Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

New Rip 9 Alloy vs Rip 9 RDO

I've been researching a new bike for almost 6 weeks now. I currently ride a 29er HT, Motobecane Pro. I live in Eastern PA and enjoy technical riding. I really enjoy the rolling of my 29 but I'm over 40 and a ride at Sals (btw, Niner rep won an event there this year on the Rip) leaves me walking funny. I'm about 5' 10" and 185lbs.

I've been reading about the differences of Alloy vs Carbon. What I haven't been able to find is a review from someone who has ridden both the new Alloy and the RDO Rip. There are several people here who have had the old Rip and upgraded to the new RDO, but isn't the new Rip different than the old?

Weight is really of no consequence between these two. I think it really comes down to ride quality. Is the carbon $1000 better?

I've been trying to get a demo ride but it's been very difficult. One LBS really felt strongly that the Jet was a better match for this area, but he rides a full ridged and loves it... so can that really count?

Can someone who has ridden the same bike in both Alloy and Carbon comment on the feel? I'm more interested in the Rip, but if you have experience on the Jet I'd be interested in that also.

Thanks.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I will write something up soon.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Hi,
    I have owned a 08 Jet9 alloy, 10 Jet9 alloy, 09 Rip9, 2012 Rip9, 12 Jet9 RDO, 13 Je9 RDO, Rip9 RDO & have ridden a new Rip9 Alloy.

In a no holds bared build the Rip9 RDO is a nicer bike.

Not so much because of the weight, But it feels stiffer & is more point & shoot & powering out of a corner, The bottom bracket feels stiffer & feels like all the power goes to the back wheel.

This is kind of nit picking because the New Rip9 still feels much sharper than the earlier Rip9 & most other bikes I have ridden.

Budget is a big part of what you should build, Having ridden many bikes & with many forks & wheels, This can change any bike quite a lot.

I really like the new Pike fork & would go for it as a must have, Even if buying that fork meant no longer being able to afford the Rip9 RDO frame.

Yes I feel that there is a greater difference between the New Pike 35 140mm fork & the Revelation 32 140mm fork than there is between the New Rip9 alloy frame & the Rip9 RDO.

Wheels, Well that is a subject in it's self.

The cheapest set of wheels I have for my bike is a set of Hope Hoops Arch EX wheels, So that's Hope Pro 2 evo hubs with Stan's No Tubes Arch EX rims.

They are an Ok wheel set, Not that stiff but not to bad either, They are about med weight, not heavy & not light & the hubs are strong, But the engagement is average 12deg.

The bike rides ok with these wheels, But nowhere near as sharp as with my best wheel set, I9 Torch Trail 32 Carbon,

So that's Industry Nine Torch hubs, Super strong hubs with 3 deg engagement , Nice alloy spokes & Reynolds Carbon rims.

These are quite light & yet very stiff wheels that hook up so well & make the bike feel really alive & supper point & shoot.

Now for the bikes.

I really liked the 09 Rip9, It Lifted my riding & made me much braver & faster, But it just felt a little heavy & not alive on the trail.

Then came the 2012 Jet9 RDO, Man I loved this bike.

It was just so alive on the trail, was quite Plush for a 100mm rear travel bike with it's High volume air can, It would just nail the 09 Rip9 on everything but the ruffest of tracks & the Rip9 was a little better off jumps than this bike ( Rip9 was a little more care free off jumps )

Then came the 2013 Jet9 RDO, This was a little stiffer bike with it's 142 x 12 rear end & a less plush & harder valve setting rear shock.

This was a very nice bike & a little more racy than the 2012 Jet9 RDO, were as the 2012 Jet9 RDO was a little more Rip9 ish.

IMO the 2013 Jet9 RDO was closer to what the Jet9 RDO should be, Not knocking the 2012 Jet9 RDO, I loved that bike.

It's just that if you wanted a race bike the 2013 Jet9 RDO would suit better, Were as if you didn't know if you should be on a Jet9 RDO or a Rip9, The 2012 Jet9 RDO with it's rear shock was a great mix of both bikes.

Then came the Rip9 RDO, A bike I had been begging for, long before the Jet9 RDO even came along.

But now I wanted a Rip9 RDO but I was used to the very alive & capable Jet9 RDO & was it going to be more capable & less alive ?

Well I love the Rip9 RDO, It has managed to say as alive as the Jet9 RDO's, More direct ( point & shoot ) better at steep jumps, The back end doesn't kick up as much when leaving a jump so it leaves jumps flatter & is less likely to come down front wheel 1st.

The Rip9 RDO with the same sort of build as the Jet9 RDO , really doesn't give up much if any in climbing.

With the Rip9 RDO the seat is approx. 15mm further back ( to the rear axle ) at my seat height than on the Jet9 RDO, So on very tight & steep switch backs the front wheel is harder to keep on the ground than the Jet9 RDO, Not a super big deal, but this is about the only place that the Rip9 RDO gives up to the Jet9 RDO.

That & on single track the Jet9 RDO may just feel just a little more alive but there is just so little in it.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by muzzanic; 08-16-2013 at 12:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for the detailed write up. I've been eyeing the new Rip 9 and Rip 9 RDO, possibly as a compliment to my 2012 Jet9 RDO. Thinking of doing an XX1 Rip9 RDO build (running 2x10 XO on the Jet9 RDO).

One other question - I've like the WhiteBros Loop on the Jet9 RDO, great small bump compliance and still able to take the big hits. How does the ride on the Rip9 RDO with the Pike compare?

Also, any rumors of a V2 Rip 9 RDO?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Hi

My wife has the Loop fork on her Jet9 RDO, 2 of my friends have them on there Rip9's & I ran 1 on my Jet9 RDO for a time, So I have a lot of miles on that fork.

The Loop is a nice stiff fork & it's Through Axle setup IMO is second to none.

It soaks up the bumps very well, But IMO it's not even in the same League as the Pike.

The Pike is quieter Smoother & stiffer & not by a little bit, Sure that is just my thoughts but Read what the people that have moved to the Pike & they are all saying how much better it is that what they were running.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuttermax View Post
    Thanks for the detailed write up. I've been eyeing the new Rip 9 and Rip 9 RDO, possibly as a compliment to my 2012 Jet9 RDO. Thinking of doing an XX1 Rip9 RDO build (running 2x10 XO on the Jet9 RDO).

One other question - I've like the WhiteBros Loop on the Jet9 RDO, great small bump compliance and still able to take the big hits. How does the ride on the Rip9 RDO with the Pike compare?

Also, any rumors of a V2 Rip 9 RDO?

mtbr member

Great stuff, Muzz. Reaffirms my alloy purchase.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '14 RIP 9
    '12 RIP 9
    '08 GF Ferrous 29
    '02 Trek 4300

mtbr member
    I actually just took a MTB trip with 4 guys.. we had in our arsenal - RIP9 RDO, 2013 RIP 9, 2012 JET9 RDO, and 2013 JET9 RDO.

I spent about 2 hours on each at minimum..

It all comes down to money.. how much do you have to spend?

Yeah, Muzz is right.. if you can get a RIP9 RDO w/ Pike, Carbon Wheels, XX1, Dropper Post, and other carbon goodies... there isn't much to compare..

But, if you don't have 8g's in your account right now, you may want to weigh this out a bit... here's my thoughts on them all.

First I rode my 2012 J9RDO.. XO, FOX Talas, Carbon wheels, KS dropper.. I've got it set up pretty nice.. love it, climbs awesome, flies down hill... great bike.

Next I rode the 2013 J9RDO, XO, FOX Talas, crap Easton wheels, Easton components... didn't think much different... could feel the flexy wheels under me, so the experience really wasn't great, though again, JET platform.. really nice, really fast, etc. I'm sure if it was set up like my 2012, it would be better, but in the real world, I'm not light years ahead of my 2012.

Next RIP9 RDO... XX1, FOX Talas, Flow EX, Thompson/Niner Carbon goodies. Completely different game.. just a flat out amazing bike.. didn't lose a ton on the climbs, though it was definitely different with the longer travel, slacker front.. I had to focus a little more on keeping the front down... but when I got to the top... hold on to your hats coming down.. just flawless!!

2013 RIP9.. XX1, Fox Float, Carbon Wheels, KS Dropper, Thompson/Carbon goodies. I'll be real honest here.. I really didn't feel a whole lot of difference in stiffness, weight, or anything. It did "Feel" different for sure, but it wasn't a bad different.. just different. It definitely sounded different, again, not bad, just different. I'll also say.. for me, Alloy just exudes confidence in me.. carbon is phenomenal.. but when I'm hitting rocks, drops, etc.. I push harder on alloy, because in the back of my mind, I'm working with metal, not carbon. I know Niner is great with their carbon, warranties are great, service is great... but nobody wants to break anything, and there's just a little doubt in the back of my mind when I'm taking a hit with a carbon bike... Alloy.. I'm have no concerns. I know they break too, but it's just a mental thing for me.

Now, let's get real for a second.. None of us need an 8k bike.. really, none of us do. Some of us have the privilege to afford such bikes, and I'm grateful to be one of those who has the opportunity. If I'm being completely realistic.. I'm not buying the RIP9RDO.

I'm saving that 1k, and putting it towards components... mainly the wheels. The New Alloy RIP9, with Carbon goodies is an amazing bike, and honestly, I don't think you're going to see so much difference that you won't regret going alloy, and upgrading other parts.

My ideal build currently:

RIP9
    Pike Fork (I have not ridden one, but many friends, Muzz, and reviews here are pretty much undeniable.)
    XX1 Drivetrain (I would have said XO1, but turns out that whole thing is a crock of crap.. I'll pay a couple hundred more for XX1)
    XT Brakes (XTR is not enough more, and the Shimano brakes kill it no matter what to me.)
    Carbon Wheels (Honestly, I don't care, Chinese Carbon laced to Chris King, Roval, I9 Torch.. pick your poison)
    Niner Trail Stem/Carbon Bars
    KS LEV Seatpost
    Whatever rubber you prefer (Grips, Seat, Tires)

That's my 2 pennies... RIP9RDO is king, but not necessary..

Carbon & Ti rule
    Well said & I agree.

Add to this that some people just couldn't bring them self to push as hard on a $8000 bike as they would on a $5000 so even if the $8000 bike was faster, They would be faster on the $5000 version of the same bike.

Quote Originally Posted by five5 View Post
    I actually just took a MTB trip with 4 guys.. we had in our arsenal - RIP9 RDO, 2013 RIP 9, 2012 JET9 RDO, and 2013 JET9 RDO.

I spent about 2 hours on each at minimum..

It all comes down to money.. how much do you have to spend?

Yeah, Muzz is right.. if you can get a RIP9 RDO w/ Pike, Carbon Wheels, XX1, Dropper Post, and other carbon goodies... there isn't much to compare..

But, if you don't have 8g's in your account right now, you may want to weigh this out a bit... here's my thoughts on them all.

First I rode my 2012 J9RDO.. XO, FOX Talas, Carbon wheels, KS dropper.. I've got it set up pretty nice.. love it, climbs awesome, flies down hill... great bike.

Next I rode the 2013 J9RDO, XO, FOX Talas, crap Easton wheels, Easton components... didn't think much different... could feel the flexy wheels under me, so the experience really wasn't great, though again, JET platform.. really nice, really fast, etc. I'm sure if it was set up like my 2012, it would be better, but in the real world, I'm not light years ahead of my 2012.

Next RIP9 RDO... XX1, FOX Talas, Flow EX, Thompson/Niner Carbon goodies. Completely different game.. just a flat out amazing bike.. didn't lose a ton on the climbs, though it was definitely different with the longer travel, slacker front.. I had to focus a little more on keeping the front down... but when I got to the top... hold on to your hats coming down.. just flawless!!

2013 RIP9.. XX1, Fox Float, Carbon Wheels, KS Dropper, Thompson/Carbon goodies. I'll be real honest here.. I really didn't feel a whole lot of difference in stiffness, weight, or anything. It did "Feel" different for sure, but it wasn't a bad different.. just different. It definitely sounded different, again, not bad, just different. I'll also say.. for me, Alloy just exudes confidence in me.. carbon is phenomenal.. but when I'm hitting rocks, drops, etc.. I push harder on alloy, because in the back of my mind, I'm working with metal, not carbon. I know Niner is great with their carbon, warranties are great, service is great... but nobody wants to break anything, and there's just a little doubt in the back of my mind when I'm taking a hit with a carbon bike... Alloy.. I'm have no concerns. I know they break too, but it's just a mental thing for me.

Now, let's get real for a second.. None of us need an 8k bike.. really, none of us do. Some of us have the privilege to afford such bikes, and I'm grateful to be one of those who has the opportunity. If I'm being completely realistic.. I'm not buying the RIP9RDO.

I'm saving that 1k, and putting it towards components... mainly the wheels. The New Alloy RIP9, with Carbon goodies is an amazing bike, and honestly, I don't think you're going to see so much difference that you won't regret going alloy, and upgrading other parts.

My ideal build currently:

RIP9
    Pike Fork (I have not ridden one, but many friends, Muzz, and reviews here are pretty much undeniable.)
    XX1 Drivetrain (I would have said XO1, but turns out that whole thing is a crock of crap.. I'll pay a couple hundred more for XX1)
    XT Brakes (XTR is not enough more, and the Shimano brakes kill it no matter what to me.)
    Carbon Wheels (Honestly, I don't care, Chinese Carbon laced to Chris King, Roval, I9 Torch.. pick your poison)
    Niner Trail Stem/Carbon Bars
    KS LEV Seatpost
    Whatever rubber you prefer (Grips, Seat, Tires)

That's my 2 pennies... RIP9RDO is king, but not necessary..

mtbr member

One of the only pics I got.. Let me add.. The blue on the RIP9 RDO is just amazing!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

mtbr member

Now I have to put some alloy in this thread.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '14 RIP 9
    '12 RIP 9
    '08 GF Ferrous 29
    '02 Trek 4300

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I haven't ridden the alloy or carbon when i decided to buy one.

When on holidays i passed the Niner HQ and asked if i could have a look at the bikes. In Europe we dunnot have the alloy Rip yet.

Man i loved the looks of the RDO in a 1 on 1....so i bought plain and simple because of the looks.

Also own a Jet 9 RDO V1 but i definitely do feel a difference bewteen the bikes. The Jet is sub 10 kg and the Rip 12 and a bit kg. The accelaration (or how it is spelled) of the Jet is imho much better even with heavier wheels then the Rip. Climbing is better on the Jet to. When climbing i have the feeling i have to put more power on the handlebar to keep the rip down.

Descending....................RIP owns with the Pike!!!!

Carbon & Ti rule
    Your weight difference is not for the same type of build because there isn't that much difference between frame weights, Not over 2kg

If you were to compare a Jet9 RDO with likes of a Sid Fork, Light tyres & carbon seat post with a Rip9 RDO with dropper post, Heavy tyres & heavyer fork & wheels, For sure the Jet9 RDO would eat the Rip9 RDO on the climbs.

With what I was saying I'm compering how you would build the bike if you were to only have the 1 bike , were as if you were to build one of each, It would be better to build them less alike.

Quote Originally Posted by sand0kan View Post
    I haven't ridden the alloy or carbon when i decided to buy one.

When on holidays i passed the Niner HQ and asked if i could have a look at the bikes. In Europe we dunnot have the alloy Rip yet.

Man i loved the looks of the RDO in a 1 on 1....so i bought plain and simple because of the looks.

Also own a Jet 9 RDO V1 but i definitely do feel a difference bewteen the bikes. The Jet is sub 10 kg and the Rip 12 and a bit kg. The accelaration (or how it is spelled) of the Jet is imho much better even with heavier wheels then the Rip. Climbing is better on the Jet to. When climbing i have the feeling i have to put more power on the handlebar to keep the rip down.

Descending....................RIP owns with the Pike!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thank you muzzanic and five5 for your feedback.

Five5, actually my question wasn’t ‘all about the money money money’ (5 kids I hear a variety of songs... ha sorry for that) I'm really asking about the old 80/20 type rule. Let me explain.

So you put $4k into a 3-star 2014 Rip 9 Alloy. On a scale of 1-100, maybe the bike ranks 90. Next you put $6300 into a 3-star 2014 Rip RDO, that gets you what, 92? It's not until you put a 1k fork and 1.5k worth of wheels and $300 dropper on the thing that it hits the 98 type mark (because nothing is perfect). So you have a point of diminishing returns. 2x the money for a 5%-8% improvement... I mean I am over 40 and simply getting a diet would probably net me a larger improvement and save me on the food bill.

Muzzanic, I think you summed it up very well. Basically, there is less ride difference in the Alloy and Carbon than there is in almost any component upgrade. If purchasing the carbon means a lesser drivetrain, fork, wheels, then it simply won't ride as nice. Is that about right?

With a big family, the thought of spending 4k on a bike is very crazy, but yet here I am. I simply can't justify spending more than this amount. I'd like to take a trip to Moab next year with some friends, so it's unlikely I'll have any serious money to put into the bike next year. At this point, I'm really looking buying / building a bike, staying under 4k with taxes and riding it for the next 2 years with very minimal changes (maybe a dropper post).

mtbr member

Totally, agree! I think we're all saying the same thing.

80/20, you'll get everything you need from the alloy, plus some extra room to upgrade the alloy.

That's the direction I'm going for sure.

Carbon & Ti rule
    [QUOTE=Highlander944;10609898]

Muzzanic, I think you summed it up very well. Basically, there is less ride difference in the Alloy and Carbon than there is in almost any component upgrade. If purchasing the carbon means a lesser drivetrain, fork, wheels, then it simply won't ride as nice. Is that about right?

Yes that is what I'm saying, build a Alloy Rip9 & put the Pike on it if you can & build the rest of it the best you can.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    Now I have to put some alloy in this thread.
    Now you need to get some new pics of that thing.

mtbr member

I do. I'm sick of it! Got a Pike on it now, too.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '14 RIP 9
    '12 RIP 9
    '08 GF Ferrous 29
    '02 Trek 4300

Carbon & Ti rule
    Well what's your thoughts over the Fox 34.

I do. I'm sick of it! Got a Pike on it now, too.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Well what's your thoughts over the Fox 34.
    I really only have one ride on it, but the Pike is both plush and supportive. The 2014 Fox is much improved over the 2013, but stiction issues remain, and the Pike is superior. It's not close, either.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '14 RIP 9
    '12 RIP 9
    '08 GF Ferrous 29
    '02 Trek 4300

Carbon & Ti rule
    Yes that is my thoughts to & others that have ridden my bike are looking to buy a Pike as well.

I really only have one ride on it, but the Pike is both plush and supportive. The 2014 Fox is much improved over the 2013, but stiction issues remain, and the Pike is superior. It's not close, either.

mtbr member

Set several PRs on one of my first local rides on the new RIP today. Paired with the Pike and a good wheel set, this is likely all the bike I'll ever need, unless I move to the PNW. Here rufus, just for you:
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '14 RIP 9
    '12 RIP 9
    '08 GF Ferrous 29
    '02 Trek 4300

Carbon & Ti rule
    Your bike is a nice build, I'm trying at the moment to talk a couple of my friends into builds just like yours.

QUOTE=scvkurt03;10613273]Set several PRs on one of my first local rides on the new RIP today. Paired with the Pike and a good wheel set, this is likely all the bike I'll ever need, unless I move to the PNW. Here rufus, just for you:[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    I had the opportunity a few weeks ago to ride the RIP alloy and the RDO back to back at Fort Custer, MI. Both bikes were set up with the same spec, same size, and I rode them on the same trail. I came back impressed with the RDO but even more impressed with the alloy. Why? The only real difference I noticed between the two was that I could toss the RDO into a corner with almost no effort, while the alloy required a little more body english. I guess that's the stiffness in the RDO frame showing its presence.

Both bikes allowed me to get a little stupid. The RDO saved my bacon on a drop in which I should have endo'd. I made climbs on the alloy in the big ring that I usually have to drop down into my granny to negotiate (I'm a big guy.) I took my hardtail EMD out on the same trail later that day and got harshly reminded how good both RIPs were. I was really impressed with the alloy because I didn't feel like it gave up $1000 worth of performance to the RDO. I don't think that's a knock on the RDO, it's more a compliment to how good the new alloy version is. Some of that was probably due to them having the exact same setup, but it's what I felt. I decided that weekend that, given my budget, the RIP9 alloy was logically probably going to be my next bike.

So what did I do two weeks ago? I bought the RIP9 RDO. I know, I know. Now, I still stand by my statement that I believe the alloy to be almost as good. I never thought I was going to be able to justify that extra cash but I got a great deal on an RDO frame and fork, and the spouse surprisingly agreed. Unfortunately, I'm still dealing with an issue from that purchase but I'm waiting on an email response from Niner before I discuss the resolution of the issue.

I think I would have been perfectly happy with the RIP alloy but in the end I was seduced by the black carbon. I think anyone who's sensible should go with the alloy version, I think I just got tired of being sensible.
    "Serpentine Shelly. Serpentine!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Some great feedback. One LBS I contacted seems to have a very reasonable offer. They will trade out the standard 3 star fork (ROCK SHOX REVELATION RCT3 ) for the Pike (the RockShox Pike RCT3 29 Solo Air) plus $205. Seems like this would be a very good blend of high end bike and value (if there's such a thing for bicycle)....

Carbon & Ti rule
    That sounds like a great deal

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander944 View Post
    Some great feedback. One LBS I contacted seems to have a very reasonable offer. They will trade out the standard 3 star fork (ROCK SHOX REVELATION RCT3 ) for the Pike (the RockShox Pike RCT3 29 Solo Air) plus $205. Seems like this would be a very good blend of high end bike and value (if there's such a thing for bicycle)....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast