Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New to Niners with a handlebar question

1K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  dirtbiker 
#1 ·
I took the plunge this past week and bought myself a new Niner RIP complete:thumbsup: . This is my first 29er so there is going to be some getting use to as the ride is very different than the 26" wheels.

My question is this, the bars that came on the bike are 30" wide, I rode 27" wide bars on my Blur and they felt great, the 30" bars on the RIP feel extremely wide, is this common for a 29er to have wider bars and if so, why? I want to make sure the wider bars do not serve a major purpose before I invest in another set. I appreciate any help.

#2 ·
There's a few threads on this subject over in the 29er forum, wider bars with a shorter stem seem to be trending right now. I've got a 710/60 combo on mine really liking it, but that's about my standard setup 26 or 29er.

#4 ·
Don't change it to soon.

I started with wide bars & didn't like it so went narrower & after a while went back wide again & really like it now I have given it time.

Give it a about 4 or 5 weeks before you change it & see how you feel then.

#5 ·
muzzanic said:
Don't change it to soon.

I started with wide bars & didn't like it so went narrower & after a while went back wide again & really like it now I have given it time.

Give it a about 4 or 5 weeks before you change it & see how you feel then.
Exactly what I plan to do. I just picked up my Jet last weekend (first 29er) ... of course it rained every day this past week!:madmax:

My 26" Stumpy has a riser bar at 622.30mm width ... my Jet came with the Niner flat bar at 730.25mm width. I like the feel of the wider bar from a handling and leverage standpoint, but it would be real challenging to make it between trees on some of our local trails. I plan to ride the bike "as-is" for about a month, but I'm guessing I'll eventually take off at least one inch (25.4mm) from each side.

#6 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies. I will try the local trails with the bars on it as is and make a decision after a few rides. If I do decide to change them out I will keep the wide bars just in case I do decide to go back that direction as stated by others.

#7 ·
Wider bars will allow you to steer the bike around with the bigger wheels easier because you have more leverage. If you go with shorter bars, your steering is faster but you have to put more effort into it to steer. I personally go with shorter bars but I actually bought a used air 9 last week and have been running a niner flat top 9 bar and its not that bad, I am liking it a lot for climbing.

#8 ·
Typically, shorter bars tend to go with 26" XC style bikes. Faster steering. Longer bars have been the tendancy for a couple years with a 29er for steering purposes and leverage purposes (Niners have a steep headtube and the longer bar evens that out in the steering department).

Its all about ride style beyond that. Try the bars and see what you like. I started longer and have decreased down to about 640mm on my geared frame and will be running 670mm on my single speed. I do like the longer bar on my 29er vs the shorter bar on my old 26" bikes.

#9 ·
are you sure it has 30" bars. That seems a little extreme @762mm. It is hard to find a bar sold that wide.

I like mine in the 700mm range and currently run the 710mm niner carbon bar. 700mm felt crazy wide at first coming from a 26" xc bike, but you quickly adjust to it.

#10 ·
I was trail riding to day and I am running the niner flat top bar which is 710mm wide I think, and I am running grip shifters so your hands tend to be in and the bars stick out an inch or so past your hand. Anyway I was running into trees at the beginning but caught on real quick and now I like a wider bar for my niner.

#11 ·
brightsky said:
are you sure it has 30" bars. That seems a little extreme @762mm. It is hard to find a bar sold that wide.

I like mine in the 700mm range and currently run the 710mm niner carbon bar. 700mm felt crazy wide at first coming from a 26" xc bike, but you quickly adjust to it.
Yes 30" measured with grips on. They are very wide.

#12 ·
My recent Jet 9 came with 110g Bontrager XXX 23" bars. I have given them the three week test period and now they have to go. But what to replace with? I kind of like the Salsa flat bars. I'm not sure about a 9 or 11 degree sweep so still on the fence what to get. Plus, stick with the light carbon for an extra $80 or simply go aluminum?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.