Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Moderator Moderator

New RIP9 colors - updated with detailed linkage shots

Hi Guys,

I've gotten a lot of email requests to see the next generation RIP9 colors. Here is the licorice ano (black ano), Moondust Grey, and Milk Dud Ano (brown ano).

Cheers,

Brett
    Niner Bikes
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 2melow; 10-15-2008 at 11:09 PM.
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    your killing me!!!

Thanks for the photos. Colorways look really nice but seriously. No more photos until it is available!!!!! I dont want to see it unless it is under me!!!!

Saucy Size
    No pink? Hot ano pink, baby.

Man that brown looks nice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I am digging the black one..............the new changes may just be the data i needed to go ahead and commit to a rip........the video from interbike was very helpful, the ability to buy frame and fork also is a good idea to me, but one question is does the frame/fork combo come with the headset already pressed into headtube and fork crown ???

MTB B'dos
    Ah stop teasing Brett I'm very glad to see the Ano Black, always thought it'd look super nice Would have been nice if you guys could have found a Ano Blue similar to the original Atomic Blue - really do love the colour. Looking forward to seeing one of these in another year not looking forward to the years wait
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

On MTBR hiatus :(
    You're killing me!

The Milk Dud is perfec't to hide the dus't. Yummy. Unfortunately, I have no excuse to replace my "classic" RIP9.

My what?
    speedub.nate
    · MTBR Hiatus UFN ·

mtbr member
    WOW what a great looking buch of bikes.
    I need to make more money to buy all the bikes I want,need, and want.

Moderator Moderator
    Here are some complete bike shots. Thanks to Brian for taking these pics!

Brett
    Niner Bikes

I Shot a Man In Reno
    What sizes are these, were I to guess...black=XL, moondust/milkdud are L.

Steve

Moderator Moderator
    Correct!

lookin' for a hill
    how about black with black linkages?
    also, any wild colors like the atomic blue, kermit, or tang?
    what about the Jet colors for 09.

I have been sitting around the bike shop, and thinking "a Niner in '09". I just wish our shop carried your bikes. The only way I have seen it as a possibility is through QBP and the dreamcycle builder - though our shop doesn't seem to participate in that.

MTB B'dos
    How about some proper close ups of the tubing so we can really see the hydro form properly? Also some general close ups of the new linkages and design to really see what has been changed in the rockers and how they bolt onto the triangles?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    How about pictures of an EMD in new moondust grey ?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    How about some proper close ups of the tubing so we can really see the hydro form properly? Also some general close ups of the new linkages and design to really see what has been changed in the rockers and how they bolt onto the triangles?

Lyncoln,

Let me upload some for you. There are so many changes with this new RIP9 it deserves some detailed pics.

Brett

Reviewer/Tester
    Ohh, that black RIP is yummy... Stealth...yeah..

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

welds look tacky

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

I'm really sorry to say this and hope it looks better in person but that metal brace at the head tube looks like a kid in 9 th grade metal shop cut it and put it in there. Does it cost more this year than last?

mtbr member

Sorry to say,

Quote Originally Posted by cottonball
    I'm really sorry to say this and hope it looks better in person but that metal brace at the head tube looks like a kid in 9 th grade metal shop cut it and put it in there. Does it cost more this year than last?
    But I agree...That thing looks crazy cheap...I would however kill for a black Fox 120..I love Niner bikes alot but you couldn't give me one of these rip 9's...

lookin' for a hill
    definitely not Cannondale welds...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nikwashere
    definitely not Cannondale welds...
    they don't look that much different............aren't big beefy welds stronger ??

I'll take strength/stiffness over aesthetics any day !!!

Moderator Moderator

The Beef

Hey Guys,

Here are some pics of the super beefy linkages, hydroformed tubes, 1.5 to 1.25 tapered headtube, and a good shot of the lower hydroformed tube which joins the lower linkage. Some of these shots also show an example of all the forgings we used on this next generation RIP9 (10 total).

The 1.5 headtube/hydroformed top tube/down tube allows us to create a HUGE surface area to weld big burly tubes. This combination produces unmatched stiffness compared to frames in its class utilizing traditional straight/butted tubes. The hydroformed lower portion of our down tube forms into a "box section" or square shape which puts up huge stiffness numbers compared to a standard butted round tube as well.

Also, the forged linkages top and bottom are now 1 piece each. The first generation RIP9 used 7 pieces top and bottom for each linkage. Lots of development went into this next generation, and we hope you can throw your leg over this machine to see for yourself! A lot of new technology went into this new frame nobody else is utilizing in 29er frame development, and I'd encourage you to compare it to any other trail bike in it's class which costs $500+ more.

