Carbon & Ti rule

MY Tang 09 Rip9 Build

My LGE Rip9 in Tang

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Note I didn't get time to cut the steerer before I left.

Build:
    Large Tang Rip9

Shimano XTR 180mm cranks
    Gravity Dropper 4 Inch Multi seat post
    FSA OS99 stem
    FSA K force XC carbon Raiser bar
    Sram XO triggers
    Avid Elixir CR 203 F& 185R brakes
    Sram matchmaker
    Sram 990 cassette 11-34
    Sram XO rear mech
    Shimano XTR front mech
    KMC chain ( Gold Ano )
    OTA Alloy cables ( Gold Ano )
    Wheels (Gold Hope 2 hubs, Silver spokes) laced to Stan's Arch hoops with Maxxis cross+mark 2.1 tyres setup tubeless with yellow tape and valve
    2nd set of wheels (Gold Hope 2 hubs, Silver spokes) laced to Stan's Flow hoops with
    Maxxis Igniter tires setup tubeless with yellow tape and valve
    Saddle -SLR XC Kevlar
    Xpedo Ti/Ti pedals
    Fork 2010 Fox F29 RL 120mm with 15mm T/A ( for those that want to know this fork works much better than the QR fork I had on it ) It just holds line much better through the rough allot of money but well worth it. ( Don't listen to the people that say it is not much better than the STD QR ) Too many people have to much to say about some thing they have not tryed.

29 lb
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by muzzanic; 08-11-2009 at 02:40 AM.
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

banned
    Sep 2007
    Lemme know how that seat feels on a 4 hour ride. Nice build. What does it weigh? Under or over 30?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Lemme know how that seat feels on a 4 hour ride. Nice build. What does it weigh? Under or over 30?
    I have the same seat on my Jet9 & Cervelo, its ok on all day rides on both

It came out bang on 29 lb
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic
    I have the same seat on my Jet9 & Cervelo, its ok on all day rides on both

It came out bang on 29 lb
    Very, very nice! Now go ride the crap out of it, flog it, and in general use it as it was meant to be used.

Carbon & Ti rule

09 Rip9 is a Nice ride.

Well I just got back from a ride that I have been riding my Jet9 at least once a week for the last 4 months.

So here goes,The Rip is a very good solid riding bike & is speced very much the same as my Jet9.

My thoughts: The Rip9 will out climb the Jet9,You can't feel any differance in weight between the 2 bikes on the trail but with the Rip9 the bottom bracket is so solid that you can feel all the power going to the rear wheel & not being soaked up with bottom bracket flex.The exta travel didn't seem to soak up any more power than on the Jet9.

As for the handling between the 2 bikes the Rip9 is solid & does every thing right.
    My Jet9 has been set up with a 100mm fork ( 15mm TA ) so has a slacker head angle than the Rip9 with the 120mm fork (approx half a deg ) so turn in much the same,How much better did it handle than the Jet9?

Well a bit but I would say that the there was a bigger differance changing the Jet9 from 100mm Manitou QR fork & cheap DT Swiss wheels to a Fox F29 RLC Fit 100mm with 15mm TA & Stans Flow rims with Hope Pro 2 hubs & DT Swiss spokes than the differance between the up graded Jet9 & The 09 Rip9.

I will add more info when I have time but will answer any questions.

Closekids.com
    As much as it pains be to say, the Tang looks really good. A bit Okie State, but at least it is not burnt orange.

Carbon & Ti rule

I cant wait for the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner
    As much as it pains be to say, the Tang looks really good. A bit Okie State, but at least it is not burnt orange.
    Yes I'm very happy with it.

I have to say to anyone looking to buy a Tang Rip9 that they look even better in real life For some reason & have not yet seen a photo that makes the colour look anywere near as good as it is.

banned
    Sep 2007
    orange with gold pearl highlights is hard to capture with a camera. Pearl high lights in general are hard to capture.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner
    Burnt orange is HOT in central Texas! UT!

Carbon & Ti rule

12 hour Relay Race

Well off to Taupo tomorrow night for a 12 hour MTB relay race on Saturday starts at 10.30 am & finishes at 10.30 pm 3500 riders entered 5 people per team 8km ( 5 mile ) laps 30% on grass through camp sites & the rest well groomed dirt track through bush.

