Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bike rider

My SIR 9 Build begins.

Well I went and got a SIR 9. I've had a 13lb Air 9 Carbon and I really liked it. I was going to build it even lighter but I decided to do a full custom WW Carbon build. I wanted another SS and one of my favorite riding bikes that I've ever owned was a steel Ritchey so I got a SIR 9. I switched the stickers on my Manitou Tower Pro fork to grey to match the logos on the frame. I'll update as parts come in. The cranks are on 2 week back order and I'm building new wheels but here is the frame and fork.

I Love these bottle cage bolts!

In the background is my Jet 9, my wife's On One Lurcher Carbon SS and my 2013 Marin Team DH bike.

More updates coming as soon as stuff arrives. Stay tuned.
    I got some pretty decent Niners!

bike rider
    Well the steerer tube on the fork is too short. I had this fork on my Air 9 Carbon with a 10mm spacer but since it has an internal headset the overall stack was way shorter so I just ordered another fork. Hopefully it's here soon. Bummer but that's how it goes sometime. Anyone wanna buy a Tower Pro?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Nice tidy garage, Now I wont be able to show my wife this bike unless you take photos of the bike being built on the coffee table.

I tell my wife everyone builds there bikes on the coffee table in front of TV.

Looking forward to seeing the build.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkock View Post
    Anyone wanna buy a Tower Pro?
    So you are trying to flog off a fork with custom Niner stickers and a too short steerer tube?!?!?

Actually I might be interested but I am overseas so it may not be worth the cost or hassle.

What length is the steerer?

bike rider
    It's 6.5 Inches. It fit an Air 9 Carbon with a 10mm spacer perfect. I think a friend wants it. I was kinda kidding.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkock View Post
    It's 6.5 Inches. It fit an Air 9 Carbon with a 10mm spacer perfect. I think a friend wants it. I was kinda kidding.
    Yeah I kinda figured that. Also that is a real short steerer. I need to find a cheap 100mm travel tapered fork and some cheap wheels so I can give my old large Jet 9 alloy to my son. I need about 180mm or a bit over 7" as a minimum.

Preferably the cheap forks and wheels will already be in Australia if anyone can help out.

mtbr member
    Tried a low stack dust cap or syntace stem with low stack?

bike rider
    Got another Tower Pro on the way. They're so cheap and good I can't get enough.

bike rider
    Well usually whenever I build a new bike it rains for three weeks and right about now I would trade that for this, yesterday I suffered a Level 2 Calf Muscle Tear and it looks like I'll be off the bike for at least 2 months. I have an AngelFire DH trip planned June 13th.-18th. and a Whistler DH trip planned for the entire month of July. I will totally give up the AngelFire trip so I can get back to Whistler in July. I'll still keep the build updates coming on this SIR so stay tuned a lot of stuff has come in I just need pictures.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    can't wait to see the final build. I hope you customize the new fork like you did the old one. I would love to jump on a SIR9 build but ill enjoy the One9 for a while I think.

bummer about the injury but hopefully a quick recovery will get you ready for your trip/s. good luck!

mtbr member
    Where do you get your fork decals done?

bike rider
    Fork decals are on eBay. Just search Niner stickers. You get like 19 stickers for $12.

bike rider
    Now that I'm injured I had time to take and load some more build pics. Here is the frame, bottle cage bolts, EBB, Maxle and seatpost clamp weighed together. Getting this thing below 20lbs. with a suspension fork should be a challenge but I'm up for it.

Manitou Tower Pro 100mm with uncut steerer tube.

KCNC Ti Pro Lite Scandium seatpost 27.2mm x 400mm. I will cut this shorter once I get the height set.

Endless 17t alloy cog.

This is a Halo bolt on front skewer with a Control Tech Titanium rod. I may use this or a lighter one.

Front Formula R1 Racing brake all black uncut to length.

Rear Formula R1 Racing brake all black uncut to length.

KCNC foam grips with bar end plugs.

Parts of Passion 10mm headset spacer.

Fouriers top cap and alloy bolt.

Duke alloy tubeless valves with Purely Custom lock washers and KCNC caps.

Alloy brake mounting bolts. You can only use these on post mount brakes.

Ashima alloy rotor bolts.

Control Tech Race SL front bolt on skewer. I may use this one.

Purely Custom singlespeed cassette spacers and yes they say Mr.Kock on them.

Uno 80mm stem with Black Titanium bolts from Toronto Cycles and eBay 680mm carbon bar.

KMC X10SL chain singlespeed length.

Circus Monkey front hub 32h.

I'll post more when the parts come in. I'm still waiting on RaceFace Next SL cranks (backorder), American Classic 101 rims (today or tomorrow), white carbon saddles (for both Niners on their way) and a CaneCreek 110 headset. This frame came with a Niner headset but the stack height is high and the 110 looks so cool.

Bicycle Addict
    If you get this down below 20 pounds, you are amazing. My SIR with fork weighs about 23 pounds and I have considerably light parts on it.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

bike rider
    Yeah my Jet 9 with gears (1 X 10) and a almost 8lb. frame weighs 21lbs. 11oz. and I'm putting the exact same parts on it minus the gears, cassette, shifter, derailleur, cable, shorter chain (it will be SS) so the frame weighs almost 3lbs. less. It's gonna be fun. My rims came in yesterday and AC says they weigh 381g a piece so when something is a little lighter than expected it's a nice little suprise.

These are American Classic 101 rims. I have these on my Jet 9 and I really like them. After being on Crests for a while these are noticeably stiffer at the same weight.

I was going to go with a Chris King or CaneCreek headset but the Niner one that came with the frame isn't much heavier (and it says Niner on it) so I'm sticking with it. This is with baseplate and all.

Bicycle Addict
    I didn't realize you were the sub 13# AIR 9 C guy out of Austin. Show me your ways!
    Bearded Women Racing

bike rider
    HaHa thanks. I'm out of Houston but I ride so much in Austin people think I live there. Even people that work at restaurants there. Got my saddle in today so now I'm just waiting on RaceFace.

bike rider
    Got some more stuff in. KCNC Scxandium Ti Pro Lite seatpost, Colnago saddle (I got one for my Jet 9 too) Formula R1 Racing brakes and KCNC grips (10g).

Here is my SIR and my Jet 9 together. Just waiting for some RaceFace Next SL cranks and gotta build some wheels.

bike rider
    Here are both my SIR 9 and Jet 9 together.

bike rider
    Well here is the rear tire for my Sir and I got another one for my Jet 9. The lighter one is going on the Sir. These are supposed to weigh 435g so when they're lighter it's good. These are Schwalbe Thunder Burt's 2.1" I've had a few years on Furious Fred's and these have way more tread.

Bicycle Addict
    What bottom bracket are you going to use?
    Bearded Women Racing

bike rider
    It's the RaceFace BSA 68/73 for the Next SL's.

mtbr member
    Thunder Burts are actually quite a good tyre!

bike rider
    Yeah I thought they would be way better than the Freds. Too bad I don't get to ride until the end of May.

bike rider
    Finally got the wheels built. Devyn at RaceFace said I should get my cranks next Thursday.

Front wheel with Stans yellow tape and valves.

Rear wheel with yellow tape and valves.

Endless 17t cog and Purely Custom spacers with my name on the big one.

AC valves and KCNC caps.

Top cap shot.

Gonna have a matching pair soon.

My garage as it sits right now. The DH bikes gets to fly free for the first time in 2014 starting June 13th. in AngelFire NM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast