mtbr member
    Oct 2009

My new Jet 9 RDO

The finest machine on the planet complete with ultralight shadow rider.

My new Jet 9 RDO-imageuploadedbytapatalk1427762716.361697.jpgMy new Jet 9 RDO-imageuploadedbytapatalk1427762759.229989.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carbon & Ti rule
    Nice looking bike, Go have some fun on it.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Too clean. Needs dirt on it. Looks like a prude.

Just kidding, sweet ride dude.

El

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Very cool. Nice to see the yellow blaze in the wild.

I am still torn between the RIP and Jet and could still go either way.

Carbon & Ti rule
    If you are torn, Go for the Rip9 IMO.

If you are torn, Then you are not a hard out racer,

The Jet9 is an awesome bike, But the Rip9 RDO is so close in speed & faster on the ruff & the downs.

Quote Originally Posted by santa_cruzer View Post
    Very cool. Nice to see the yellow blaze in the wild.

I am still torn between the RIP and Jet and could still go either way.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I hear that. I am something of a recovering racer. I still fit in a few marathon XC events each season but I am adjusting to life with two small kids.

I had 4 days last week on a RIP RDO that just got better and better. Such a fun ride.

Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post

The Jet9 is an awesome bike, But the Rip9 RDO is so close in speed & faster on the ruff & the downs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Ride report for the bike?

I just ordered the Jet RDO with the Pike upfront. I am coming from an Epic so excited to have a little more versatile bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I hear that. I am something of a recovering racer. I still fit in a few marathon XC events each season but I am adjusting to life with two small kids.

I had 4 days last week on a RIP RDO that just got better and better. Such a fun ride.
    I think I'm on the same boat as you. Former XC racer, current stage and endurance and future Enduro racer... Just cleaned up my J9RDO to ride for the next 2 weeks, after 2 weeks on the R9RDO. Every time I swap bikes I convince myself that I need both. No clear winner...
    Niner RIP 9 RDO - Matte White/Green
    Niner JET 9 RDO - Niner Green
    Ritchey Cross Pro Break-Away

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Two bikes is always the answer.

I could certainly see myself adding a RIP 9 next year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post

I second this. Go RIP9 and get a Dual Position 150/120 Pike and have the best of both worlds. The only penalty is the 1lb heavier frame, but that's totally worth it for the durability IMO, especially in my case (I'm 200 lbs and ride aggressively).

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Looks like the Jet RDOs are over sold. I ordered mine two weeks and was told 4-5 weeks until delivery . I may have to order a RIP aluminum until mine arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
    I second this. Go RIP9 and get a Dual Position 150/120 Pike and have the best of both worlds. The only penalty is the 1lb heavier frame, but that's totally worth it for the durability IMO, especially in my case (I'm 200 lbs and ride aggressively).

Carbon & Ti rule
    Rip9's are awesome.

Looks like the Jet RDOs are over sold. I ordered mine two weeks and was told 4-5 weeks until delivery . I may have to order a RIP aluminum until mine arrives.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pdelbusto View Post
    I think I'm on the same boat as you. Former XC racer, current stage and endurance and future Enduro racer... Just cleaned up my J9RDO to ride for the next 2 weeks, after 2 weeks on the R9RDO. Every time I swap bikes I convince myself that I need both. No clear winner...
    I definitely agree with this - I have both a Jet 9 RDO and RIP 9 RDO and both are a ton of fun to ride.

I had the Jet 9 RDO set up with White Bros Loop 120mm but changed out to a 120 mm Rock Shox RS-1 this year and added a Quarq XX1 powermeter. With XX1, XTR brakes, Enve wheels and Thompson dropper it weighs in at 25lbs even (Med frame).

The RIP 9 RDO is equipped with 140mm Pike, Reverb dropper, but also XX1 and Enve wheels. Its a little over 27 lbs (also Medium). The heavier frame and fork make up most of the weight difference from the Jet.

With the Quarq on the Jet, I have to run a larger 32t chainring up front. One the RIP I use a smaller 28t most of the time.

Both are super fun bikes. The Jet 9 RDO is super responsive, fast, and climbs great. It is incredibly fun on fast flowing trails like Brown County IMBA epic loop (Brown County State Park - IMBA Epic Mountain Bike Trail, Nashville, IN). The RIP is likely a little more versatile and more of a true "quiver killer". The RIP to me is very confidence inspiring. Tough, downhill switchback...no problem. Hit a nasty rock garden at speed...no problem. Rough rocky downhill...just let the bike lead the way.

There are also a lot less people complaining of cracked frames with the RIP as compared to the Jet. Things may be better now with the carbon compaction process, but there were a lot of Jet's that suffered from frame cracks (I cracked my rear triangle). The extra carbon in the RIP likely makes a big difference in this regard.

I'm lucky to have an amazing mechanic at our local Niner dealer, so whenever I have issues I have him take a look at things. I have a first gen Jet 9 RDO, and there have been more issues on the bike including some shifting issues as well as needing to replace the bearings involved in the rear suspension on several occasions. Niner has improved both of these issues in the newer generation Jet's. The RIP has held up well except for the stock bottom bracket that only lasted a couple of months. I replaced it with a Chris King and haven't looked back. Having two Niners always allows me to have one to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ride report for the bike?

I just ordered the Jet RDO with the Pike upfront. I am coming from an Epic so excited to have a little more versatile bike.
    Have you received your RDO yet? I was curious on delivery time as I am getting ready to order one as well with the Pike.