The corse is easy with only 3 places were you may get 1 foot of air,3 climbs that are worth a mention the rest is just rolling country & 2 short fast down hill sections, No roots or rutts, Last year 1 team did it on road bikes.

The only thing on this corse to slow you down is the nice female butts You know the ones when the legs are willing but the mind just wont let you
    The 12 hour solo females are the best Well you have to stay & talk to them they are out there for a long time

The forcast is for rain, So I will dust off the Jet9 & do lap about with the 09 Rip9 & see how they compair, Other than the rain there is nothing on the corse that should on paper make the Rip9 faster than the Jet9 so im keen to see how close they are.
    Last edited by muzzanic; 09-10-2009 at 01:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Beautiful bike.. since you like both the ignitor and the crossmark can you give the pros and cons of each?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Well should get some good photo's this weeked I'm off with 11 others to ride the Queen Charlottte track in the South Island.

I have never done this ride before but I'm told the views are stunning, We get dropped off to the track by ferry so that is a bit different aswell.

I will tell more after the trip.

http://www.queencharlottetrack.co.nz...FY0vpAod6kEHpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MY Tang 09 Rip9 Build-mtb-si-072a.jpg  

Last edited by muzzanic; 11-24-2009 at 01:40 AM.

mtbr member
    I knew I should have gotten the Tang!

Very nice looking bike, I can't wait to finish my RIP.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun
    I knew I should have gotten the Tang!

Very nice looking bike, I can't wait to finish my RIP.
    They look better than any photo I have seen to, What colour did you go for ?

24-36-48
    You will love it We did the Queen Charlotte two years ago and enjoyed every minute

Carbon & Ti rule
    Yes I have been told by many don't put your head down & ride fast, Sit up & injoy so thats what I will do.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Are you running a tapered steerer tube fork? Can hardly see what all the fuss was about, not really noticeable...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic
    They look better than any photo I have seen to, What colour did you go for ?
    I got the Brown Ano. I love the brown, but that Orange is awesome.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by NoWay Ray
    Are you running a tapered steerer tube fork? Can hardly see what all the fuss was about, not really noticeable...
    Hi yes it is the tapered steerer fork.

Carbon & Ti rule
    MY Tang 09 Rip9 Build-mtb-si-013.jpg

Well it was a great trip.

The legs met there match.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MY Tang 09 Rip9 Build-mtb-si-059a.jpg  

MY Tang 09 Rip9 Build-mtb-si-061a.jpg  

MY Tang 09 Rip9 Build-mtb-si-042a.jpg  

MY Tang 09 Rip9 Build-mtb-si-037a.jpg  

MY Tang 09 Rip9 Build-mtb-si-040a.jpg  

MY Tang 09 Rip9 Build-mtb-si-022a.jpg  

MY Tang 09 Rip9 Build-mtb-si-023a.jpg  

MY Tang 09 Rip9 Build-mtb-si-015.jpg  

Last edited by muzzanic; 11-26-2009 at 01:36 AM.

24-36-48
    pics, please...

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by ellen_muenchen
    pics, please...
    I will have to sort through them tonight.

Well I didn't feel the love with the 4 big hills but the down hills Well the Rip9 was built for them, often above 50kmph

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    if not for this thread , i wont know abt the Queen....now i must add this to my must-go list one day....so did u follow the tour agent or did u do it unguided?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by mojak
    if not for this thread , i wont know abt the Queen....now i must add this to my must-go list one day....so did u follow the tour agent or did u do it unguided?
    Hi we went unguided, One of my friends did it 2 years ago & set up this trip.

There were 12 of us that did it from our club,3 woman,my friends 10 year old boy ( A very good rider for his age Winning 6 hour relay races wit 2 of his mates in under 15's ) & of corse the 8 guys.

It is not a ride to put your head down & go for it, There is just to much to look at.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    thanks muzz, now i just need to convince my wife to go there one day...

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by mojak
    thanks muzz, now i just need to convince my wife to go there one day...
    Hi well 1 of the first things you need is the MTB bible, http://www.kennett.co.nz/ the book is Classic New Zealand Mountain bike rides it is bySimon,Jonathan & Paul Kennett

408 pages of MTB tracks listed by area has grades KM how to find them & what they are like,such a good book when you first get it but not long after that you just feel like you are missing out on riding some realy good tracks.

There email is info@kennet.co.nz

I will put up more photo's I have 73 from the trip & our group has over 700 so will take some time to pick through them.

Members who have read this thread: 0