Cheers,

Brett
    Niner Bikes
    Last edited by 2melow; 10-15-2008 at 11:17 PM.

lookin' for a hill
    those are some nice linkages. the welds look better in these pics, and usually I would pick strength over aesthetics, it's just they are such cool frames, and as an artist I value the "roll of nickels" welds that seasoned pros achieve precisely. In the pics with the grey and milk dud, the welds gave the otherwise smooth line of the frame a frankenstein-like appearance.

But enough with the RIP, when do we get the spread of the new Jet Vanna White?

Lone Wolf McQuade
    any wild colors like the atomic blue, kermit, or tang?
    Are any of these colors available on the RIP?
    I should be out riding....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beagledadi
    Are any of these colors available on the RIP?
    No. The colors you see are the colors the RIP will be available in. Hence the title of the tread "New RIP9 colors ......"

Supersonic Garfield
    Hi,

will the linkages be compatible with older models?

T

Reviewer/Tester

Good job!

Those improvements look really strong. I would love to test one of those new RIP9 frames set up as an all mountain machine. A black stealth bomber with Gordo rims and chunky tires ... sounds just like my cup of tea...

Send me one today ...

Thanks,

Rainman.
    It is inevitable ...

AOK
    mtbr member
    Is that a internal/integrated headset, or is it just a funky angle on the HT picture?

lookin' for a hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    I would love to test one of those new RIP9 frames set up as an all mountain machine.
    Send me one today ...

Rainman.
    If that's the case, I would love to test the new JET9 as an xc flyer in the midwest!
    I swear I will send it back

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Now boys
    we all know New England is the proper place to test a Rip,
    If you cant break it here, you cant break it

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    But I agree...That thing looks crazy cheap...I would however kill for a black Fox 120..I love Niner bikes alot but you couldn't give me one of these rip 9's...
    so says the guy who gushed over Nicolais which look like they were built out of spare parts from an erector set

Brett, the RIPs look great. The WFO you gave me last night looks (and rides) even better.

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

Team Sanchez
    I took a real close look at the WFO at Interbike. It's a nicely crafted machine, but I have one concern, for those wishing to run a Hammerschmidt. The Hammerschmidt bashring's diameter is so small, that the linkage on the WFO actually hangs lower, and is exposed. If one were to try to maneuver over a large log or rock, he would run the risk of hitting that lower linkage. If the WFO is on your wishlist, make sure to cross off the Hammerschmidt as a viable option.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member
    I've been running the hammerschmidt on the WFO 9 now for awhile, including full on DH runs, and I've never bashed the lower linkage on anything. Remember that when sitting on the bike, the lower linkage moves up toward the bottom bracket, so it's not as exposed as you might think. It's certainly possible to hit the lower linkage before the bashguard of the hammer, but it's a pretty solid, bombproof piece of the frame, and if you hit it, it'll move with the impact (same as the wheel when it hits a bump), so the likelyhood of causing any serious damage is slim to none.

Steve
    Niner Bikes

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes
    I've been running the hammerschmidt on the WFO 9 now for awhile, including full on DH runs, and I've never bashed the lower linkage on anything. Remember that when sitting on the bike, the lower linkage moves up toward the bottom bracket, so it's not as exposed as you might think. It's certainly possible to hit the lower linkage before the bashguard of the hammer, but it's a pretty solid, bombproof piece of the frame, and if you hit it, it'll move with the impact (same as the wheel when it hits a bump), so the likelyhood of causing any serious damage is slim to none.

Steve
    Niner Bikes
    Good to hear. My ride last night on your WFO was love at first sight. Sick bike.

― Albert Einstein

Team Sanchez
    Good feedback Steve. Thanks for the quick followup.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

lookin' for a hill
    over the last few weeks, I have turned myself to the possibilty of switching to a big wheel. I've ridden the sparce 29er collection the shop I work at has, and like the feel of being 'inside' the bike rather than on top.
    Now seriously, in an area of the country where 29er's can be most beneficial, proven by the Lalonde brothers (Jesse and Marko) domination of the Wisconsin race scene, I see a great opportunity for market presence. Right now the shops around the midwest I have contacted only order niners, no stock, let alone demo. It would be nice to get a real test bike center and take these on an XC excursion where the one supposed 29er weakness of extended uphills, is eliminated. True 29er bliss, here in the heartland. Even if you sent one hardtail(air) and one FS(jet), the people could ride and truly understand the experience of a purposefully designed 29er; not just a 26 theory on a 29 reality.

I obviously say this because I would love to test one of your bikes, but If i travel somewhere to demo it, I will never afford to pay for it... you understand the dilemma?$$
    I would love to get some demos in the shop I work at, and let people order after experience, as we do with other high end bikes. It's a chicago shop, thats just how the mountain bike scene rolls around here.
    but really any shop in illinois or wisconsin would be great. I think you have a great opportunity here to take on the evil trek/GF presence in this neck of the woods and show how a 29er can really tear up the competition.
    Then again, If you want someone to travel the midwest races showing your bikes during the 2009 season, I am open to the opportunity as well. "Niner's in '09"

MTB B'dos
    Brett, thanks for uploading the pics, lloks like the redesign really was done right. I think the changes will definitely stiffen the RIP9 chasis up along with the hydro formed tubes Any times you guys want a lanky person who likes to do it all, to test out an XL you know how to get hold of me.

Dude, WTF are you on about, going UH is where a 29er shines who the hell have you been talking to

..................................... It would be nice to get a real test bike center and take these on an XC excursion where the one supposed 29er weakness of extended uphills, is eliminated. True 29er bliss, here in the heartland. ................................"

lookin' for a hill

Dude, WTF are you on about, going UH is where a 29er shines who the hell have you been talking to
    I'm not sure what UH is? My mind says Utah, but I know the abbreviation for that is UT. So, does that mean a 29er can only shine in UH? Then why are you riding one in Barbados? Sounds like you should go to the shop and talk to a man about a good ole' 26" bike. anyway, I was just thinking it would be nice to test one of these bikes where I would be riding it, when long climbs are not a factor I need consider, nor contend with. But thanks for reminding me, UH is definitely on my list of places I would like to ride.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    I'm not sure what UH is? My mind says Utah, but I know the abbreviation for that is UT. So, does that mean a 29er can only shine in UH? Then why are you riding one in Barbados? Sounds like you should go to the shop and talk to a man about a good ole' 26" bike. anyway, I was just thinking it would be nice to test one of these bikes where I would be riding it, when long climbs are not a factor I need consider, nor contend with. But thanks for reminding me, UH is definitely on my list of places I would like to ride.
    UH= UpHill

lookin' for a hill
    Ha. I Knew I was missing something. Anyway, the discussion of climbing 29vs26 is another thread.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Ha. I Knew I was missing something. Anyway, the discussion of climbing 29vs26 is another thread.
    Ha=Hawaii?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No geo changes on the RIP, I assume. I like the WFO geo but don't need/want 5.5" of travel...would be nice to get a slightly slacker HA but with 4.5" of travel. Slightly shorter chainstays would not bother me.

Overall, these are some solid improvements for the RIP.

lookin' for a hill
    ... if only, long sweet hawaiian singletrack.... UH and DH...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Sitting in my Livingroom....

Is an 09' RIP

- Presumably an Interbike demo & it sounds like it! Beaten & Hosed!
    I will give it some love tonight then flog it tomorrow....

- Steve, Chris or Brett : Any heads up on PSI in the rear shock for a 200 pounder all geared-up???
    And, are the Torque values the same as OG RIP's - 70 in. pounds???

Thanks!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT

- Steve, Chris or Brett : Any heads up on PSI in the rear shock for a 200 pounder all geared-up???
    And, are the Torque values the same as OG RIP's - 70 in. pounds???

Thanks!
    Yes on the Torque values.

At 200, I'd start off at 150 rear / 95 up fron in the Fox.

Have fun!

Brett

Moderator Moderator
    Right now the shops around the midwest I have contacted only order niners, no stock, let alone demo. It would be nice to get a real test bike center and take these on an XC excursion where the one supposed 29er weakness of extended uphills, is eliminated.

I would love to get some demos in the shop I work at, and let people order after experience, as we do with other high end bikes. It's a chicago shop, thats just how the mountain bike scene rolls around here.
    Nik,

As the sales guy here, I get a lot of these calls and emails, I feel your frustration. The shops that sell Niner Bikes really well have made a commitment and stepped up to offer a range of demo bikes. The shops who sell out of our catalog, don't stock or have demo bikes will sell just a few frames a year. It's typically the smaller shop where the store owner or manager is intimately involved with the business and "gets it" rather than the bigger stores which are pressured by (insert big name manufacturers here) to sell more of their complete bikes. All it really takes is a demo bike or two to get the momentum rolling. Email me if you'd like some more info, I can probably help.

Cheers,

Brett
    Niner Bikes

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Thanks for the help Brett!

- Can't wait for tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Brett have you guys ever seriously considered a demo program yourself. competitvecyclist has a pretty good setup where they ship a bike to you for a fee and if you end up buying it some of your demo costs are applied to the purchase..........I would pay 100-200 bucks to demo a rip 9 knowing if i bought it a good part of that demo fee would apply to my purchase.

MTB B'dos
    Hey Brett, just recieved the Niner news update and notice a little somethign that made me smile quite a lot. Either I haven't been paying close enough attention or this has not been mentioned, but is something I had asked for/about and think is fantastic that it has been implemented (unless of course this was some typo)

Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes News Letter
    >> NEW R.I.P. 9 FEATURES:

· 70% stiffer tapered headtube - tapered forks available from Fox and Marzocchi and we have verbal agreements from Rock Shox that they will be making a tapered fork, too! Marzocchi option is a 100-140mm travel fork recently developed by Marzocchi with input from Niner. The improved ride quality of the tapered headtube is so noticable that we believe that other 29er makers will quickly follow suit and that this will become an industry standard.

· 55% stiffer bottom bracket

· 80% stiffer rear end

· Replacable dropouts available to work with quick release,
    12 millimeter thru axle, Maxel or Rohloff hub options.

· Hydroformed top and downtube

· Forged links and dropouts: top link is now one piece instead
    of 7 and lower link is now one piece instead of 7. Simpler
    systems are the most reliable.

· Alloy hardware replaces steel axles

· New larger pivot bearings move easier under full compression

· Pivot bearings moved to outboard position to handle loads

· Due Jan-Feb 2009 - contact your nearest Niner Dealer to
    pre-order yours now!

· Pricing $1,799 includes headset, Fox RP 23 shock
    To NikWasHere...........no this is not the only place that 29ers shine, but it is the biggest area to me that they do. I truly was amazed at how much easier it was to climb a whole lot of varied terrain climbs, even on just a pair of WTB Nanos. I have found that the 29ers improve the way a bike rides doing everything. I may be a slow school type guy, but I must say I find the steering on the RIP9 to be quite fast enough for me, any faster and I would feel quite uncomfortable on descents of any kind.

lookin' for a hill
    lynx, thanks for the input on climbing on a 29er. it's good to hear someone who thinks the bigger bike can do everything as well if not better than the 26er. I guess my original reference was to the fact that people thought climbing was sluggish usually due to the heavier wheelsets on the first run 29ers years back. I assume you have a good lightweight set of wheels, and am glad to hear that this fixes the problem. I rode the local trail yesterday and around every tree thought, how much nicer this might be on a 29er... fun none the less!

· Replacable dropouts available to work with quick release,
    12 millimeter thru axle, Maxel or Rohloff hub options.

That's pretty gosh darn nifty!
    speedub.nate
    · MTBR Hiatus UFN ·

Moderator Moderator
    Yes, it requires one of our online partners to help us pioneer this type of program. We're working on a few things for 2009, we'll keep you posted.

Brett
    Niner Bikes

Pardner UP!

You send me a sample to work with, and I'll get you your dropout.
    speedub.nate
    · MTBR Hiatus UFN ·

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm torn on the new colors. I'm sad to see the atomic blue go. It is such an awesome color. I'm glad that my 08 now a little more rare, though.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Great stuff. Verrrrrry sexy. Will these be the new WFO color choices too?
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005

Niner guys

is the fox fork the only one that will work with the tapered headtube?

mtbr member
    DanO,

The frame will work with any 1 1/8" steerer fork. The frame will come with a reducer for the lower if you choose not to use one of the new tapered forks.

Chris
    Niner Bikes

NMBP

To Niner Guys:

Hey guys,

I ordered a new RIP, and can't wait to get it! I got a chance to ride one and fell in love with it. (Your newest Ohio dealer got an XL in for me to demo. Sadly, they had to send it back). So are there any pics of the re-designed top tubes (without the brace)?

Regards,

Gary
    Last edited by gfs69; 12-24-2008 at 04:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    To Niner guys
    I will be getting a Niner FS next year, I would prefer the RIP9 over the WFO (but a tough decision, believe me) I am bigger guy and ride pretty aggressivly and am wondering if their will be any coil options for the RIP9? SHould I wait for the WFO? I just have not had the best of luck with rear air. Thanks
    Mike

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

fox vanilla R

I am in the process of building a RIP 9 with a pushed fox vanilla r coil rear shock with a titanium spring. It is on it's way back from push right now. It will fit but you have to make sure it is a 7.875x2 inch shock otherwise it won't work. I will also be running an e13 LG1 chainguide with a 1x9 drivetrain which I haven't seen any of on the forums yet so i'll post pictures as soon as i'm done. It's going to be a super d racing machine!

Supersonic Garfield
    Hi,

I did the same thing. Ti springs for the old vanilla-series is hard to find, but I scored a 450lbs spring, and it weights as little as 211 grams!

I got it pushed at Tim Flooks in England, and also have a pushed RP23 (from Push in CO) with the large air canister. The coil uses less travel on smaller bumps (holds up better in the middle of its stroke) making it ride a bit higher, less pedal strikes etc. I think the Pushed RP23 feels like it has a bit more travel, and at the moment I prefer the feel of the air shock. It's the first bike where I prefer the air-version and I have ridden a ton of different bikes with both options.

The coil pedals just as well as the air shock, a great testament to the CVA suspension system as well as Push.

the Coil rules the bigger hits.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    That thing looks sweet!

Mine will look very similar to that since it's the same size and color.

How does it handle aggressive trail riding with the coil shock? I am hoping it will still pedal well with the push valving but I want the extra small bump compliance of the coil shock. I have a White bros. fluid 135 on the front so it should match up well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by capslayer
    I am in the process of building a RIP 9 with a pushed fox vanilla r coil rear shock with a titanium spring. It is on it's way back from push right now. It will fit but you have to make sure it is a 7.875x2 inch shock otherwise it won't work. I will also be running an e13 LG1 chainguide with a 1x9 drivetrain which I haven't seen any of on the forums yet so i'll post pictures as soon as i'm done. It's going to be a super d racing machine!
    great to know! thanks and if you could post pics that would be great.

Supersonic Garfield
    Quote Originally Posted by capslayer
    That thing looks sweet!

Mine will look very similar to that since it's the same size and color.

How does it handle aggressive trail riding with the coil shock? I am hoping it will still pedal well with the push valving but I want the extra small bump compliance of the coil shock. I have a White bros. fluid 135 on the front so it should match up well.
    it handles really well, although the suspension seems a bit anonymous with the coil. Just solid and understated. I thought it would be more plush than the air in the beginning of the stroke, but I can't feel much difference. On bikes like the spot, el saltamontes etc the difference is really there - but not so much here.

The coil is really nice on technical climbs, as it doesn't sit as low in the travel when your weight is distributed to the rear.

It comes down to setup though. I am running 30% sag on the coil with 1.5 turns of preload.

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

New RIP frame design?

I found this pic of the RIP on the "Wrench Science" site.

Maybe this is the new solution the head tube gussets no one seems so fond of.

NMBP
    Looks good! Looks like they substituted Raw for Moondust. I ordered a Licorice Ano, but the raw is intriguing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMJ
    I found this pic of the RIP on the "Wrench Science" site.

Maybe this is the new solution the head tube gussets no one seems so fond of.
    I like the TT curve onto the ST, and the other end where the gussets were is much better than it was

Shame the loyal (=buying) fans always find out in this sort of way

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Yup.

Not too much else to tell you there. This is the newly redesigned, shaped, and tested top tube for the Rip for 2009. The others were pre-production models. We just got this one in and did a little photo shoot. That one is a medium frame.

Nice looking huh?

Brian
    ---------------------------------

MTB B'dos
    I think what he meant was this is THE Dedicated Niner Forum and the way we find out about most stuff is because someone was browsing somewhere else on the web and saw it. Bit of a let down and shame that this isn't the first place new stuff is posted, where your loyal customers regularly browse.

The Bolded quote should have been the title of YOUR thread introducing the final version of the new RIP9.

Oh and I know I won't need to come back here and edit this post, if I do it will be a holy miracle, but...........any chance the web site has even been updated with the newer model RIP9 yet? You know the '08 even AND any chance you don't have to have flash installed to view any part of the site, you know like coded with good old HTML? Seriously, unless flash somehow enhances the viewing experience in a positive way it shouldn't be used and I see nothing on the Niner site that needs flash to work.

edit - Nope no need for me to come and edit my post, same old '07 RIP9 images featured and same old, boring a$$, flash up the wazoo site

Quote Originally Posted by bpierro
    Not too much else to tell you there. This is the newly redesigned, shaped, and tested top tube for the Rip for 2009. The others were pre-production models. We just got this one in and did a little photo shoot. That one is a medium frame.

Nice looking huh?

Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by BoneSetter

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

Niner on the horizon!

Quote Originally Posted by bonesetter2004
    I'm planning on jumping on board when the WFO hit the market! I'm always trolling.

I wonder if this is the same direction the WFO will go as well?

Supersonic Garfield
    Looks great! Who cares where the picture was posted first. Can't wait to get mine!

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Trond
    Looks great! Who cares where the picture was posted first. Can't wait to get mine!
    I'm with you! Except for those ugly welds. JUST KIDDING.

Moderator Moderator
    Hey Guys,

We just sent some images to our online partners, literally just had a photo shoot!

Brett

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Huh?

I'm sorry.

Seems a little bit harsh Lynx. Like Brett said we just got those frames, did a photo shoot including the photos for our dealers like the one you saw here, just got those photos back end of last week and got them ready for our dealers so they can start updating their sales sites. Why do you make it sound like we are hiding something from you or not sharing new info? We understand our website does not have a lot of new 2009 info on it yet and that is being taken care of.

Here is a pic of the complete bike from that shoot. We try our best to keep everyone informed here.

Enjoy.
    Brian

NMBP
    I'm sorry.

Seems a little bit harsh Lynx. Like Brett said we just got those frames, did a photo shoot including the photos for our dealers like the one you saw here, just got those photos back end of last week and got them ready for our dealers so they can start updating their sales sites. Why do you make it sound like we are hiding something from you or not sharing new info? We understand our website does not have a lot of new 2009 info on it yet and that is being taken care of.

Here is a pic of the complete bike from that shoot. We try our best to keep everyone informed here.

Enjoy.
    Brian

That is beautiful, just awesome! Now, please tell us they are coming in early!

MTB B'dos

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Harsh, not in the least

I don't think I was harsh at all, do you know how many Niners have been sold compliments of this site?? MTBR Niner forum should be on the same mailing list as all the other important places you send info and photos out to. Maybe I'm a bit picky or uptight some might say about this, but from my proffessional opinion I think not - I happen to do advertising and marketing for a living.

2009 products on the site, hell it wasn't even updated to show the new cable re-route for the last iteration of the Version 1 model to say you're a bit lapse is like saying that it's just a bit early for G.W.Bush to be leaving the White House Seriously on the trying to keep everyone informed, that's your job right Step up to it then. There's people out there who have already out money down for the new RIP9 only to then hear "Oh we decided to do some tweaks to the design, you'll see them when they come out". What if someone didn't like the changes and ended up not wanting it anymore? Guess you would say, well they can get their money back, but what about the months that have passed while they have been waiting, maybe without a bike because of it.

I'm sorry.

Enjoy.
    Brian

NMBP
    I would like to inform everyone of my new avatar. You saw it here first on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

I was serious.

I am sorry Lynx.

It did seem a bit harsh to me though. We are definitely all about letting you guys know about the new stuff. Like we said it really was just the fact that it was all done so recently we have not even had the chance to get any pic up here and it just so happened that Wrench Science, one of our dealers, updated their sales site and loaded up the new pic which was then found and loaded up here. I must say you guys are good. Its really cool to see so many people are excited about this bike. We are excited to get it out to you and get you guys riding on it. But by no means were we not planning on putting out a post here showing you and talking about it. Im sure Brett was probably drafting a post before the pic was posted even.

Like I said we are going to put out more info on the new Rip. We are also planning on dealing with updates to our web site which you pointed out to us was lacking of info.

We love the fact that you guys are anxious for information on the new bikes and check in here regularly. We promise to keep you all updated here in the Niner forum!

Brian

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Very nice avatar by the way gfs69! You did get it first. I didn't even have a chance to make mine..

NMBP
    Very nice avatar by the way gfs69! You did get it first. I didn't even have a chance to make mine..

Thanks, I was just waiting for a good pic to surface I will trade you if you have a shot of one in Licorice Ano!

TR
    Angry bunny
    I'm sorry.

Enjoy.
    Brian
    Glad I got a Jet
    That thing is hideous.
    Sorry, but I tell it like I see it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Smile Arrival Date?

I keep hearing March? Can someone define that. I have a trip to Gooseberry Planned for mid top late March and this is really the bike I want to take with me. I have a Jet 9, but I sold my old Rip 9 thinking these were coming in January, then date moved etc. So, is March, beginning, end, dealers will have them, just hitting the country in March, etc. Any help would be appreciateated.

Thanks Kids

MTB B'dos

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

If I read your intro post wrong or have gotten it turned around in my head as to what you do @ Niner and it really is all up to Brett for marketing, then I totally understand and I appologise as I couldn't even imagine what he is going through this soon after his loss.
    If by chance you need help Brett, feel free to ask - not what you'd call "busy" right now and this is something I'm kind of accustomed to doing.

I am sorry Lynx.

It did seem a bit harsh to me though. We are definitely all about letting you guys know about the new stuff. Like we said it really was just the fact that it was all done so recently we have not even had the chance to get any pic up here and it just so happened that Wrench Science, one of our dealers, updated their sales site and loaded up the new pic which was then found and loaded up here. I must say you guys are good. Its really cool to see so many people are excited about this bike. We are excited to get it out to you and get you guys riding on it. But by no means were we not planning on putting out a post here showing you and talking about it. Im sure Brett was probably drafting a post before the pic was posted even.

Like I said we are going to put out more info on the new Rip. We are also planning on dealing with updates to our web site which you pointed out to us was lacking of info.

We love the fact that you guys are anxious for information on the new bikes and check in here regularly. We promise to keep you all updated here in the Niner forum!

Brian
    Last edited by LyNx; 01-13-2009 at 05:56 AM.

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"
    Any prices on the full bike pictured?

Are you going to be using the new 15mm front axle?

Is the WFO using the same top tube design?

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by TR
    Glad I got a Jet
    That thing is hideous.
    Sorry, but I tell it like I see it.
    Hideous?
    To each his own. I love it myself.

singletrack lush
    Does the 09' Rip have the same rear end as the 09' Jet?

Bodhisattva
    I don't think I was harsh at all, do you know how many Niners have been sold compliments of this site?? MTBR Niner forum should be on the same mailing list as all the other important places you send info and photos out to. Maybe I'm a bit picky or uptight some might say about this, but from my proffessional opinion I think not - I happen to do advertising and marketing for a living.

2009 products on the site, hell it wasn't even updated to show the new cable re-route for the last iteration of the Version 1 model to say you're a bit lapse is like saying that it's just a bit early for G.W.Bush to be leaving the White House Seriously on the trying to keep everyone informed, that's your job right Step up to it then. There's people out there who have already out money down for the new RIP9 only to then hear "Oh we decided to do some tweaks to the design, you'll see them when they come out". What if someone didn't like the changes and ended up not wanting it anymore? Guess you would say, well they can get their money back, but what about the months that have passed while they have been waiting, maybe without a bike because of it.

Niner should obviously get LyNx's approval on everything before making any decisions

― Albert Einstein

Moderator Moderator
    marzz,

Do you mean rear bracing? If so, then yes. This is a pretty beefy hydroformed (square in profile) part which will be used on the RIP9, WFO9 and JET9. The rear ends themselves design wise are specific to each model.

Brett
    Niner Bikes

Moderator Moderator
    If I read your intro post wrong or have gotten it turned around in my head as to what you do @ Niner and it really is all up to Brett for marketing....[/I]
    Hey I'm the dealer sales guy! We all wear our marketing hats around here. I literally gave that pic to 2 of my dealers on Friday and have not had a change to post it here. So you guys are seeing this first.

Anyway, we hope all of you guys like the new design and thanks for patiently waiting. Those of you who have ridden this new RIP9 know just how beefy and stiff this new model is - and the new top tube not only reduces weight by 100 grams but increases lateral stiffness even further from a #'s standpoint to the proto's ridden at Interbike dirt demo.

Just 8 weeks or so and counting...just in time for the snow to have hopefully melted!

Brett
    Niner Bikes

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow
    Hey I'm the dealer sales guy! We all wear our marketing hats around here. I literally gave that pic to 2 of my dealers on Friday and have not had a change to post it here. So you guys are seeing this first.

Anyway, we hope all of you guys like the new design and thanks for patiently waiting. Those of you who have ridden this new RIP9 know just how beefy and stiff this new model is - and the new top tube not only reduces weight by 100 grams but increases lateral stiffness even further from a #'s standpoint to the proto's ridden at Interbike dirt demo.

Just 8 weeks or so and counting...just in time for the snow to have hopefully melted!

Brett
    Niner Bikes
    since this is a Niner Bikes forum, can you specifically request that certain users not be granted access?

MTB B'dos
    Well of course they should

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Niner should obviously get LyNx's approval on everything before making any decisions

Totally agree Fizzle, but never thought you'd be such a guy as to personally ask that you be banned from somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Fizzle
    since this is a Niner Bikes forum, can you specifically request that certain users not be granted access?

banned
    Sep 2007
    OK guys, you can thank me or shoot me now, but I made a few emails and phone calls yesterday to The Men... and played some serious phone tag with Brian, Brett, maybe even Steve or Chris about demo'ing a RIP 9 in XL.

As some of you know, if I've Pm'ed you lately, I'm considering going to RIP'd Dark Side. I was trying to get a demo lined up, and it was just chance that Niner is so close to me that it's a local phone call to one of the headquarters in North Hollywood.

So I was talking to Brian, and I did mention this thread and the pics I saw here of the new 2009 RIPper's on the Science website. Anyways, that opened either a can or worms or a can of Whoopasz over there at the Niners facility, and now we either have a mess or a b*cthen buzz going about the new Niners we are about to have options on.

Hey, I'm of the opinion that controversy, positive and negative press is all good... it keeps peoples minds on your product and interested.

To Brian and Brett... I'm being patient, but damnit, the snow has already melted here in So Cal, and my feet are getting itchy for some fresh Niner Stoke, if you know what I mean?

There's a date on this pic, it's the last time I rode in the snow, here, it was gone and melted the next day.

BTW, that Atomic Blue is my favorite color, FWIW. It simply rocks.

c
    Last edited by Boyonabyke; 01-13-2009 at 04:15 PM.

Saucy Size
    What snow?

p.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    How about a couple vanity-shots of the "Raw" finish RIPper???

- If this is going to happen I will change my order.

singletrack lush
    marzz,

Do you mean rear bracing? If so, then yes. This is a pretty beefy hydroformed (square in profile) part which will be used on the RIP9, WFO9 and JET9. The rear ends themselves design wise are specific to each model.

Brett
    Niner Bikes
    Actually I was curious about the whole rear end assembly. I noticed that the bracing looked the same but is the tubing also the same for Rip and Jet as far as thickness and profile. Could you swap rear ends between the two frames?

MTB B'dos
    Guess I won't be seeing a new RIP9 complete build for a while Just priced one out at Wrench Science and it came in arouond a decent weight (stupid calculator wouldn't allow no tubes) so a 1/2lb lighter than it states, with what I call a "Smart minded Budget Build", at least it used to be.

Bike Parts: Model:

Frame - Niner R.I.P. 9 Licorice Ano 22.00 25.25 Disc - 5.13lbs

Fork - Fox OEM F129 120 RLC Black 9mm 120-120mm - 1820.00g

F Brake - Hope Mono-Mini | Black/Silver | 183.00 - 355.00g

R Brake - Hope Mono-Mini | Black/Silver | 160.00 - 325.00g

Shifter - Shimano XT Pods SL-M770 - 260.00g

Crank - Shimano XT Aluminum 180.00 22-32-44 - 850.00g

F Derailleur - Shimano XT-M771 Bottom Swing - 155.00g

Cassette - Shimano XT M770 | Steel | 11-34 - 297.00g

R Derailleur - Shimano XT M770 Rapid Rise | L - 239.00g

Chain - Shimano XTR 7701 - 304.00g

Wheelset - Stans ZTR Flow 29er/WTB Laser Disc Lite Disc - 1900.00g

Skewer Set - DT Swiss RWS Steel | Black | - 91.00g

Fr Tire - Continental Mountain King | Black | K | STD | 2.40 - 750.00g

R Tire - Continental Race King | Black | Kevlar | STD | 2.20 - 650.00g

F Tube - Butyl Presta 1.90-2.70 | 36.00mm - 120.00g

R Tube - Butyl Presta 1.90-2.70 | 36.00mm - 120.00g

Pedal - Shimano M770 | Silver/Black - 350.00g

Headset - Niner OEM INT for RIP 9 | Black - 125.00g

Stem - Thomson Elite X4 | Black | 120.00 | 0.00 - 165.00g

Handlebar - Easton EA70 Monkeybar Black Aluminum High Rise - 265.00g

Grip - Ergon GX2 Magnesium | Grey/Black - 120.00g

Seatpost - Thomson Elite Black 410mm - 235.00g

Saddle - WTB Pure V Pro | Black - 250.00g

Bike Weight 27.76lbs
    Bike Sub-Total: $4,596.64

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by marzz
    Actually I was curious about the whole rear end assembly. I noticed that the bracing looked the same but is the tubing also the same for Rip and Jet as far as thickness and profile. Could you swap rear ends between the two frames?
    - You quoted your answer.

NMBP

I think they have the weights listed incorrectly, the small is listed as 6.61lbs, while the XL is listed as 5.13 lbs. That sounded pretty light.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Has the height of the bottom bracket been changed on the 2009's, or will pedal strike still be an issue? What about 29'er 140mm forks? Will that add some pedal clearance? BTW, I created the Original Prototype 2009 RIP'd colors Avatar.
    Last edited by Boyonabyke; 01-14-2009 at 09:56 AM.

MTB B'dos

Hope Silly Wabbit

Saw that and thought it seemed rather light, how'd they manage to drop that much weight, didn't even think of checking the other sizes. Wondered how come a pretty much dupe build of my current RIP9 which comes in around 30lbs came in over a 1.5lb lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by gfs69

I think they have the weights listed incorrectly, the small is listed as 6.61lbs, while the XL is listed as 5.13 lbs. That sounded pretty light.

mtbr member
    I like the newer version to the older one. I like the square look to it.
    I bet its a better frame. The gusset isn't a problem. Do you look at these things when riding?? I sure dont. Again I bet its a better frame. Flex = Zero sort of thing....

Nice one Niner, its a killer looking bike
    If vegetarians eat vegetables, be careful of humanitariens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0