Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New RIP9

Loser

New RIP9

I got my new RIP9 on Thursday and built it up on Friday.

I put together a post in my blog that shows the process - though once again I didn't really take as many pictures of the build as I should have.

I'll put together some thoughts on the ride in a few - I've only been on one relatively short ride - it's great so far - like my 2010 RIP on steroids.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Nice pictures and write up on the blog, bike looks awesome. I like the seatbelt pic...lol

Sweet looking bike.

I just built up an Air 9 on Friday and posted in the 29er section My new 29er!.

Loser
    Nice looking bike!

mtbr member

New RIP9

Like!!

Loser
    I had the opportunity to really try the new RIP alloy out today - the trails we rode were tight, twisty and technical - not really any screaming down hills or anything, mostly pretty pedally type stuff.

Due to me not having a front derailleur (I ordered the wrong one), I didn't have much choice in my front ring selection, it defaulted to the granny after bouncing around on any bumpy downhills - lots of those, even if they were short. Due to the hills, it really wasn't that big of a deal, but its unusual for me to ride in granny on anything but the steepest hills, so I was deeper into the cassette than I would normally ride. Again, no big deal, but it was a bit different.

I'm not a numbers guy, I ride for the joy of riding - so shorter chainstay this, slacker headtube that, more travel - whatever I really don't take the time to make a decision based on numbers. I demo'ed this new RIP9 at NEMBA Fest a few weeks back and fell in love. When my 2010 broke literally the next week, I was crushed, but then so excited when Niner offered me up a new frame. If someone gave me the money for a new bike (money I definitely don't have right now) I would have bought this exact bike. Getting it as a warranty was like winning the lottery.

Anyway, I loved the bike at NEMBA Fest and today's ride just continued that great feeling. I would never had said my 2010 was flexy, but this new frame is much more solid feeling. I feel like 100% of the suspension is the suspension and not anything flexing back there. Its a bit weird to say that because I would have told you a few weeks ago that the 2010 was a very solid feeling bike, this one is even more solid feeling.

On the steepest climbs I had to concentrate a bit more on keeping the front wheel down - not a big deal, but definitely noticeable. In general it pedals as well or better than the 2010 - I didn't notice any bob at all, very efficient like I expect from the CVA.

I went from a medium with my 2010 to a large with this new frame - BTW SUPER nice of Niner to swap frame sizes in my experience with warranty replacement (I've done a few unfortunately) that is very unusual. I wasn't sure if I was going to notice the size difference in handling. I definitely feels like I need a shorter stem (the demo bike had a very short stem and the one I have is 70 or 80mm), but had no problems whipping the bike around and navigating the very tight trails today. I had a bit of reluctance to trust the bike, which is a bit weird, I'm not a super aggressive rider, but I did back off a few challenges, just not sure how the bike would handle it. Anything I attacked it did perfectly, so probably just a little "new bike syndrome", but perhaps that shorter stem would help with that.

It handled the tech stuff absolutely perfectly - as good or better than the 2010 - I probably need to work a bit more with the suspension set up, its not quite a plush as the 2010, but it was only the second ride, so I've still got a few more rides before I hit the sweet spot I suspect. For some reason that I can't explain I seemed to spend a lot more time with the seat all the way down pedaling standing up. Who knows if that is accurate though as I have no way of really keeping track.

So far so good, love the bike and so happy that Niner came through with a new frame, I suspect my next bike will be a Niner just based on this experience (and how much I love the way they ride).

Carbon & Ti rule
    It's good to see you are liking it so much, I have only ridden about 2 km on one of the new Rip9's & it wasn't setup for me, Even on that short ride it felt solid.

two wheel whore
    Congrats, give us a long term review once you log in some miles!

Loser
    how about ongoing commentary?

I did a ride last night with a fast group, this meant I was pushing my skill limits and doing so while red lined (which only tends to make you sloppier).

My old frame was a medium, this new one is a large (0.75" difference in top tube length). I moved my 100mm stem over onto the new frame. While I didn't jump on the bike and say "whoa" I did recognize that that extra length had to be messing with something.

I put a 70mm stem on before last night's ride. I instantly noticed it in the fast swoopy section we hit first - the bike felt great and it was like I was using a newly sharpened knife through the turns rather than the slightly dull one with the 100mm stem.

Next we came up on a very tight, turny technical section and the quicker steering created some issues, everything was happening way faster than I am used to, I hit my handlebars into so many trees I lost count. I had to concentrate on slowing my reaction times down and not oversteering. Near the end of the ride we rode through the most technical and twisty trail I know and I did great - I didn't hit my handlebars once, so I'm learning.

I hit a few jumps last night - this is maybe where I felt the biggest difference between this bike and my 2010 - the landings were smooth (like the 2010), but felt much more stable, in retrospect there was a little squirreliness with the old bike on landings - could be the 142 rear, or could just be brand new pivots, but this one is much more solid.

Love the bike so far, I think I solved my front derailleur issue (stupid mistake). Its a great bike, loving it more with every outing.

Loser
    Rode today at a place that is medium tech, but maximum fun - it has a lot of twists and turns with hills - really fun place where you can crank on the pedals and maintain really good speed throughout. I've haven't noticed an increase in pedal strikes with the new bike before today. We've had a pretty wet spring/summer so everything is growing like crazy so there is a decent amount of coverage over the trails. All that to say I hit my pedal on a hidden rock and launched me and the bike up in the air in a very awkward way. I landed headed full speed into the woods, luckily I missed a head on collision, but landed in a bad way hitting my shoulder on the way down. Whew that sucked.

I was determined to not let this ruin the ride and I continued on at pace, literally ten minutes later I did the same thing again! This time I landed on my knee. Ugh. At 49 years old, these kinds of crashes are no longer fun - were they ever?

Great ride, I love the bike still, but I'm going to have to watch these pedals. I haven't looked at the geo charts to see if the drop is the same. I guess it doesn't really matter, I'll get used to it one way or the other :-D

mtbr member
    How does the different shock feel compared to the Fox?

Curious, as I have an 2010 Rip, and am considering upgrading to a 2013. I'd assume they were very intentional to pair the shock and frame, and I'd like to know what feels different about it.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    Rode today at a place that is medium tech, but maximum fun - it has a lot of twists and turns with hills - really fun place where you can crank on the pedals and maintain really good speed throughout. I've haven't noticed an increase in pedal strikes with the new bike before today. We've had a pretty wet spring/summer so everything is growing like crazy so there is a decent amount of coverage over the trails. All that to say I hit my pedal on a hidden rock and launched me and the bike up in the air in a very awkward way. I landed headed full speed into the woods, luckily I missed a head on collision, but landed in a bad way hitting my shoulder on the way down. Whew that sucked.

I was determined to not let this ruin the ride and I continued on at pace, literally ten minutes later I did the same thing again! This time I landed on my knee. Ugh. At 49 years old, these kinds of crashes are no longer fun - were they ever?

Great ride, I love the bike still, but I'm going to have to watch these pedals. I haven't looked at the geo charts to see if the drop is the same. I guess it doesn't really matter, I'll get used to it one way or the other :-D
    Two pedals strikes on a ride when you hadn't experienced any previously would have me looking at the pressure in the rear suspension. Might be the shock has lost a little air, or could just be stuff breaking in and letting the bike sag a bit more than when you first got it, but its certainly worth checking the sag and perhaps bumping up the pressure a bit.

Loser
    Good idea, I'll check the pressure, it could be just bad luck, I've hit pedals before, just bad results this time.

The monarch works good, i had my Fox on the 2010 pushed, i would say the pushed Fox was a bit more plush.

mtbr member
    Jisch - I didn't see.. have you weighed it? I'm not big into weighing bikes, or worrying about weight, but was just curious where you're at.

Great looking bike, I'm really considering getting one...

Loser
    I haven't weighed it. I am curious though. I'll do it when I get home on Wednesday.

Loser
    A very old bathroom scale says 30lbs, I have no idea how accurate that is. I'm sure I could knock a pound or two off with lighter tires and a fixed seat post, but what's the fun in that?

Loser
    I'm babying my shoulder so no new rides to report, I'll try tomorrow and see how it feels.

The pressure in the rear shock is exactly where I left it -120PSI, when I first got the bike that was a bit under 25% sag, I weigh probably about 175lbs with my pack. I got on it today and the sag was over 30%. I went up to 150psi and now am back to a little under 25% sag.

I guess as the pivots loosened the sag increased. I'll keep an eye on it and report back if there is an issue, but I don't think there is.

Loser
    Had another great ride on the RIP yesterday. When lifting onto the rack after the ride I noticed a little play, just a bit of a bump as I lifted it. I checked it out when I got home, I found the headset a little loose - expected after a few rides.

I figured I found it, nope, still something going on. I went through the pivots and found 3 out of six of them loose - the main pivot was barely hand tight! I'll be honest, I didn't check them when building the bike (which I DEFINITELY should have). I'll keep an eye on them and report back if I have a loosening problem, but I'm not concerned right now.

NMBP
    So how about an update, it's been a while!

Loser
    Still running great - I've had to tighten the main pivot bolt twice now. I think its settling in. If I have to do it again I'll get the Loctite out, I don't like doing that. I've many great rides on the bike, it handles great. With my rose colored glasses on my shoulder is better than it was, but realistically I think there's something wrong inside. I need to get it checked out. If I stub my front wheel on a rock unexpectedly it hurts - although it hurts less and less often every ride (or so it seems). I should be pain free by now.

Sorry turned into a sob story, bike is great, you should get one.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    you should get one.
    Funny you should say that. After going back and forth and considering several other frames, I ordered a black one yesterday! Bummer about the shoulder, hope it heals quickly.

NMBP
    So with a few miles on it now, do you feel like the rear shock has broken in and gotten any more compliant?

mtbr member

New RIP9

And more pictures!!

Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by gfs69 View Post
    So with a few miles on it now, do you feel like the rear shock has broken in and gotten any more compliant?
    I was just thinking on last night's ride that it feels more compliant than it did, perhaps it takes a little while for everything to loosen up a bit.

NMBP
    Maybe a dumb question here, but is anyone running Shimano brakes with a 180mm rear rotor? It looks like it is post mount, and I can't seem to find the correct adapter to use for the rear. Maybe it is 160mm only?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Uses the same a front 180 adapter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast