mtbr member
    Jan 2006

New Jet9 RDO in green

Does anyone know if these frames are available yet or not? I'm looking to get a new bike, and like some of the tweaks as well as the green color on the new Jet9 RDO.

[edit - it looks like these were just announced in the last couple of days...i should have searched the internets a bit more]

Question I guess is -- when will the frame be available?

Thanks
    -j
    Last edited by grumblingcrustacean; 08-24-2012 at 12:00 PM. Reason: i used the internets...

Carbon & Ti rule
    November ish Maybe even this 1

mtbr member
    Pics?

Nevermind! Awesome!

Niner Unveils Updated Jet 9 RDO, Adds Jet 9 Carbon - Bike Rumor

Now where is that RIP9 Carbon??? Haha!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    @muzzanic - thanks.

A November time frame (not to mention possible ordering delays) may put this too far out for me, need to noodle on that.

Want a bit of Kermit, but maybe a white build with colorful parts would be the short term option.

-j

mtbr member
    Well, I'm sure you'll see some of the "old" RDO's dumped now, and since it seems like the Jet9 Carbon is the "old" RDO, I'm thinking they killed some of the resale value of the "old" RDO.

I'll happily stay one model behind, and get a kick ass bike for less!

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by grumblingcrustacean View Post
    @muzzanic - thanks.

A November time frame (not to mention possible ordering delays) may put this too far out for me, need to noodle on that.

Want a bit of Kermit, but maybe a white build with colorful parts would be the short term option.

-j
    Yep, White RDO's do up nice to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Jet9 RDO in green-img_4963a-640x427-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    No XTR equals not an option.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    All RDO's look good.. let's just face it.

I love the green and the moondust

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I installed xtr on an older jet rdo for a friend. It fit just fine and shifts great. Not sure why it wouldn't work...
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleForScience View Post
    I installed xtr on an older jet rdo for a friend. It fit just fine and shifts great. Not sure why it wouldn't work...
    It's about the Double chain rings on Shimano, there large ring is were the middle on a triple is were as the Sram 2x10 the large ring is moved out more

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by five5 View Post
    Well, I'm sure you'll see some of the "old" RDO's dumped now, and since it seems like the Jet9 Carbon is the "old" RDO, I'm thinking they killed some of the resale value of the "old" RDO.

I'll happily stay one model behind, and get a kick ass bike for less!
    The old RDO will have a better rear shock than the Jet9 carbon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    The old RDO will have a better rear shock than the Jet9 carbon.
    Yes, but considering the majority that don't upgrade their bikes every time something new comes out, probably aren't going to care much. My 10' RIP9 doesn't have fancy Kashima coating, and works brilliantly. Most also don't need XTR, XX stuff on their bike. SLX works well.

My point is, it's great that NINER put something out for the common folk, this will be a viable new option for many, taking buyers out of the market to buy an "old" RDO.

Me, I'm in the middle, I'll happily take an "old" RDO off someone who needs the latest, greatest. That should be favorable to me, because the Jet Carbon possibly dropped the demand for second hand "old" RDO's.

I will probably wait to see if there is a carbon RIP9 though, because I do fancy myself as someone who sometimes just does need that latest, greatest when the time is right!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    The rear maxle should stiffen up the frame nicely. The frame price is silly though...The QR is really yesterday. The green is very cool. It would be cool if they extended the top tube length a smidge...

I saw an orange Turner Sultan the other day that is absolutely gorgeous.
    Last edited by Jaybo; 08-25-2012 at 05:30 PM.

mtbr member
    That green RDO is money I am waiting to see if there will be a Green Rip RDO before I buy the JET

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    The rear maxle should stiffen up the frame nicely. The frame price is silly though...The QR is really yesterday. The green is very cool. It would be cool if they extended the top tube length a smidge...

Oh please... even Niner can't bring themselves to say that. I'm not sure why you would.

It's 100% a marketing decision aimed at people who would make or believe statements like the one above.

Niner's price increases are relentless. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if they held back so they would have a reason to raise the price when they "improved" the frame.

-------

I do like the moondust color. It's a little (just a little) less garish than the others. Too bad it's only available as a poorly spec'd complete.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by JeffS View Post
    Oh please... even Niner can't bring themselves to say that. I'm not sure why you would.

It's 100% a marketing decision aimed at people who would make or believe statements like the one above.

Niner's price increases are relentless. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if they held back so they would have a reason to raise the price when they "improved" the frame.

-------

I do like the moondust color. It's a little (just a little) less garish than the others. Too bad it's only available as a poorly spec'd complete.
    I tend to agree with you at some point; however, don't kid yourself, Niner is a company trying to make money. Imagine that!

We shall see if the maxle stiffens things up but it seems odd for a bike intended to be a race bike. It seems like Cannondale and other companies use something besides a thru axle. Maxle isn't heavy but it isn't light...it does work well. The 9mm QR is going away.

The next thing in mountain bikes will electronic shifting; therefore, Niner and other companies will have frames designed for such systems creating an urgency to upgrade. Kaboomb in sales!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    The next thing in mountain bikes will electronic shifting!
    Don't get your hopes up. They can't even get it figured out on road/TT bikes. The additional shifting required in MTb'ing makes electronic shifting even further away from becoming commonplace.

I'm not a fan of the green, but then again I bought the raw which is pretty blah.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Mechanical shifting is going bye bye in fairly short order. I have ridden an electronic bike and it was incredible! You are probably right though...we shall see.

I like my black bike!!! Very nice but I like green quite a bit.

wnymba-imba ~VP
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by five5 View Post
    Yes, but considering the majority that don't upgrade their bikes every time something new comes out, probably aren't going to care much. My 10' RIP9 doesn't have fancy Kashima coating, and works brilliantly. Most also don't need XTR, XX stuff on their bike. SLX works well.

My point is, it's great that NINER put something out for the common folk, this will be a viable new option for many, taking buyers out of the market to buy an "old" RDO.

Me, I'm in the middle, I'll happily take an "old" RDO off someone who needs the latest, greatest. That should be favorable to me, because the Jet Carbon possibly dropped the demand for second hand "old" RDO's.

I will probably wait to see if there is a carbon RIP9 though, because I do fancy myself as someone who sometimes just does need that latest, greatest when the time is right!
    IMO the foray into carbon jet 9's killed off a potential rip 9 carbon. Especially with the upgraded 12x142 rear axle (ie available kit for rip) and it already can handle a 120mm fork...why would Niner produce another full squish carbon frame with a 1/2" more travel?! I just don't understand everyone's asking for it. And yes I own a rip9...one of the best bikes ever!
    www.wnymba.org
    Building trails and keeping them open...

Niner Air9C

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor69PRS View Post
    IMO the foray into carbon jet 9's killed off a potential rip 9 carbon. Especially with the upgraded 12x142 rear axle (ie available kit for rip) and it already can handle a 120mm fork...why would Niner produce another full squish carbon frame with a 1/2" more travel?! I just don't understand everyone's asking for it. And yes I own a rip9...one of the best bikes ever!
    I agree that there would be no point making a Rip9 carbon if it only had 1/2 inch more travel than the Jet9 RDO.

However the Jet9 carbon got 20mm more travel than the Alloy Jet9, So if the same thing happened with the Rip9 then it would make alot of the Rip9 wanters & WFO wanters at the same time.

Remembering that alot of Rip9 Alloy owners are running 140mm forks now so giving it more than the current 114mm of rear travel would be welcomed by many.

Just a thought.

wnymba-imba ~VP
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I agree that there would be no point making a Rip9 carbon if it only had 1/2 inch more travel than the Jet9 RDO.

However the Jet9 carbon got 20mm more travel than the Alloy Jet9, So if the same thing happened with the Rip9 then it would make alot of the Rip9 wanters & WFO wanters at the same time.

Remembering that alot of Rip9 Alloy owners are running 140mm forks now so giving it more than the current 114mm of rear travel would be welcomed by many.

Just a thought.
    Good point...I did forget that the original jet alloy was less travel...so yeah, maybe if they juiced it up and made it 5" rear, 130/140 up front?!

I dunno...not trying to hijack...but I think 650B will be the 5-7" travel full squish bike and 29" will be 4 or less inches and hardtail champs....

Although...I would of course still buy a juiced up rip9 carbon to add to my Niner collection if it happened
    www.wnymba.org
    Building trails and keeping them open...

Niner Air9C