mtbr member
    May 2008

New kicks for my A9C

since the A9C's don't get much love and are overshadowed by the RIP/Jet RDO's....

I have been rolling my A9C with a crest/hope combo for the last 1.5 years. Always in the back of my mind was the wheels were too lite for me, even more so since most of my rides are in deep back country were no one speaks english and I Speak very little Thai. (The Crest wheels have not given any problems other than typical rear wheel truing.) Enter the availability issue of bike parts in Thailand and the exhorbant import duties... this left me with a $1200 set of specialized wheels that would cost me about $2000 after shipping and duty. or the Mavic Crossmax ST/SL which i could get here for close to retail USA price. After discussion with MAVIC I chose the Crossmax ST as i weigh 220 lbs (100kg) For the extra 90grams of claimed weight difference, was not worried as I sweat off that much walking to the car.

No real ride time on them yet other than neighborhood and jeep tracks through bannana plantations. I have noticed they are a little harsher, but oh so much more laterally stiff. That is what I wanted as some of the rugged down hills here the crests felt a little "noodley" almost like loose spokes.

And they color matched my bike perfectly! Enjoy the bike pron:

mtbr member

New kicks for my A9C

Yup! So nice! Looks great!!

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=shiftless89;10188075]since the A9C's don't get much love and are overshadowed by the RIP/Jet RDO's....

yeah, whats up with that??

the mav st's are a great wheelset, i have a 26" set that have been put through hell and never let me down. still as true as day 1

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Nice bike! I have Mavic ST's also on my Carve and love them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Bike looks great. They color match really well.

I just picked up an A9C and look forward to building it up

mtbr member
    May 2008
    got it out on a 10 mile urban ride. the Mavic hubs have a much faster engagement than the hopes.. its a little thing but i like tight precision. acceleration is about the same

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Sexy thing!

mtbr member
    Beautiful bike and great wheel choice!

Can't believe no one commented on the fact that you're 220 and on Crests

I'm running the Arch EX because of my weight and aggressive riding, would love to save weight but no way would I run the Crests. I'm about 190 geared up and according to Stan's I'm pretty sure there is a weight limit for the Crests, and I'm over that.

The fact that you have not destroyed them is a testament to your riding skills-good bike handling and smooth technique.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    Beautiful bike and great wheel choice!

Can't believe no one commented on the fact that you're 220 and on Crests

I'm running the Arch EX because of my weight and aggressive riding, would love to save weight but no way would I run the Crests. I'm about 190 geared up and according to Stan's I'm pretty sure there is a weight limit for the Crests, and I'm over that.

The fact that you have not destroyed them is a testament to your riding skills-good bike handling and smooth technique.

He is riding Mavic Crossmax ST's now though.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I still have my crests for back up. I do have over 20 years if riding under my belt. And the crests would still be ok, but I can feel that I might be pushing my luck in the middle of the jungle. So far I am really enjoying the magics

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Got my first real dirt ride this weekend on the Mavics (work hasn't allowed me the luxury). 40k, in Hot dusty sandy conditions (40deg C+) Wow what an improvement. I couldn't note any apreciable weight gain. The Mavic pawl engagement is much faster, the wheel stiffeness was outstanding. I feel like the bike has a whole new level of "flickyness"- Much better handling with no noticable flex. The wheels are a little harsher in the feedback department, but not uncomfortable. Down hill sections, I felt far more secure and planted. On asphalt sections i felt more tire buzz than the old crests would give with the same tires. I am very pleased so far and look forward towards the next gap in work>

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I don't think you can go wrong with Mavics. I Have been riding various mavic wheelsets sets over 17 yrs. Never a problem. Ride on!! The company has been building them I think over 100 years. I imagine they have experience.