Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

My RDO Jet freels like my earlier RIP 9

My new ride feels a lot like my old RIP 9 with the 120mm. The RDO is a better climber due to weight but the two bikes are so similar it is strange.

Dirty South Underdog
    Living in Memphis, I've always appreciated the Jet RDO for the way it soaks up the rooty (mostly flat) trails in the area. However, this week, I had the pleasure of flinging it down a 20 minute long descent from the Grand Targhee ski resort. Talk about freakin' awesome ride... I was grinning most of the time (when I wasn't puckering).
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    It is a great bike. It just feels a lot more trail like then the Jet 9 alloy I had...

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    It is a great bike. It just feels a lot more trail like then the Jet 9 alloy I had...
    I have been telling people for a long time, Yes it is faster & a better climber than the Jet9 Alloy.
    But think of it more like a Rip9.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I'm thrilled with it! It is going to be softer and a bike I can use for both trail, cross country races, and endurance events. Plus, the 120mm fork sure is nice. More versatile bike! The cost of entry is steep though...

Carbon & Ti rule
    I'm thrilled with it! It is going to be softer and a bike I can use for both trail, cross country races, and endurance events. Plus, the 120mm fork sure is nice. More versatile bike! The cost of entry is steep though...
    Mine replaced a Jet9 & Rip9 so it worked out cheaper than having both & it also took away the, What bike should I be taking today.

I have many sets of wheels setup with tyres of different size & type, But the lightest ones I have for it are Racing Ralph 2.25 rear & 2.4 front

But I really like it with either the 2.35 Nobby Nic's or the Hans Dumpf's

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I have Maxxis Icon on it and they are slick for trail riding; however, the plan is to race it. I have a race tomorrow but it is supposed to be 98 and I'm losing motivation I may pass....

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have Maxxis Icon on it and they are slick for trail riding; however, the plan is to race it. I have a race tomorrow but it is supposed to be 98 and I'm losing motivation I may pass....
    There will be cold bear at the end

I find that the Racing Ralphs roll much better than the Ikon's & also have a ton more grip, So I will not be going back to them.

My friend rides his Jet9 RDO to work every day on dirt trails all flat & no hard corners & said that he is a fair bit faster on the Racing Ralph's but uses the Ikon's because they last so well.

Edit: Both his wheel sets are the same make/model & year, both new when he got the bike.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Mine replaced a Jet9 & Rip9 so it worked out cheaper than having both & it also took away the, What bike should I be taking today.

I have many sets of wheels setup with tyres of different size & type, But the lightest ones I have for it are Racing Ralph 2.25 rear & 2.4 front

But I really like it with either the 2.35 Nobby Nic's or the Hans Dumpf's
    Hi, have you tried the Nobby Nic on the front and the Racing Ralph on the back, its used commonly on 26'ers over here in Oz?

Do you reckon that combination would work well on a 29'er or are Nobby Nic's front and rear a better combination?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by ozynigma View Post
    Hi, have you tried the Nobby Nic on the front and the Racing Ralph on the back, its used commonly on 26'ers over here in Oz?

Do you reckon that combination would work well on a 29'er or are Nobby Nic's front and rear a better combination?
    Yes I do mix them up a bit & that codoes work well.

I use it quite often.

I like fast down hill runs & will use the more grippy tyre on the back for that because I like to brake late & hard.

MTB B'dos
    Don't know how your trails compare to mine Muzz or if Schwalbe has come out with new compounds for the RR than I've tried or if the 2.4" is so much better than the 2.25", but my experience is the opposite of yours for my trails. I gave a 2.25" original RR a try for a while, on the front and then later on the rear. I just got some Ikons and don't even think about it while I'm on them with regards to grip, cornering etc, front nor rear, while the Ralphs were down right scary upfront and serious work outback on the tech climbs. Wish they made a 2.4" Ikon, with maybe slightly bigger/more pronounced side knobs and that'd be a perfect front tyre.

BTW, send me the wheelset with the Ikons on, I'll surely wear them out for you :-p

I find that the Racing Ralphs roll much better than the Ikon's & also have a ton more grip, So I will not be going back to them.

My friend rides his Jet9 RDO to work every day on dirt trails all flat & no hard corners & said that he is a fair bit faster on the Racing Ralph's but uses the Ikon's because they last so well.

Edit: Both his wheel sets are the same make/model & year, both new when he got the bike.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Always Learning
    Jaybo - congrats on your new found fun factor via the RDO.

I've got to wear out the bikes I already own before I consolidate to such a treat. And since I already have an older RIP 9 with 120mm - I guess I can make do without a new RDO that "feels like my old RIP 9"....

The Nics 2.35 front and rear on a 29"er are the bee's knees...

P1010011

Besides, they make the bike a 29 1/2"er.

Surprising how fast they are. I turn the same 35 minute training lap time with the RIP using 2.35's as I do on my JET with the 2.25's.

JET ready to RACE for 2012

Dirty South Underdog
    There will be cold bear at the end
    Good thing it's not a hot bear. I hear they get cranky.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138 View Post
    Good thing it's not a hot bear. I hear they get cranky.
    Either will make you ride faster

SpamCone
    Jun 2009
    Does anyone have any hits or ways to help me with my Jet9 RDO build? Frame arrives Thursday I have the the Fox 32 float 29 fork, XT drive train, Easton Haven wheels, Thompson elite seat post, syncros stem and Noir handle bars. I think I should be in the 26 pound ballpark. So far figuring out the SRAM PF 30 adapter and spacers seem to be my only question. How many spacers should I use and on which side of crank? Any help or advice would be appreciated!! I sold my RIP 9 for the Jet9 RDO!!!

SpamCone
    Jun 2009
    DO you have any hints for my RDO build coming up? I have seen the Niner video on cabling and that seems pretty easy. My only question is only the SRAM PF 30 adapter for my XT crank. How many spacers should I use and on which side?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SpamCone View Post
    DO you have any hints for my RDO build coming up? I have seen the Niner video on cabling and that seems pretty easy. My only question is only the SRAM PF 30 adapter for my XT crank. How many spacers should I use and on which side?
    The pf30 cups make your Bb a 73mm threaded Bb. So one on the drive side. I hate to ask but this comes up way too often,did you search the forums? Did you read the SRAM directions? Shimano directions? This info is all in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleForScience View Post
    The pf30 cups make your Bb a 73mm threaded Bb. So one on the drive side. I hate to ask but this comes up way too often,did you search the forums? Did you read the SRAM directions? Shimano directions? This info is all in there.
    Yes it will be in there but I would rather ask people that had done it before

I don't use the search funtion much either.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yes I do mix them up a bit & that codoes work well.

I use it quite often.

I like fast down hill runs & will use the more grippy tyre on the back for that because I like to brake late & hard.
    Well thats a bit ironic especially if you mean the RR is the grippy tyre for the back.

Over here people are putting the more aggressive tread of the NN on the front to ensure the front end has grip when cornering and at worst the rear slides a bit.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Well thats a bit ironic especially if you mean the RR is the grippy tyre for the back.

Over here people are putting the more aggressive tread of the NN on the front to ensure the front end has grip when cornering and at worst the rear slides a bit.

Sorry, That wasn't that clear.

Wat I was saying is that for fast down hill i like a grippyer tyre than the RR on the rear.

On fast down hill I will run Nobby Nic 2.35 or Hans Dumpf on the front 2.35 or Ardent 2.4
    & on the rear, either 2.35 Nobby nic or 2.35 Hans Dumpf or 2.2 Rubber Queen,

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Brucebrown,

The cool thing about having two Niners is having two Niners The newer RIP 9 are more all mountain than the Jet 9 RDO. Fantastic machines!
    We have IM's about this in the past but the Jet 9 alloy is a fantastic machine. It isn't as good going downhill but uphill it is apples and apples as well as on the flats. Races are won on the climbs, as you well know, and besides the Jet 9 alloy is a very good descender.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

No so sure

I have been telling people for a long time, Yes it is faster & a better climber than the Jet9 Alloy.
    But think of it more like a Rip9.
    You are the leader of the pack of Jet 9 RDO frames; however, I'm don't agree the RDO is a better climber unless you are referring to really lose climbs. I do agree everywhere else it is better but the Jet 9 alloy is very nice just short an inch of travel. I am betting Niner will extend the travel on the Jet 9 alloy and the difference will be negligible except weight...

Carbon & Ti rule
    You are the leader of the pack of Jet 9 RDO frames; however, I'm don't agree the RDO is a better climber unless you are referring to really lose climbs. I do agree everywhere else it is better but the Jet 9 alloy is very nice just short an inch of travel. I am betting Niner will extend the travel on the Jet 9 alloy and the difference will be negligible except weight...
    Spend a bit more time on your setup then, The RDO is a better climber when setup right.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Even with a 120mm fork you guys don't feel the HA is too steep?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Hmmm...not really

Spend a bit more time on your setup then, The RDO is a better climber when setup right.
    It may feel faster but is isn't. My set up is great but at the end of the day it really is about your pedaling not the difference between an RDO or Jet 9 alloy. I had the same set up on both bikes...just transferred parts. The RDO is a fantastic bike but not heads and tails over other Niner's and brands. Nothing magical to be had...just another plastic mountain bike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast