Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkock View Post
    That thing is Gorgeous!!! There may be a Jet 9 RDO frame in my very near future. Awesome Bike Sir.
    Thank you sir, I have enjoyed the build, now to enjoy the ride. I have a big year of riding planned for 2014.

bike rider
    I'm heading to Angel Fire NM for my Downhill birthday party in June and Whistler BC in July just to DH. I'm taking the Jet to Angel Fire but not Whistler. Maybe next year. Ride it like you stole it.
    I got some pretty decent Niners!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I dont want to highjack your thread ... but ... the new Jet 9 Carbons that are being sent out do they all have the new cable routing on the right (when sat on bike)?

I found a crack on the frame yesterday and so a replacement will no doubt the way. Mine was built just over a year ago March 2013.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yes, all of them have the new cable routing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Well, in the words of one of the best 29"er wheelbuilders in the US (perhaps the world), those rims are rated for up to 185 lbs (about 84kg). NoTubes staff have stated on the NoTubes forums, not to exceed 190 lbs if running the Crests. I'd sell the rims, and pick up some LB rims for twice the cost. The difference is astounding for me between the two. And that's coming from a lot of races on the Crests on the JET 9 and then switching to the carbon rims.
    Great advice! I took it and could not be happier. The LB rims with your choice of hubs is the ONLY way to go. So many manufacturers are doing the same thing (Niner is now), but you can do it yourself by ordering direct from LB (I recommend building them yourself also) for about $400 less and have equally as nice or better of a wheelset!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ozynigma View Post
    I am 90kg and hopefully less by the end of the year with some good training. Thats up around 200lb but I treat my bikes gently, pick good lines and have never broken anything on a mountain bike that I can remember.
    Have you read about all of the cracked Jet RDO's and Carbons? I hope these words don't come back to haunt you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    ozynigma: beautiful bike! Couple questions, does your Elite bottle cage work well with the large size frame - is it easy to remove and insert the bottle that you have shown here? Also, would you mind posting a photo showing the non-drive side of the bike? I'd like to see the dropper post cable routing. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ozynigma View Post
    And here it is a little bit dirty after its first ride this morning

Untitled

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewfuzzy View Post
    I dont want to highjack your thread ... but ... the new Jet 9 Carbons that are being sent out do they all have the new cable routing on the right (when sat on bike)?

I found a crack on the frame yesterday and so a replacement will no doubt the way. Mine was built just over a year ago March 2013.
    I think the guide cables ran parallel with the RD guide on the right and the FD guide on the left. Of course this did not match the photo showing how to route the cables from shifters to head tube in the conventional way crossing over.

So I switched my guide cables at the top to come out with the RD on the left then crossed to the right shifter and my FD on the right and then crossed to the left shifter.

So far it is working perfectly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Very nice looking bike!

Just wondering tho, why did you go for triple at the front?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by holyPT View Post
    Very nice looking bike!

Just wondering tho, why did you go for triple at the front?
    Full discussion here

Jet 9 carbon gearing

I ended up going SRAM over Shimano to utilise the PF30 and eliminate adaptors and to optimise the match between the chainrings and front derailleur.

In short I need a 22 front for some of my rides and I didn't like the gap between chainrings on a 22/36 AM two ring setup and occasionally I will ride downhill on bitumen and use the 44.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    That is an interesting situation.
    My friend had a bike where the front had 2 chainrings of 20 and another of 30 on his bike.
    The only problem I see with your case is really the usage of a 44 plate. It wouldn't be achievable.

Has long as the solution suits you it is all that matters on my book.
    Next step get another bike to justify going 2x10? haha!

Have you thought about going for example with canfield K7 microdrive adapter and shimano gearing?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by holyPT View Post
    That is an interesting situation.
    My friend had a bike where the front had 2 chainrings of 20 and another of 30 on his bike.
    The only problem I see with your case is really the usage of a 44 plate. It wouldn't be achievable.

Has long as the solution suits you it is all that matters on my book.
    Next step get another bike to justify going 2x10? haha!

Have you thought about going for example with canfield K7 microdrive adapter and shimano gearing?
    I actually would have liked to go with the Shimano 22/30/40 gearing because I think it would suit my range of riding and minimises the gap between chainring sizes so you don't have to do as many correction shifts at the rear when you change at the front. I don't really want to use adaptors on this bike, pretty sure I will stick with this as my only (for now) BB30 crankset. I can always change the X0 spider for a 2x10 or 1x11 on this bike if I need too.

I am not really sold on 2x systems for mtb. I treat my triple as an extension in both directions from a middle ring where I do most of my riding. I find with a double I end up doing more front changes and will usually lose some lower gears. I have moved my 2x FSA cranks to my commuter. They were 27/40 tooth.

I am running 1x10 on my Banshee Paradox hard tail, but I don't take it on really long steep climbs, just hit the local trails near home instead. So it is set up simple and a bit heavy as an XC/trail bike. You can find it in the Banshee forum pretty easily.

I also like Shimano's approach to their new 11 speed with an 11-40 tooth range on the cassette and 1x, 2x and 3x compatibility. I have a problem with paying $300 for a consumable SRAM 11spd cassette. Hopefully the 11spd XT will come in more reasonably priced in the next year or so.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Ok, fair deal if you don't want a custom hub on the bike.

Was looking at the gear ratios of your setup and the biggest problem would be going up.

gears..min...max
    1x11...6.6...1.6 (32)
    2x10...7.9...1.6 (28-42)
    3x10...8.3...1.3 (22-36-44)

EDIT: damn whitespaces are trimmed haha

The 2x10 you see there is what I use on my bike with XX and the 1x11 is the bike I'm building at the moment ( here ).

Since I don't know what type of rider you are I will not comment on 1x11 but personally would give 2x10 a try. It also depends on how steep the climbs are obviously and if you really use up all the 44t when going down (I know nothing of downhill sorry).

Hopefully it will trickle down more than the $300 it currently costs, give it a year to see an X5-1 (I hope)

MTB B'dos
    My thing with a 3x setup on a trail bike is clearance, simple as that, with a 2X setup you get a lot more ground clearance and don't have to worry about bashing into stuff as easy. When I read your earlier comment I wondered why you didn't go with the Shimano compact setup, but then you said you didn't want to use adapters and don't think they do them in BB30, but could be wrong - I'm happily still running 9spd and external threaded cup BBs

For me I like a 2X setup because of the range it offers and the possibility of huge gear jumps or drops when you need them - round a corner in the bigger ring and mid way in the cassette and see a steep climb, just drop the ring to the small and that's equivalent to about 3-4 gears shifting out back. Same cruising off a slow/tech section in the granny ring and am building speed fast, just throw it up on the big ring for an instant 3-4 gear boost.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2