Thread: New Jet9 Alloy

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

New Jet9 Alloy

The new 29-or-27.5+ Niner JET9 now comes in alloy, too - Bikerumor

I feel like this is a pretty killer build coming in @ $2600.

Just made the top of my new bike wish list.

Can't wait for ride reviews.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Also, Niner has updated their demo schedule. Looks like the vans are now stocked with the newer models.

mtbr member
    This is exactly what I have been waiting for. Wish it came stock with a dropper, but adding a Hilo or PNW Rainer would be a low cost option and still be under $3k.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Really disappointed to see Niner stating they won't be offering up frame only options anymore. Its a complete deal killer for me, as I like to pick and choose each component of a build, especially the wheels.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    If you really want to buy just the frame then get the rdo frame. Or shoot, buy this complete bike and sell the parts. You likely don't have a set of boost parts just sitting in a box yet. Based on the price of the last jet alloy frames you are pretty much getting the complete parts kit for like $600. I bet you could sell it off for at least that much. I think it's an awesome deal and it'll be great for shops. It means I don't have to spend a few hours assembling the bikes which means more margin for my shop. I'll be pushing these things out the door all day long. And it's a pretty solid build kit to boot!

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleForScience View Post
    If you really want to buy just the frame then get the rdo frame.
    Good point, I was under the mistaken impression that the JET9 RDO wasn't available in frame only options, but I did find it on the website after some searching.

You are correct, I don't have a box of boost parts around yet, but in 6 months I might. I don't want to mess with buying a full bike then selling all the parts off. You could use seatposts, bars, stems, pedals, etc from an existing build.

I get the motive for it, and its totally their choice. Its one of the things I like most though, selecting and building each part for its purpose. Build a set of wheels with the rims / hubs I want, mixing SRAM and Shimano drivetrains and brakes, picking the fork I want, etc are things that I get value in when building a bike up. Full builds are great for some, I just really prefer the experience of selecting, buying and then building my own bikes up.

Since I do my own maintenance and builds, I'm probably in the minority and that is fine but I want to voice my opinion that I really hope Niner continues to offer all models in frame only purchase options.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    These alloy models are most likely there to provide dealers a way to offer an entry point into Niner's model line. Place the RDO's out front, customer drools but doesn't like the price tag, dealer shows them the alloy version with a complete bike price under 3K, sold.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordzkof View Post
    These alloy models are most likely there to provide dealers a way to offer an entry point into Niner's model line. Place the RDO's out front, customer drools but doesn't like the price tag, dealer shows them the alloy version with a complete bike price under 3K, sold.
    This is pretty much how it works. Sold several tallboy 2's this way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleForScience View Post
    If you really want to buy just the frame then get the rdo frame. Or shoot, buy this complete bike and sell the parts. You likely don't have a set of boost parts just sitting in a box yet. Based on the price of the last jet alloy frames you are pretty much getting the complete parts kit for like $600. I bet you could sell it off for at least that much. I think it's an awesome deal and it'll be great for shops. It means I don't have to spend a few hours assembling the bikes which means more margin for my shop. I'll be pushing these things out the door all day long. And it's a pretty solid build kit to boot!
    We've done this with two RKT's in the past few weeks. Customer wants to do a custom frame up build. We buy the cheapest complete, and just sell the parts that it comes with. That's actually how I got the 29er wheels that are on my bike right now. Also downsized from the xt 11-46 to the xt 11-42 this way. It's really beneficial for everyone involved.

What's even nicer is that Niner sends all of their builds completely disassembled. So we don't waste any labor tearing down a complete bike.

mtbr member
    I'm ready to buy one of these. I just need to see an SLX build kit with 27.5 wheels, a dropper post and a black color option.
    The Truth will set you free.

....but it might offend you first!

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    I'm wondering what the weight difference will be between carbon and alloy models.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    I'm wondering what the weight difference will be between carbon and alloy models.
    I estimate that the 1 star alloy build will weigh in in the low 30s.

mtbr member
    The Jet 9 is coming in at 30.5 lbs as spec'd for a Med. JET 9 RDO's are coming in around 27 lbs depending on the star build.

Sorry at the moment we are only offering the alloy frames as complete bikes. Part of the exercise of offering an aluminum model is to have a more affordable price. By offering a complete bike we can combine our purchasing power to offer a lower total package than you could selecting parts one by one.

Peace,
    Niner Bikes

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

29er zealot
    Does anyone have any reviews or photos of the new jet9 alloys? None of my local shops have any in stock, so I'd love to see some photos!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Nice bike for the price...need to Demo this spring

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes View Post
    The Jet 9 is coming in at 30.5 lbs as spec'd for a Med. JET 9 RDO's are coming in around 27 lbs depending on the star build.

Sorry at the moment we are only offering the alloy frames as complete bikes. Part of the exercise of offering an aluminum model is to have a more affordable price. By offering a complete bike we can combine our purchasing power to offer a lower total package than you could selecting parts one by one.
    Just ordered mine!

old and slow
    I just got my Jet 9 alloy 1 Star a couple of days ago. It weighed 32 lbs 7 oz with the stock pedals (size Large frame).
    There's only two things in life (but I forget what they are). - John Hiatt

29er zealot
    Bluesdawg, how about some photos? I was very tempted by that bike, but got a pretty good deal on the RDO 2 star, so I went that route.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Just got mine
    Size Small with XT pedals & Selle Italia Saddle 30.5 pounds (tubeless)
    I think the wheelset sucks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Jet9 Alloy-niner.jpg  

New Jet9 Alloy-karate-monkey.jpg  

old and slow
    Here are a few pictures from the first two rides. Dialing in the suspension settings and getting close. I love the way the bike handles. Very confident going over rocks, ruts and dips. Nimble through twisty turns and switchbacks.

Changes to date:
    I changed the handlebar to my S-Works carbon riser, put on my XT Trail pedals and added a bottle cage.

Priorities for future changes:
    Gearing is too high for my legs and the hills on the trails I ride. first I'll swap the 32t chainring for a 28t. If I still want more I'll get a 11-46 cassette.

Swap seatpost for a dropper.

Lighter wheels and run the tires tubeless. The stock wheels are very heavy.

0305a by Benny Watson, on Flickr

0305b by Benny Watson, on Flickr

0305d by Benny Watson, on Flickr

0305f by Benny Watson, on Flickr

0305g by Benny Watson, on Flickr

Jet 9 by Benny Watson, on Flickr

Jet 9 by Benny Watson, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Nice bike, especially for $2,600

How is the clearance in rear for larger tires?

Thanks, for the photos

old and slow
    Quote Originally Posted by rushman3 View Post
    Nice bike, especially for $2,600

How is the clearance in rear for larger tires?

Thanks, for the photos
    LOTS of tire clearance!

clearance1 by Benny Watson, on Flickr

clearance2 by Benny Watson, on Flickr

clearance3 by Benny Watson, on Flickr

29er zealot
    That bike looks pretty nice! I would second the wheelset being mediocre at best. I purchased the 2 star RDO, but it has the same wheelset. I swapped mine over to tubeless, but plan to start saving for a nicer wheelset...thinking I9's with some NOX rims.

old and slow
    Much needed modification - swapped out 32t chainring for a One Up 28t. I'm trying the regular, non-boost 6mm offset version as it was available cheap ($28) and I've read a few accounts that the chainline will still be OK with a single chainring. Looks OK to me. I'll find out by Saturday if it causes any problems.

crank by Benny Watson, on Flickr

old and slow
    Today I put my Roval Control Carbon 29 wheels on the Jet 9 with Roval Boost Conversion Kit with Specialized S-Works Ground Control 2.3" tires (tubeless) and I swapped the cassette for a Box 11-46t. Total weight at 29 lbs 6 oz is 3 lbs 1 oz below bone stock weight.

Down from 32-07 by Benny Watson, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Just broke my old salsa big mama. Bummed as I had it set up perfect. Considering the Jet 9 Alloy. Couple questions for those that own this:

1. I am 6'4". Standard proportion. Is the XL big enough?
    2. I love big big 29 inch tires. I was running a Goma on i35 rim and it was almost 2.6' (64mm). Will the rubber fit this frame?
    3. Finally, Can't find info on the wheels. Sounds like they are not to great, but do you know the width of the rim to support big tires?

Thanks bunch. I had a rip 9 for years and broke it....reconsidering niner with the new geometry....and this build with the yari seems pretty sweet...

29er zealot
    I've got a 2.4 on one of mine, but plan to step up to the Schnably Nobby Nic in 2.6 for the front. Rear is debateable whether a 2.6 would fit. Niner says 2.5 max, but my 2.35 has quite a bit of space. I'm 6'2" and the large is plenty big enough for me if that helps.
    Last edited by froth14; 03-21-2017 at 02:59 AM.

old and slow
    The rims are just 29mm external and 21mm internal to the bead hook. Maybe a touch more to the wals below the hooks, but by no means are they wide rims. I think there is room for a 2.6 inch wide tire between the stays, but not sure how much taller that tire would be. There is less clearance for tire height than for width.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Any updates on biggest tire? I am about to pull the trigger on either a Jet 9 or a Banshee Phantom. Phantom can definitely fit 2.6, but Jet is still unknown.

Also - Anybody on an XL jet and how does it fit? I am 6'5" and assume it would be okay. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Considering a Jet 9 for my first Full Squish. I am 5'2" so I'm looking at the XS. Anyone out there riding XS willing to post pics and weights?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by telejefe View Post
    Any updates on biggest tire? I am about to pull the trigger on either a Jet 9 or a Banshee Phantom. Phantom can definitely fit 2.6, but Jet is still unknown.

Also - Anybody on an XL jet and how does it fit? I am 6'5" and assume it would be okay. Thanks.
    Days right on their website...

http://www.ninerbikes.com/JET-9-1-STAR-NX1?sc=38

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk