Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2006

My Jet 9 Carbon build

Hi all,

My new frame has just arrived. It has been provided by Niner as a crash replacement for a cracked scandium Air 9. It will be used to upgrade my current dual suspension ride which is a vanilla white Jet 9 alloy.

The frame is a large Hot Tamale Jet 9 carbon with 135mm rear axle spacing which suits my current wheel sets. The frame weighs in as pictured without the headset at 2317 grams plus 23 grams for the nice Niner seat tube clamp.

Untitled by ozynigma, on Flickr

I have been accumulating the parts for the build which can be seen at

New Bike Build 2014 - a set on Flickr

I will post the build and specs progressively as it comes together over the next couple of weeks.

The fork will be a Reba XX 20mm through axle which is currently getting its travel reinstated to its full 120mm. This was on the Jet 9 alloy set to 100mm.

The everyday wheel set, also off the Jet 9 alloy, is Stan's Arch rims on XT centre lock hubs with a Nobby Nic on the front and a Racing Ralph on the rear.

I am currently getting a second lighter wheel set built up with Stan's Crest Rims on Hope hubs. I have some WTB race tyres on the way for these.

Carbon & Ti rule
    You are in for a nice surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by ozynigma View Post
    Hi all,

My new frame has just arrived. It has been provided by Niner as a crash replacement for a cracked scandium Air 9. It will be used to upgrade my current dual suspension ride which is a vanilla white Jet 9 alloy.

The frame is a large Hot Tamale Jet 9 carbon with 135mm rear axle spacing which suits my current wheel sets. The frame weighs in as pictured without the headset at 2317 grams plus 23 grams for the nice Niner seat tube clamp.

I will post the build and specs progressively as it comes together over the next couple of weeks.

The fork will be a Reba XX 20mm through axle which is currently getting its travel reinstated to its full 120mm. This was on the Jet 9 alloy set to 100mm.

The everyday wheel set, also off the Jet 9 alloy, is Stan's Arch rims on XT centre lock hubs with a Nobby Nic on the front and a Racing Ralph on the rear.

I am currently getting a second lighter wheel set built up with Stan's Crest Rims on Hope hubs. I have some WTB race tyres on the way for these.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    In the first post I have linked to the flickr folder with all the photos of the build.

In this second post I will list the build and weights as it progresses.

Frame - Large Niner Jet 9 Carbon - 2317g
    Seat Clamp - Niner - 23g
    Seat Post - Rockshox Reverb 125mm x 31.6mm - 559g
    Saddle - Fizik Antares - 187g
    FD - SRAM X0 triple - 121g
    RD - SRAM X0 long cage type 2 - 231g
    Rear brake - Magura Marta SL - 225g
    Bottle Cage - Elite fibreglass - 34g

Total so far 3697g

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Of course I couldn't wait another day to start the build. Here is progress so far.

Due to my short legs and the 125mm travel on the dropper post I have had to fully insert the dropper post into the frame. In the worst case I might have to ride with it always down 10mm or more. The good thing is I will be able to drop the seat all the way to the frame.

Always Learning
    Hi all,

Great looking frame!!!!

Wait a minute. Dropper post. 120mm squish up front. And you are thinking of running noodles on the bike (Crests)? How much do you weigh? I've got Crests on one wheelset and even at my 180 lbs....they are noodles. I'd say go light with the LB carbon rims and lace those to your hubs.

I'm not trying to bash your build, but think you could get a lot better performance out of that full squish with a stiffer rim. That being said, I do use the Crest wheelset from time to time. However, compared to the carbon rims - shazam in difference.

Carbon & Ti rule
    My wife is short & uses the 100mm drop Reverb in her Jet9 RD0,

Of course I couldn't wait another day to start the build. Here is progress so far.

Due to my short legs and the 125mm travel on the dropper post I have had to fully insert the dropper post into the frame. In the worst case I might have to ride with it always down 10mm or more. The good thing is I will be able to drop the seat all the way to the frame.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Great looking frame!!!!

