Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Moderator Moderator

New RIP9 colors - updated with detailed linkage shots

Hi Guys,

I've gotten a lot of email requests to see the next generation RIP9 colors. Here is the licorice ano (black ano), Moondust Grey, and Milk Dud Ano (brown ano).

Cheers,

Brett
    Niner Bikes
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 2melow; 10-15-2008 at 11:09 PM.
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    your killing me!!!

Thanks for the photos. Colorways look really nice but seriously. No more photos until it is available!!!!! I dont want to see it unless it is under me!!!!

Saucy Size
    No pink? Hot ano pink, baby.

Man that brown looks nice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I am digging the black one..............the new changes may just be the data i needed to go ahead and commit to a rip........the video from interbike was very helpful, the ability to buy frame and fork also is a good idea to me, but one question is does the frame/fork combo come with the headset already pressed into headtube and fork crown ???

MTB B'dos
    Ah stop teasing Brett I'm very glad to see the Ano Black, always thought it'd look super nice Would have been nice if you guys could have found a Ano Blue similar to the original Atomic Blue - really do love the colour. Looking forward to seeing one of these in another year not looking forward to the years wait
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

On MTBR hiatus :(
    You're killing me!

The Milk Dud is perfec't to hide the dus't. Yummy. Unfortunately, I have no excuse to replace my "classic" RIP9.

My what?
    speedub.nate
    · MTBR Hiatus UFN ·

mtbr member
    WOW what a great looking buch of bikes.
    I need to make more money to buy all the bikes I want,need, and want.

Moderator Moderator
    Here are some complete bike shots. Thanks to Brian for taking these pics!

Brett
    Niner Bikes

I Shot a Man In Reno
    What sizes are these, were I to guess...black=XL, moondust/milkdud are L.

Steve

Moderator Moderator
    Correct!

lookin' for a hill
    how about black with black linkages?
    also, any wild colors like the atomic blue, kermit, or tang?
    what about the Jet colors for 09.

I have been sitting around the bike shop, and thinking "a Niner in '09". I just wish our shop carried your bikes. The only way I have seen it as a possibility is through QBP and the dreamcycle builder - though our shop doesn't seem to participate in that.

MTB B'dos
    How about some proper close ups of the tubing so we can really see the hydro form properly? Also some general close ups of the new linkages and design to really see what has been changed in the rockers and how they bolt onto the triangles?
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    How about pictures of an EMD in new moondust grey ?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    How about some proper close ups of the tubing so we can really see the hydro form properly? Also some general close ups of the new linkages and design to really see what has been changed in the rockers and how they bolt onto the triangles?

Lyncoln,

Let me upload some for you. There are so many changes with this new RIP9 it deserves some detailed pics.

Brett

Reviewer/Tester
    Ohh, that black RIP is yummy... Stealth...yeah..

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

welds look tacky

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

I'm really sorry to say this and hope it looks better in person but that metal brace at the head tube looks like a kid in 9 th grade metal shop cut it and put it in there. Does it cost more this year than last?

mtbr member

Sorry to say,

Quote Originally Posted by cottonball
    I'm really sorry to say this and hope it looks better in person but that metal brace at the head tube looks like a kid in 9 th grade metal shop cut it and put it in there. Does it cost more this year than last?
    But I agree...That thing looks crazy cheap...I would however kill for a black Fox 120..I love Niner bikes alot but you couldn't give me one of these rip 9's...

lookin' for a hill
    definitely not Cannondale welds...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nikwashere
    definitely not Cannondale welds...
    they don't look that much different............aren't big beefy welds stronger ??

I'll take strength/stiffness over aesthetics any day !!!

Moderator Moderator

The Beef

Hey Guys,

Here are some pics of the super beefy linkages, hydroformed tubes, 1.5 to 1.25 tapered headtube, and a good shot of the lower hydroformed tube which joins the lower linkage. Some of these shots also show an example of all the forgings we used on this next generation RIP9 (10 total).

The 1.5 headtube/hydroformed top tube/down tube allows us to create a HUGE surface area to weld big burly tubes. This combination produces unmatched stiffness compared to frames in its class utilizing traditional straight/butted tubes. The hydroformed lower portion of our down tube forms into a "box section" or square shape which puts up huge stiffness numbers compared to a standard butted round tube as well.

Also, the forged linkages top and bottom are now 1 piece each. The first generation RIP9 used 7 pieces top and bottom for each linkage. Lots of development went into this next generation, and we hope you can throw your leg over this machine to see for yourself! A lot of new technology went into this new frame nobody else is utilizing in 29er frame development, and I'd encourage you to compare it to any other trail bike in it's class which costs $500+ more.

Cheers,

Brett
    Niner Bikes
    Last edited by 2melow; 10-15-2008 at 11:17 PM.

lookin' for a hill
    those are some nice linkages. the welds look better in these pics, and usually I would pick strength over aesthetics, it's just they are such cool frames, and as an artist I value the "roll of nickels" welds that seasoned pros achieve precisely. In the pics with the grey and milk dud, the welds gave the otherwise smooth line of the frame a frankenstein-like appearance.

But enough with the RIP, when do we get the spread of the new Jet Vanna White?

Lone Wolf McQuade
    any wild colors like the atomic blue, kermit, or tang?
    Are any of these colors available on the RIP?
    I should be out riding....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beagledadi
    Are any of these colors available on the RIP?
    No. The colors you see are the colors the RIP will be available in. Hence the title of the tread "New RIP9 colors ......"

Supersonic Garfield
    Hi,

will the linkages be compatible with older models?

T

Reviewer/Tester

Good job!

Those improvements look really strong. I would love to test one of those new RIP9 frames set up as an all mountain machine. A black stealth bomber with Gordo rims and chunky tires ... sounds just like my cup of tea...

Send me one today ...

Thanks,

Rainman.
    It is inevitable ...

AOK
    mtbr member
    Is that a internal/integrated headset, or is it just a funky angle on the HT picture?

lookin' for a hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    I would love to test one of those new RIP9 frames set up as an all mountain machine.
    Send me one today ...

Rainman.
    If that's the case, I would love to test the new JET9 as an xc flyer in the midwest!
    I swear I will send it back

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Now boys
    we all know New England is the proper place to test a Rip,
    If you cant break it here, you cant break it

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    But I agree...That thing looks crazy cheap...I would however kill for a black Fox 120..I love Niner bikes alot but you couldn't give me one of these rip 9's...
    so says the guy who gushed over Nicolais which look like they were built out of spare parts from an erector set

Brett, the RIPs look great. The WFO you gave me last night looks (and rides) even better.

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

Team Sanchez
    I took a real close look at the WFO at Interbike. It's a nicely crafted machine, but I have one concern, for those wishing to run a Hammerschmidt. The Hammerschmidt bashring's diameter is so small, that the linkage on the WFO actually hangs lower, and is exposed. If one were to try to maneuver over a large log or rock, he would run the risk of hitting that lower linkage. If the WFO is on your wishlist, make sure to cross off the Hammerschmidt as a viable option.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

29ers Only.
    I've been running the hammerschmidt on the WFO 9 now for awhile, including full on DH runs, and I've never bashed the lower linkage on anything. Remember that when sitting on the bike, the lower linkage moves up toward the bottom bracket, so it's not as exposed as you might think. It's certainly possible to hit the lower linkage before the bashguard of the hammer, but it's a pretty solid, bombproof piece of the frame, and if you hit it, it'll move with the impact (same as the wheel when it hits a bump), so the likelyhood of causing any serious damage is slim to none.

Steve
    Niner Bikes

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes
    I've been running the hammerschmidt on the WFO 9 now for awhile, including full on DH runs, and I've never bashed the lower linkage on anything. Remember that when sitting on the bike, the lower linkage moves up toward the bottom bracket, so it's not as exposed as you might think. It's certainly possible to hit the lower linkage before the bashguard of the hammer, but it's a pretty solid, bombproof piece of the frame, and if you hit it, it'll move with the impact (same as the wheel when it hits a bump), so the likelyhood of causing any serious damage is slim to none.

Steve
    Niner Bikes
    Good to hear. My ride last night on your WFO was love at first sight. Sick bike.

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

Team Sanchez
    Good feedback Steve. Thanks for the quick followup.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

lookin' for a hill
    over the last few weeks, I have turned myself to the possibilty of switching to a big wheel. I've ridden the sparce 29er collection the shop I work at has, and like the feel of being 'inside' the bike rather than on top.
    Now seriously, in an area of the country where 29er's can be most beneficial, proven by the Lalonde brothers (Jesse and Marko) domination of the Wisconsin race scene, I see a great opportunity for market presence. Right now the shops around the midwest I have contacted only order niners, no stock, let alone demo. It would be nice to get a real test bike center and take these on an XC excursion where the one supposed 29er weakness of extended uphills, is eliminated. True 29er bliss, here in the heartland. Even if you sent one hardtail(air) and one FS(jet), the people could ride and truly understand the experience of a purposefully designed 29er; not just a 26 theory on a 29 reality.

I obviously say this because I would love to test one of your bikes, but If i travel somewhere to demo it, I will never afford to pay for it... you understand the dilemma?$$
    I would love to get some demos in the shop I work at, and let people order after experience, as we do with other high end bikes. It's a chicago shop, thats just how the mountain bike scene rolls around here.
    but really any shop in illinois or wisconsin would be great. I think you have a great opportunity here to take on the evil trek/GF presence in this neck of the woods and show how a 29er can really tear up the competition.
    Then again, If you want someone to travel the midwest races showing your bikes during the 2009 season, I am open to the opportunity as well. "Niner's in '09"

MTB B'dos
    Brett, thanks for uploading the pics, lloks like the redesign really was done right. I think the changes will definitely stiffen the RIP9 chasis up along with the hydro formed tubes Any times you guys want a lanky person who likes to do it all, to test out an XL you know how to get hold of me.

Dude, WTF are you on about, going UH is where a 29er shines who the hell have you been talking to

..................................... It would be nice to get a real test bike center and take these on an XC excursion where the one supposed 29er weakness of extended uphills, is eliminated. True 29er bliss, here in the heartland. ................................"
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

lookin' for a hill

Dude, WTF are you on about, going UH is where a 29er shines who the hell have you been talking to
    I'm not sure what UH is? My mind says Utah, but I know the abbreviation for that is UT. So, does that mean a 29er can only shine in UH? Then why are you riding one in Barbados? Sounds like you should go to the shop and talk to a man about a good ole' 26" bike. anyway, I was just thinking it would be nice to test one of these bikes where I would be riding it, when long climbs are not a factor I need consider, nor contend with. But thanks for reminding me, UH is definitely on my list of places I would like to ride.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    I'm not sure what UH is? My mind says Utah, but I know the abbreviation for that is UT. So, does that mean a 29er can only shine in UH? Then why are you riding one in Barbados? Sounds like you should go to the shop and talk to a man about a good ole' 26" bike. anyway, I was just thinking it would be nice to test one of these bikes where I would be riding it, when long climbs are not a factor I need consider, nor contend with. But thanks for reminding me, UH is definitely on my list of places I would like to ride.
    UH= UpHill

lookin' for a hill
    Ha. I Knew I was missing something. Anyway, the discussion of climbing 29vs26 is another thread.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Ha. I Knew I was missing something. Anyway, the discussion of climbing 29vs26 is another thread.
    Ha=Hawaii?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No geo changes on the RIP, I assume. I like the WFO geo but don't need/want 5.5" of travel...would be nice to get a slightly slacker HA but with 4.5" of travel. Slightly shorter chainstays would not bother me.

Overall, these are some solid improvements for the RIP.

lookin' for a hill
    ... if only, long sweet hawaiian singletrack.... UH and DH...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Sitting in my Livingroom....

Is an 09' RIP

- Presumably an Interbike demo & it sounds like it! Beaten & Hosed!
    I will give it some love tonight then flog it tomorrow....

- Steve, Chris or Brett : Any heads up on PSI in the rear shock for a 200 pounder all geared-up???
    And, are the Torque values the same as OG RIP's - 70 in. pounds???

Thanks!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT

- Steve, Chris or Brett : Any heads up on PSI in the rear shock for a 200 pounder all geared-up???
    And, are the Torque values the same as OG RIP's - 70 in. pounds???

Thanks!
    Yes on the Torque values.

At 200, I'd start off at 150 rear / 95 up fron in the Fox.

Have fun!

Brett

Moderator Moderator
    Right now the shops around the midwest I have contacted only order niners, no stock, let alone demo. It would be nice to get a real test bike center and take these on an XC excursion where the one supposed 29er weakness of extended uphills, is eliminated.

I would love to get some demos in the shop I work at, and let people order after experience, as we do with other high end bikes. It's a chicago shop, thats just how the mountain bike scene rolls around here.
    Nik,

As the sales guy here, I get a lot of these calls and emails, I feel your frustration. The shops that sell Niner Bikes really well have made a commitment and stepped up to offer a range of demo bikes. The shops who sell out of our catalog, don't stock or have demo bikes will sell just a few frames a year. It's typically the smaller shop where the store owner or manager is intimately involved with the business and "gets it" rather than the bigger stores which are pressured by (insert big name manufacturers here) to sell more of their complete bikes. All it really takes is a demo bike or two to get the momentum rolling. Email me if you'd like some more info, I can probably help.

Cheers,

Brett
    Niner Bikes

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Thanks for the help Brett!

- Can't wait for tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Brett have you guys ever seriously considered a demo program yourself. competitvecyclist has a pretty good setup where they ship a bike to you for a fee and if you end up buying it some of your demo costs are applied to the purchase..........I would pay 100-200 bucks to demo a rip 9 knowing if i bought it a good part of that demo fee would apply to my purchase.

MTB B'dos
    Hey Brett, just recieved the Niner news update and notice a little somethign that made me smile quite a lot. Either I haven't been paying close enough attention or this has not been mentioned, but is something I had asked for/about and think is fantastic that it has been implemented (unless of course this was some typo)

Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes News Letter
    >> NEW R.I.P. 9 FEATURES:

· 70% stiffer tapered headtube - tapered forks available from Fox and Marzocchi and we have verbal agreements from Rock Shox that they will be making a tapered fork, too! Marzocchi option is a 100-140mm travel fork recently developed by Marzocchi with input from Niner. The improved ride quality of the tapered headtube is so noticable that we believe that other 29er makers will quickly follow suit and that this will become an industry standard.

· 55% stiffer bottom bracket

· 80% stiffer rear end

· Replacable dropouts available to work with quick release,
    12 millimeter thru axle, Maxel or Rohloff hub options.

· Hydroformed top and downtube

· Forged links and dropouts: top link is now one piece instead
    of 7 and lower link is now one piece instead of 7. Simpler
    systems are the most reliable.

· Alloy hardware replaces steel axles

· New larger pivot bearings move easier under full compression

· Pivot bearings moved to outboard position to handle loads

· Due Jan-Feb 2009 - contact your nearest Niner Dealer to
    pre-order yours now!

· Pricing $1,799 includes headset, Fox RP 23 shock
    To NikWasHere...........no this is not the only place that 29ers shine, but it is the biggest area to me that they do. I truly was amazed at how much easier it was to climb a whole lot of varied terrain climbs, even on just a pair of WTB Nanos. I have found that the 29ers improve the way a bike rides doing everything. I may be a slow school type guy, but I must say I find the steering on the RIP9 to be quite fast enough for me, any faster and I would feel quite uncomfortable on descents of any kind.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

lookin' for a hill
    lynx, thanks for the input on climbing on a 29er. it's good to hear someone who thinks the bigger bike can do everything as well if not better than the 26er. I guess my original reference was to the fact that people thought climbing was sluggish usually due to the heavier wheelsets on the first run 29ers years back. I assume you have a good lightweight set of wheels, and am glad to hear that this fixes the problem. I rode the local trail yesterday and around every tree thought, how much nicer this might be on a 29er... fun none the less!

On MTBR hiatus :(

· Replacable dropouts available to work with quick release,
    12 millimeter thru axle, Maxel or Rohloff hub options.

That's pretty gosh darn nifty!
    speedub.nate
    · MTBR Hiatus UFN ·

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast