mtbr member
    Nov 2010

New Air 9 vs. New EMD

Can somebody please tell me the difference between these two frames? I currently ride the older scandium version of the Air 9 and will be upgrading next season. The only difference I can see between the new frames is the BB differences. Other than that, I may end up just getting the EMD to save $300+ on my new build. What are the differences between the frames other than the BB?
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

Fat & Single
    The Air9 is lighter.... not sure by how much though.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    May 2012
    according to the niner rep in my area they have different headtubes, seat stays, cahinstays, bb shell. Apparently the seat stays and chain stays are butted and hydroformed for better compliance and stiffness and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleForScience View Post
    according to the niner rep in my area they have different headtubes, seat stays, cahinstays, bb shell. Apparently the seat stays and chain stays are butted and hydroformed for better compliance and stiffness and such.

So you're saying the EMD is not all Hydroformed? That would make sense between the two prob.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have owned both, the AIR9 rides MUCH better IMHO. The EMD and AIR9 both have virtually the same (hydroformed) front triangle. Differences are smoothed welds, BB, and rear triangle.

I had the exact same component (XT w/ SID fork) package on both bikes and the AIR9 felt way more 'snappy' and alive. I actually dumped the EMD pretty fast....didn't care for it much.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I had an older EMD (2010?). I sold it because the ride was too harsh. It killed me over rougher trails. Is the ride quality of the Air9 different? Or has the ride quality of the EMD improved?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I bought a brand new Air 9 frame from Tree Fort Bikes for $505 about 2 months ago. They were price matching another company, honestly can't remember who. Might not be able to get the same deal now but I wanted to let you know that it's possible to find them around the EMD price.