mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Need advise, Going from Jet9 RDO to RIP9, WFO???

I needs some advise since I don't really have a stocking dealer in my area. Thinking of trading in my Jet9 RDO for something a little more rugged.

My choices are:

Rip9 Alloy
    Rip9 Carbon
    WFO Alloy.

Haven't ridden a bike with more travel than my Jet9 RDO so I was wondering how much difference it would be to go to the new WFO?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by rdsmith24 View Post
    I needs some advise since I don't really have a stocking dealer in my area. Thinking of trading in my Jet9 RDO for something a little more rugged.

My choices are:

Rip9 Alloy
    Rip9 Carbon
    WFO Alloy.

Haven't ridden a bike with more travel than my Jet9 RDO so I was wondering how much difference it would be to go to the new WFO?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
    1st question , will this be replacing the Jet9 RDO, Or replacing it ?

I have always said if you have to ask Rip9 or WFO it is because you are not a WFO rider.

A WFO rider like to launch off everything.

A Jet9 RDO is a very fast bike & can handle a lot more ruff than most people would think, A WFO will be much slower if you don't have the right trails for it. ( Lots of worth while down hill ) IMO

The lines have been blurred a little with the New WFO being much lighter than the older 1 & more light weight ( Strong ) parts to keep it light.

But the fact remains that a good long travel bike can suck the life & fun out of an easy trail, They are just to good at effectively smoothing out the trail.

A well setup Rip9 will handle more than what 95% of riders could throw at it anyway.

A Rip9 RDO on the other hand will all but match the Jet9 RDO everywhere the Jet9 RDO is great, However the ruffer it is, Or the steeper down hill it gets the more the Rip9 RDO will open the gap.

On the surface of it, If you are keeping the Jet9 RDO then going with a WFO looks smarter.

Here is something that happened 2 weeks ago when I was going riding with a friend, We were both going to travel out of town to meet at a MTB to ride.

It had been wet & we were wanting to do shuttle runs & knew that because the tracks were damp if it rained again the shuttle would stop.

He has a Giant Glory, A old Giant rain & a 650b Giant anthem, I had my Rip9 RDO.

So I had the Right bike no matter what happened, He could only take 1 bike, If he took the Glory & the shuttles stopped running there would have been no point ridding with him.

If he took the Anthem & the shuttles were running there would have been no point ridding with him ( ( He hates the Anthem Down hill )

If he took the Reign well it wouldn't matter were we rode I would have to wait for him.

So He took the Glory & the shuttle was running all day & The Rip9 still kicked his butt.

We have always been very close in speed & although when I went in front he almost kept up apart form his 2 crashes, When He went in front he was holding me up big time.

I must have had much more trust in my bike than he did on his.

Just something to think about.
    So even for the shuttle

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Muzzanic,

My Jet9 RDO frame is cracked in several places. I have only had it for 18 months and I mostly ride it on what I would consider trails suitable for and XC bike. However, it broke and I can get it replaced or should I upgrade it to an all mountain? My thinking is that the all mountain should be able to take more abuse over the Jet9 RDO.

I had been told that a long travel bike like the WFO was something completely different by a sales guy. He never stated why but you mentioned "suck the life" out of the trails. Could you expand on that?

Thanks

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by rdsmith24 View Post
    Muzzanic,

My Jet9 RDO frame is cracked in several places. I have only had it for 18 months and I mostly ride it on what I would consider trails suitable for and XC bike. However, it broke and I can get it replaced or should I upgrade it to an all mountain? My thinking is that the all mountain should be able to take more abuse over the Jet9 RDO.

I had been told that a long travel bike like the WFO was something completely different by a sales guy. He never stated why but you mentioned "suck the life" out of the trails. Could you expand on that?

Thanks
    Well just think what it would be like if you had a friend turn up in the latest & greatest off road 4x4 & said you could have a go with it then put a 3 inch high box of eggs on the drive way & said there run that over, How would that make you feel ?? ( rater let down )??.

Think of your favorite trail on the Jet9 RDO & then think how it would feel if you rode it 10 MPH slower, The thing is the WFO will be slower on anything other than down hill than the Jet9 RDO.

On down hill with the WFO you will need to be going 5 to10 MPH faster to feel like you are ridding harder than on the Jet9 RDO, On a ruff steep downhill you can get much more than 10 MPH in places on a bike like the WFO over the Jet9 RDO & thus making it a lot of fun if you want to push yourself that hard.

It sounds to me that the Rip9 RDO will suit you better, It will still be just as fast as your Jet9 RDO in most places ( & close on very steep long fire roads ) & then if you do find yourself on rather ruff trails then you will find out Why Rip9 riders like them so much.

I hope this helps

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I just went 12 Jet9Rdo to Rip9Rdo and could not be more happy. Gave up very little on the ups and it beats me up a ton less on the downs especially where chunky. The Jet 9 Rdo was the fastest bike I have ever ridden and when the RipRdo came out I thought there was too much cross over. After riding both they can be built very close but I think the Rip just gives so much more comfort and flexibility. My only two issues with the Jet9Rdo were jumping (never felt natural even on small airs) and rough long downs seemed to beat me up and give me arm pump no matter what I tried with the suspension. The Rip fixed both easily and I gave up little.

Rip9Rdo with a Pike and lite wheels will do everything but race against a hard tail and with decent rubber will work on every trail for me on So Ut or Moab.

mtbr member
    Did it crack near the shock?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Sounds like you reached the limits of what a jet RDO can do. Never rode the WTO but demoed the rip RDO and bought the rip alloy. Very pleased with pedaling manors. I found the rip to handle tight singletrack very well also.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    All I can add is that I cracked my Jet 9 RDO & was offered the Rip 9 RDO as a replacement. I was able to ride a demo Rip 9 alloy before deciding and was amazed at how close it was to my Jet in climbing. Rode through the rough stuff even better. If I had to purchase the bike I would go with Muzzanic's advice & buy the Rip alloy and spend the extra money on carbon wheels. But, since I get the Rip RDO as a replacement, I guess I'm stuck with it
    Single Track Rules!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Got to go with the RDO in your case for sure. I love my carbon wheels. So much better than my old bontrager rhyth pro's.

What fork will you be using with the rip?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    Got to go with the RDO in your case for sure. I love my carbon wheels. So much better than my old bontrager rhyth pro's.

What fork will you be using with the rip?
    Was lucky enough to have bought a Revelation RCT3 Dual Air 120mm for my Jet RDO. Found out that it has a spacer in it that I can remove to make it 140mm which should be perfect for the Rip! Love this fork.
    Single Track Rules!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Cool. Cheap to get the 140 travel too. I liked that fork also on the demo bike I rode. At this point I don't feel a reason to reduce travel to 130 like I was going to. I do the the rock shox stuff better than my previous fox stuff. I need to contact rock shox about the availability if the debon air upgrade
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    I have a Jet RDO and a new WFO. The WFO is a totally different animal. The two bikes together form a quiver that covers A-Z. I have almost no seat time on the WFO so far (just received it Tuesday and built it up yesterday), but the general geometry and feel is night and day. It replaced my 2010 RIP.

The main question for you is what type of riding do you do most of the time. How much descending, climbing, drops, jumps, rocks, berms.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thank you all for your advise. Since I'm located in Texas where most of the trails I ride are relatively flat, I decided to go with the RIP9 RDO.

Seems that everyone I is also recommending the Rock Shox Pike RCT3 as well in 140mm.

My Jet9 RDO was cracked on the rear triangle just back from the lower swing are mount, behind the rear derailleur, and other place that the bike mechanic saw.

Thanks to everyone who gave advise....it was well appreciated.