Wait a minute. Dropper post. 120mm squish up front. And you are thinking of running noodles on the bike (Crests)? How much do you weigh? I've got Crests on one wheelset and even at my 180 lbs....they are noodles. I'd say go light with the LB carbon rims and lace those to your hubs.

I'm not trying to bash your build, but think you could get a lot better performance out of that full squish with a stiffer rim. That being said, I do use the Crest wheelset from time to time. However, compared to the carbon rims - shazam in difference.
    Ahhh Bruce, in the words of Alanis Morisette, "good advice that you just can't take".

I have the rims so I will be building the Crest's up as a lightweight wheel set and see how they go. I have 355'ers on my Lynskey hard tail and I have only noticed flex when I push the rim to one side by hand.

This bike is going to be a bit of a do it all and I will have the choice of up to three wheel sets to put on it. I also have a set of Flows on my Banshee Paradox that I could borrow if needed.

I am 90kg and hopefully less by the end of the year with some good training. Thats up around 200lb but I treat my bikes gently, pick good lines and have never broken anything on a mountain bike that I can remember.

The light bikes rims are a definite possibility for the future. There are a set on ebay Australia at the moment for $800 complete but I don't have spare cash to buy them.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    My wife is short & uses the 100mm drop Reverb in her Jet9 RD0,
    Yes that is a fallback option for me too if I can't make the 125mm work.

trail "cleaner"
    Carbon wheelsets should be mandatory. Those who own/ride them regularly know the difference. IMHO.... they are game changers. My entire Niner stable is now running on CF rims.
    No dabs allowed!

bike rider
    Gorgeous!
    I got some pretty decent Niners!

Always Learning
    I am 90kg and hopefully less by the end of the year with some good training. Thats up around 200lb but I treat my bikes gently, pick good lines and have never broken anything on a mountain bike that I can remember.
    Well, in the words of one of the best 29"er wheelbuilders in the US (perhaps the world), those rims are rated for up to 185 lbs (about 84kg). NoTubes staff have stated on the NoTubes forums, not to exceed 190 lbs if running the Crests. I'd sell the rims, and pick up some LB rims for twice the cost. The difference is astounding for me between the two. And that's coming from a lot of races on the Crests on the JET 9 and then switching to the carbon rims.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Well, in the words of one of the best 29"er wheelbuilders in the US (perhaps the world), those rims are rated for up to 185 lbs (about 84kg). NoTubes staff have stated on the NoTubes forums, not to exceed 190 lbs if running the Crests. I'd sell the rims, and pick up some LB rims for twice the cost. The difference is astounding for me between the two. And that's coming from a lot of races on the Crests on the JET 9 and then switching to the carbon rims.
    Thanks Bruce, you have given me a lot to think about. I got the Crest rims for half price (and more importantly they are white). I have just been checking out the Light Bicycles ebay page for Australia. I could probably get my money back on the rims and even the hubs if I buy prebuilt wheels from China.

mtbr member
    Nice ride.

I just put carbon hoops on mine, they are awesome.

Thanks Bruce, you have given me a lot to think about. I got the Crest rims for half price (and more importantly they are white). I have just been checking out the Light Bicycles ebay page for Australia. I could probably get my money back on the rims and even the hubs if I buy prebuilt wheels from China.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Ozynigma...what bottom bracket do you intend to use?

mtbr member
    May 2006

My Jet 9 Carbon build

SRAM PF 30 BB and X0 BB30 crankset. They are installed photos later in the week.

bike rider
    Any updates on this build? I can't wait to see it done.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkock View Post
    Any updates on this build? I can't wait to see it done.
    Its been with my mate the bike mechanic for a few weeks now and he has been making slow progress in his spare time. Just before I read your post I texted him for an update. Last time I checked on the 21 March he had installed the BB and cranks, removed the travel spacer from the fork and built but not final tensioned the wheels. He also has to replace all the hydraulic hoses with new white and red ones cut to length to suit the build. Then all I have to do is assemble the pedals, cassette, chain, tyres, stem, bars, shifters and gear cables. So hopefully it will be finished real soon.

bike rider
    I can't wait to see it done.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well here it is practically finished at 12.7kg on the bathroom scales.

Untitled

mtbr member
    May 2006
    And here it is a little bit dirty after its first ride this morning

Untitled

mtbr member
    May 2006
    First ride impressions - fantastic. I didn't push to hard today on the shakedown ride. Getting a feel for the bike and how it handles. At the end of the ride I was getting some more confidence and let it rip down a nice fire road descent. The power transfer is very good, hit the pedals and it goes.

The suspension is working great. I put 100psi in the rear shock and it felt just about perfect. My forks should be running about the same but I have to check my mechanic put the same pressures back in after taking the travel spacer out. I left the shock in trail for the whole ride and didn't bother with the climb or descend modes. The extra 20mm front and rear over the Jet 9 alloy feels like it makes a huge difference. I have had a few dual suspension bikes but this one is the first that is really working like I wanted.

I am trialling some WTB race tyres that I got as a run out special. So far so good. I have the Wolverine race 2.2 up front and the Nano race 2.1 on the rear.

The drivetrain is all X0 except for the XT cassette and Dura Ace chain. This all worked flawlessly although the whole ride was in middle ring.

No issues at all with the Crest rims on the Hope hubs. Although carbon rims might be better these seem to work fine for me.

I have a few minor issues to sort with the Magura Marta SL brakes. The worst one is incompatibility with the rear Shimano rotor. I have added 3 washers under the caliper as a short term fix but I might need to go to a plain rotor at the rear. I am also getting a bit of brake rub at the rear. The front got a new rotor for this ride and after bedding in they are working fine.

So overall this is a definite upgrade from the old Jet 9 alloy. Its definitely the best dual suspension bike I have owned and that is without fiddling with the setup yet. (Other bikes were 2003 Epic 26'er, 2007 S Works carbon Epic 26'er, 2008 Enduro SL 26'er, RIP 9 alloy and the Jet 9 alloy.)

MTB B'dos
    Looks quite nice, for a niner Put that thing on an accurate scale, curious for something more accurate, cause to me that's a lot of $$ to spend and light weight parts, to get a 28lb bike. Do yourself a favour if you ever get the cash and get some stiffer wheels, you'll then be amazed at the difference; specd a TB for a friend with Pro2/Crest, he only weighs 160lbs, seemed fine, he ponied up for some i9 Trail 24s and when I installed and test rode the bike I could not believe the difference in how the bike felt and handled, absolutely astounding difference.
    Well here it is practically finished at 12.7kg on the bathroom scales.

Untitled
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Looks quite nice, for a niner Put that thing on an accurate scale, curious for something more accurate, cause to me that's a lot of $$ to spend and light weight parts, to get a 28lb bike. Do yourself a favour if you ever get the cash and get some stiffer wheels, you'll then be amazed at the difference; specd a TB for a friend with Pro2/Crest, he only weighs 160lbs, seemed fine, he ponied up for some i9 Trail 24s and when I installed and test rode the bike I could not believe the difference in how the bike felt and handled, absolutely astounding difference.
    Thanks Lynx for your glowing endorsement of a Niner

Sorry I don't have a more accurate scale and I seriously can't be bothered weighing it again. Right now there is nothing I would change to make it lighter (like losing the dropper post or a chain ring or two). One of my mates picked it up this morning and was surprised at how light it was considering how substantial the whole bike looks.

It certainly doesn't feel heavy out on the trail, tired legs were the only thing slowing this bike down this morning.

bike rider
    That thing is Gorgeous!!! There may be a Jet 9 RDO frame in my very near future. Awesome Bike Sir.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I didn't think I was a fan of the Tamale color until now, probably because it looks like a Alabama Crimson Tide (Football) color. But I must say with the contrasting white colors that is a sharp looking bike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast