mtbr member
    Jan 2012

New Jet 9 RDO offering

Anyone seen the new Jet 9 RDO option? Sounds like they have changed the way they are doing their carbon process (New RDO carbon compaction system). Maybe a new technique to strengthen carbon from breaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b27_4NTz4Ro

What I found that is really nice, is they are offering a 5 star XX1 build that comes with a RockShox PIKE RCT3 Solo Air 120mm, 15mm fork! I have been waiting for this. Now is the time. A 120mm front pike will really stiffen this bike really nice. I'm surmising it is a 34 stanchion fork as most pikes are. This would make the Jet 9 RDO the ultimate trail weapon, XC, singletrack, or almost whatever bike. I'm excited about this. Now to justify this and scheme how to come up with the funds.

JET 9 RDO

They are also offering a build with the new RS1 fork but man, I don't have 10ger, for this baby and I think I would rather have a 120mm Pike than a 100mm fork.

Oh yeah, Niner, love the color!!! Rippin Rad, you all always know how to do some classy and tasteful colors on your bikes. Niners always look exceptional.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have been considering the J9 RDO for a new frame so it may be worth waiting for the change if the carbon compaction process results in added strength with fewer defects. Good to see some new color choices although I liked the black/white that was dropped.

Top builds do cost a boatload - ouch.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Must be a custom model for Niner...no mention of it on the R website.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Really digging that build with the pike! I'd tweak it just a little with some wider rims that what's offered, and add a dropper. I agree etanc, I liked the black & white also.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    What is the R site?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    Must be a custom model for Niner...no mention of it on the R website.
    No, according to the Niner site it is new frame color option and is available with different builds or frame only.

Quote Originally Posted by etanc View Post
    Good to see some new color choices although I liked the black/white that was dropped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalamath View Post
    . . . I agree etanc, I liked the black & white also.

I agree as well, Niner should have kept the white color option.

However with the new 3M vinyls I have considered purchasing a black Jet 9 RDO and putting a matte silver where the white section is of the white version of the RDO and then adding Niner gloss black decals. Or I have considered doing a black Jet 9 RDO frame with white pearl 3M vinyl where it would have been white in the older offerings and of course black niner decals. I have seen some custom Santa Cruz bikes with this 3M stuff and it looks really nice. It protects the frame for one, and two looks like a custom paint job, and three does not void any warranties. All you have to do is peel it off and you are back to stock.

But I do like this new Jet 9 RDO in red as well...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    No, according to the Niner site it is new frame color option and is available with different builds or frame only.

Sorry I was not clear...I meant the Pike, not the Jet 9 RDO being a new model.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Oh I see what you meant, the Rockshox website. Yeah, when I saw specialized has the 120mm Pike on the camber carbon expert evo I went to their site to see if they now offer it as a separate fork but it wasn't there. I think they are doing this for certain companies, now Niner and Spec. only but not for individual purchase. I wonder if it is a 140mm fork just lowered to 120mm?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Can't resist. Going for it. Will post pics in the build thread when it arrives. =)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Can't resist. Going for it. Will post pics in the build thread when it arrives. =)
    Please do, I'm sure it will be sick...

mtbr member
    Man I love my Vanilla but that red is hot!!!!!!

Carbon & Ti rule
    The pike is a 35mm fork

Anyone seen the new Jet 9 RDO option? Sounds like they have changed the way they are doing their carbon process (New RDO carbon compaction system). Maybe a new technique to strengthen carbon from breaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b27_4NTz4Ro

What I found that is really nice, is they are offering a 5 star XX1 build that comes with a RockShox PIKE RCT3 Solo Air 120mm, 15mm fork! I have been waiting for this. Now is the time. A 120mm front pike will really stiffen this bike really nice. I'm surmising it is a 34 stanchion fork as most pikes are. This would make the Jet 9 RDO the ultimate trail weapon, XC, singletrack, or almost whatever bike. I'm excited about this. Now to justify this and scheme how to come up with the funds.

JET 9 RDO

They are also offering a build with the new RS1 fork but man, I don't have 10ger, for this baby and I think I would rather have a 120mm Pike than a 100mm fork.

Oh yeah, Niner, love the color!!! Rippin Rad, you all always know how to do some classy and tasteful colors on your bikes. Niners always look exceptional.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    "Anyone seen the new Jet 9 RDO option? Sounds like they have changed the way they are doing their carbon process (New RDO carbon compaction system). Maybe a new technique to strengthen carbon from breaking."

finally getting up to speed with the likes of Santa Cruz (they have been doing this for years). Rocky Mountains is also doing this since the 2012 modelrange at least.

Niner is just good at advertising it so people buy into it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    They took down the 5-star XX1 120mm Pike build from the website. Noticed it the other day, wonder why they'd do that. Seemed to be a super sweet build.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    They took down the 5-star XX1 120mm Pike build from the website. Noticed it the other day, wonder why they'd do that. Seemed to be a super sweet build.
    Yeah, just saw that... What is up with that Niner? Will someone from Niner give us an answer?

I hope they put it back or maybe a Rockshox pike problem?

I would rather buy this with a pike than the new "par excellance" 100mm RS fork that costs a grip.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I got some info on this issue. I was told by Niner personnel that the reason for this is the pike. From what I was told supply issues from RS is making it hard for Niner to offer this. Seems that RS did not anticipate the Pike doing this well and need to ramp up production to fill demand. Niner told me they want to make sure they can supply it to customers without heavy delays. SO lets hope RS can get this production on the up and up. I sure bet RS has put a huge dent into the FOX brand like they never saw coming with this Pike...

Niner, if I am wrong feel free to correct my understanding.

29ers Only.
    Hey guys sorry we were so quite on this. The builds you saw were posted a little premature and were taken down.

The new Star Builds are up today and you can see we have a lot more to offer. Yes Jet 9's with Pikes are available now in a few different Star Builds.

Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes View Post
    The new Star Builds are up today and you can see we have a lot more to offer. Yes Jet 9's with Pikes are available now in a few different Star Builds.
    Question for you all at Niner...
    I went to see what you are talking about. I like the new color graphite yellow. So the green and all black frame are history?

My other question is the pike. You said the pikes are available in few different star builds. However, the website only says the pike is available in the 5 star XX1 build only. What are the other "different star builds" available with the Pikes?

29ers Only.
    Question for you all at Niner...
    I went to see what you are talking about. I like the new color graphite yellow. So the green and all black frame are history?

My other question is the pike. You said the pikes are available in few different star builds. However, the website only says the pike is available in the 5 star XX1 build only. What are the other "different star builds" available with the Pikes?

Green and Black is out and Carbon/Niner Red or Blaze/Graphite is in for the Jet 9 RDO.

There is Jet 9 Carbon 4 Star Build with the Pike as well.

Niner Bikes

Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I noticed "Niner AM Carbon" wheels on the Rip builds. What're the specs? I don't see them listed anywhere, on their own.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I noticed "Niner AM Carbon" wheels on the Rip builds. What're the specs? I don't see them listed anywhere, on their own.
    Saw that too, are they doing their own wheels now in addition to bars, stems, and posts?