering the One 9???
    Its a great bike as well and can be converted to gears if need be.
    Probably because the alloy is more harsh and the EBB creaks like my grandmother's antique rocking chair. Nothing against Niner, I loved the way their frame fit and the ride quality but I've had ZERO luck with alloy SS frames with EBB's. I've tried the Specialized Stumpjumper SS, Salsa Selma, and the Niner One 9, all creaked like old rocking chairs. The only SS I had that did not creak was my Raleigh XXIX SS. It was steel and heavy but was super comfortable. My next SS (if I end up going back to one) will be something with sliders for sure.
    MCH Co-Captain

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Quote Originally Posted by erichwic View Post
    Probably because the alloy is more harsh and the EBB creaks like my grandmother's antique rocking chair. Nothing against Niner, I loved the way their frame fit and the ride quality but I've had ZERO luck with alloy SS frames with EBB's. I've tried the Specialized Stumpjumper SS, Salsa Selma, and the Niner One 9, all creaked like old rocking chairs. The only SS I had that did not creak was my Raleigh XXIX SS. It was steel and heavy but was super comfortable. My next SS (if I end up going back to one) will be something with sliders for sure.
    why are you responding for the original poster...

I have two alloy frames with EBB's a Niner and a Cannondale.
    Also have two other Niner's in the family with EBB's
    No creaks... no issues.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by erichwic View Post
    I definitely had some creaking/slipping issues with my SIR 9 SS. I was to the point where I decided my next single speed would have horizontal dropouts or sliders. THen I got the EBB II and all of my problems were solved! Seriously - no slips or creaks yet! Really impressed.

The One 9 is a nice frame too. I've heard good things. I'm really narrowed down to the either Steel or Carbon though, from a ride quality stand point.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by msugma View Post
    I definitely had some creaking/slipping issues with my SIR 9 SS. I was to the point where I decided my next single speed would have horizontal dropouts or sliders. THen I got the EBB II and all of my problems were solved! Seriously - no slips or creaks yet! Really impressed.
    Agreed, I had issues with the first gen EBB on my ONE9, then got the EBB v.2 with the two bolts. Zero issues for 3 months now, zero. Not a sound or slip. The redesign is solid and I have a new love for my SS!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I have ridden a SIR 9 set up SS and rigid and it rode wonderfully well. Very fast and as comfy as a rigid HT can be...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Go for the A9C, and keep the Sir9
    Best of both worlds then

I actually thought that the One 9 was MORE compliant than the A9C. But you're a racer. Get the carbon already. Plenty have done 100 milers on the A9C with no issues.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Sir9+Carbon fork >> A9C+carbon fork.
    You're an endurance racer, you'll appreciate the comfort the Sir9 offers at the 13th hour into the race
    12' Sir9 Rigid
    11' Jabber Rigid
    10 SJ SS rigid
    10' Swork SS 29er
    10' Tallboy
    08' RM Vertex SS

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I would go for the A9C. It looks awesome en the ride is sweet.