mtbr member

My rip9 lower shock bolt keeps getting loose :-(

Second time this has happened.... I can feel a small clunk when I lift up and set down the rear of the bike by the frame and traced it to the lower shock mount. Last time I applied locktite to the bolt and re-secured it. Any ideas? Is this common? Am I doing something wrong or that could cause it?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Did you use blue or red Loctite ?

mtbr member

Blue

mtbr member

Re: My rip9 lower shock bolt keeps getting loose :-(

My 08 had a locknut. How about yours?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Pull the bolt out & check that the bolt threads have not stretched at the threads, If it is ok put it back in with a new lock nut & blue loctite.

If it has strethed, Replace it fit new lock nut & Blue loctite.

mtbr member

Locknut = yes, thanks everyone ! I'll inspect it closer for stretching, and prob use a new locknut regardless. Any specific torque for that little guy?

mtbr member

Re: My rip9 lower shock bolt keeps getting loose :-(

Quote Originally Posted by slat3dx View Post
    Locknut = yes, thanks everyone ! I'll inspect it closer for stretching, and prob use a new locknut regardless. Any specific torque for that little guy?
    Use a new bolt too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Are you sure it's not a worn out DU bushing in the shock eyelet? It would be kind of strange for the lower mount to be worn out but I know the upper mount on my Jet eats DU bushings at an alarming rate. Replaced it with the RWC needle bearing kit and all is good.

Quote Originally Posted by slat3dx View Post
    Second time this has happened.... I can feel a small clunk when I lift up and set down the rear of the bike by the frame and traced it to the lower shock mount. Last time I applied locktite to the bolt and re-secured it. Any ideas? Is this common? Am I doing something wrong or that could cause it?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by PlanB View Post
    Are you sure it's not a worn out DU bushing in the shock eyelet? It would be kind of strange for the lower mount to be worn out but I know the upper mount on my Jet eats DU bushings at an alarming rate. Replaced it with the RWC needle bearing kit and all is good.
    Yeah, as I read this I was thinking a worn set of bushings might be the problem. If you remove the bolt and wiggle the alloy spacers in the end of the shock they should be tight and difficult or impossible to turn with your fingers. If they are loose or they fall out you might need new mounting hardware. Definitely not unheard of, it's a wear-item.

JMH

mtbr member
    funny you posted this just as i had the same clunk and was a little freaked - took mine to my local and i had the exact same issue - loose lower bolt - maybe its a less than great quality nut - i think i am just going to replace both nut and bolt to be sure.... i dont think its anything else - mine only has 8 or so rides on it....

Carbon & Ti rule
    Often it is just that eveything is settling into the paint & loosens off the nut abit.

But if it comes loose a secound time it pays to have a closer look.

Quote Originally Posted by fatpig View Post
    funny you posted this just as i had the same clunk and was a little freaked - took mine to my local and i had the exact same issue - loose lower bolt - maybe its a less than great quality nut - i think i am just going to replace both nut and bolt to be sure.... i dont think its anything else - mine only has 8 or so rides on it....

mtbr member

Well bearings are tight and solid... Bolt, nut, washers, and lock washer all look fine... I put fresh blue locktite on the bolt, gave it a day to set and tightened it back down good. This is the second time in about 1500 miles so ill keep watch on it and keep riding ;-) maybe call niner if it happens again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Any updates on this?????.... I built up a brand new 2012 rip 9 raw frame and have been having this same issue. About 200 miles on the frame only thus far.

mtbr member

Yeah, sorry... The Blue locktite on the bolt did the trick. Let it dry overnight before putting back... And it hasn't happened since:-)