trail "cleaner"
    Jan 2004

new 29 x 2.6" tires on RIP's and JET's RDO's

Hey gang, anyone out there try the new 2.6" tires that are coming out? Specifically, the new Nobby Nic 2.6" for now and Maxxis shortly. I am thinking the 29 x 2.6 would make the "older" RIP RDO and JET RDO an awesome trail "Crusher"....

mtbr member
    May 2012
    It seems like that would put the BB really low. And I think that the benefit of the wide tires would start to diminish below 2.8". You would be loosing roll-over and width. Seems like the worst of both worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

trail "cleaner"
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleForScience View Post
    It seems like that would put the BB really low. And I think that the benefit of the wide tires would start to diminish below 2.8". You would be loosing roll-over and width. Seems like the worst of both worlds.
    Uh.... did you even read the title of this thread? Sorry but 29" x 2.6" is going to roll over just about anything and the BB will actually be higher.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycler View Post
    Uh.... did you even read the title of this thread? Sorry but 29" x 2.6" is going to roll over just about anything and the BB will actually be higher.
    I sure did but I read it as 27.5 x 2.6. My bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

Chilling out
    I don't know how the older frames would work out, but I gotta think it's possible they'd work on the 2017 releases. I just put 27.5x3.25" Vee Trax Fatty on my RIP9 and the work fine, no clearance problems. Not a lot of excess in the frame (chainstay) laterally but a lot more vertically ... in fact more vertical clearance in the frame than the Lyrix fork.

Moderator Moderator
    Hey gang, anyone out there try the new 2.6" tires that are coming out? Specifically, the new Nobby Nic 2.6" for now and Maxxis shortly. I am thinking the 29 x 2.6 would make the "older" RIP RDO and JET RDO an awesome trail "Crusher"....
    I just picked up a pair of Schwalbe Nobby Nic Trailstar 29x2.6's from https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t...obby_nic_hs463 so my plan is to see how they fit on my bikes and I can report back next week.
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thank you. I read his post and was worried that my understanding of bike geometry was gravely erroneous.

mtbr member
    On my 2014 J RDO, I doubt the fit. Just doesnt have the clearance of a MCR frame... Might work there.
    Ive got a 2.35 Geax Sturdy (excellent tire) and thats about max with a little margin.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I think 29x2.6 on the previous gen Jet 9 rdo would be pushing it for clearance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Even the 29 x 2.35 Ikon in the rear on the new 2017 Jet 9 RDO is tight. I noticed some slight rubbing on the chainstay. Maybe I got a branch or rock stuck in there or maybe my wheel flexes just enough to brush the chainstay, not sure. I bumped down to a 2.25 Ardent. This bike still has much better rear clearance than the Ripley LS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by matixsnow View Post
    Even the 29 x 2.35 Ikon in the rear on the new 2017 Jet 9 RDO is tight. I noticed some slight rubbing on the chainstay. Maybe I got a branch or rock stuck in there or maybe my wheel flexes just enough to brush the chainstay, not sure. I bumped down to a 2.25 Ardent. This bike still has much better rear clearance than the Ripley LS.
    The only tire I've had rub the chainstays on my 2017 Jet has been the 27.5x3.0 Nobby Nic, and that is during g-outs. I've had plenty of clearance with 29er tires. This includes ikon 2.35, minion ss 2.3, and minion dhrII 2.3. Soon I will try the ardent race 2.35 as well.

trail "cleaner"
    Jan 2004
    I am currently running WTB Trailblazer 27.5 x 2.8" on my JET RDO with plenty of room. On my other JET Carbon I am running the MAXXIS Ikon 29 x 2.35 on I30 rims with loads of room. This is part of the reason why I started this thread... Waiting for 2Melow to report back :-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Word. There is decent room with my Ikon 29 x 2.35. Maybe I just got a rock or branch stuck in there. Good to hear the DHR 2.3 fits well!

Moderator Moderator
    Hi all,

OK got these mounted finally on my 38mm wide carbon rims. Not sure I would go on a wider rim personally. The new Stans Flow MK3 I think is the ideal rim for this tire.

RIP9 RDO and RIP9 Carbon images are below. This tire will work on the earlier 125mm era bikes but might have some rubbing in aggressive situations. Several mm's of clearance all the way around. "I'd ride that" seems to be the consensus in the office here, but we ride mountain west conditions with very little mud.

JET9 RDO/Carbon - Earlier 100mm bikes we feel this tire is too tight with just 1-2mm of clearance.

Let me know if you have further questions, happy to help!

Cheers,

Brett
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new 29 x 2.6" tires on RIP's and JET's RDO's-01jet9rdooo.jpg  

new 29 x 2.6" tires on RIP's and JET's RDO's-01jet9rdooooooo.jpg  

new 29 x 2.6" tires on RIP's and JET's RDO's-01rip9alllloy.jpg  

new 29 x 2.6" tires on RIP's and JET's RDO's-001rip9allloy.jpg  

new 29 x 2.6" tires on RIP's and JET's RDO's-01irip9alloy.jpg  

new 29 x 2.6" tires on RIP's and JET's RDO's-0111rip9rdo.jpg  

new 29 x 2.6" tires on RIP's and JET's RDO's-01rip9rdooooo1.jpg  

Front Range Forum Moderator

trail "cleaner"
    Jan 2004
    Excellent! Thanks Brett. Looks like I can go this route on one of my RIP RDO's then. My next question for you after you get some saddle time in is how well that Trailstar compound holds out. In my experience, the knobs would rip right off on our AZ chunk.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Any experience with 125mm Alu RIP? I will run 2.6 NN in front and like to try in rear too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Looks pretty close on that white RIP RDO. On my 1st gen RIP RDO I'm running a 29x2.4 Goma- which is a massive tire, especially on my on my ARC30 rims- and clearance is good, but I wouldn't want to go much wider.

29er zealot
    Any idea if these would fit on the new Jet9 RDO?

mtbr member
    I'll be trying it once my new jet shows up

29er zealot
    Thanks, I'm tempted to just go ahead and order one and use it on the front, but test it out on the rear. Let me know how it goes as I'm still waffling

mtbr member
    I should have my bike in hand by the end of next week. A buddy of mine already runs the NN 2.6 so once I see him I'll give her ago

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    No way will that fit on the rear of the new jet 9 rdo. Even the Ikon 2.35 fits, but in my mind I would still like more room. I'm gonna run a 2.25 Ardent for a bit and see how I like it. The tire I really want to try is the 2.3 DHR II. I'd like to see how much clearance exists with this tire.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads up! I thought it had a chance since they advertise 2.5 fitting. Oh well, I love it plus anyways!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yeah, the 2.5 seems a bit off. I like to have clearance. For me it seems like max is 2.35.

29er zealot
    It's funny to see how differently people view the same bike. I think there is a ton of clearance with the ikon 2.35, and I'm riding in the red clay and rock of the southeast appalachians.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Interesting. I wonder if different frame sizes have slightly different clearance? Post a picture of your tire clearance. I'd like to compare to my XL frame.

29er zealot
    I just measured tire clearance on the back with a 2.35 Ikon. 14mm each side by the seat stays. 10mm and 11mm on chainstays.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yeah, for me its the chainstays. I can't quite fit a 10mm allen key between the chainstay and the tire knobs on a 2.25 Ardent. I believe the Ikon 2.35 is a slightly bigger tire.

29er zealot
    My concern after looking more closely is tire height. The bridge is probably closer than the stays. When I end up getting a 2.6 I'll attempt a mount up in the rear.

mtbr member
    29x2.6 Nobby Nic, 30mm internal rims, Small 2015 Jet Carbon. No clearance issues.

new 29 x 2.6" tires on RIP's and JET's RDO's-jet.jpg

trail "cleaner"
    Jan 2004
    looks great. Spent anytime on the trails yet with them?

mtbr member
    looks great. Spent anytime on the trails yet with them?
    The Jet 9 above is my wife's bike. She really liked the traction, but since this is her race bike she asked me to put on some lighter and faster tires.

I rode the 2.6 for a while on my ROS 9. They are perfect tires for a hardtail on my local trails. Lots of traction, fairly light, and roll well considering how much grip they have.

trail "cleaner"
    Jan 2004
    I have been running the Trailstar version of these up front on one of my RIP RDO's and absolutely love it. I'm on the fence as to which compound to go with for the back. Not sure the Pacestar compound will give me the traction I'm looking for on the AZ rocky chunk. Has anyone used these in really rocky terrain for the rear tire?

Dave
    Hey AZmtncycler retiree, we need to ride sometime. I just did the 27.5 x 2.8 Icon+ on my new carbon internal 30mm wide Endroworx wheelset. WOW what a difference. Gets up in the air too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new 29 x 2.6" tires on RIP's and JET's RDO's-air.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    I need to ride more and work less.

FNG
    I have a 2015 Jet 9 Carbon. should I be able to fit a 2.35" Ardent Race Rear? Have a 2.25" Ardent Race Rear on there now, but would like more volume and lower pressure if I can pull this size off with proper clearance. Also looking at going to the Minion DHR2 2.3" for the front, over the Ardent 2.25" Front that's on there now. I don't like the sketchy transition when starting to lean... I've almost lost the front too many times now, and can't stand that.

Also, I have Stans Arch Mk3 rims, with an internal 26mm I believe... are they wide enough to run the new tires I am mentioning, properly? Could I even maybe step up to the 2.4"WT DHR2 safely? Would it even be worth it?

Thanks in advance for the replies, as I don't have the spare coin to experiment with trial and error on pricey tires at the moment.

trail "cleaner"
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HD1911 View Post
    I have a 2015 Jet 9 Carbon. should I be able to fit a 2.35" Ardent Race Rear? Have a 2.25" Ardent Race Rear on there now, but would like more volume and lower pressure if I can pull this size off with proper clearance. Also looking at going to the Minion DHR2 2.3" for the front, over the Ardent 2.25" Front that's on there now. I don't like the sketchy transition when starting to lean... I've almost lost the front too many times now, and can't stand that.

Also, I have Stans Arch Mk3 rims, with an internal 26mm I believe... are they wide enough to run the new tires I am mentioning, properly? Could I even maybe step up to the 2.4"WT DHR2 safely? Would it even be worth it?

Thanks in advance for the replies, as I don't have the spare coin to experiment with trial and error on pricey tires at the moment.

No problem with the 2.35 Ardent in the rear. I run 2.4" without any problem. I've also ran Maxxis Icon 2.35 with plenty of clearance. Your rims are fine. Put some real meats on that bike and start rippin!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    So did anyone ever try the 2.6 on the new Jet?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    So did anyone ever try the 2.6 on the new Jet?