Space Ghost

My Biocentric2 experience

I built up a ROS9 a bit ago and it was my first time going back to an eccentric. I had two others and it was a horrible experience. Other than the pivot/alternator type system, I have had them all and the only style I could live with was the paragon sliders. My gen1 N9 was excellent, never slipped, easy to set up. Like an idiot (bike whore), I sold it thinking I was done with SS for a while. As always, I go through withdrawal as soon as a bike leaves the garage for good. I wanted a beefier/shorter chain stay SIR9, so enter the ROS. By the way, didn't care for the new N9 or the Honzo as much. Going with the Niner of course meant I had to buy in to the Bio2. I had read all the horror stories of the Bio1 and had some first hand experience with fellow riders. Most of the Bio2 reviews were excellent so I jumped in. Watched the Niner video on set up and read the instructions that came with the frame. The written instructions suggest Carbo Grip or Oatey's for installation, the video does not. I used Oatey's initially. Cleaned and prepped the shell as per the instructions, applied lube and Oatey's to the appropriate areas and went for a ride. BB slipped about a half inch. Re-tensioned the chain, hit it with the torque wrench again and went for another ride. Slipped again. Admittedly got irritated, blaming the Bio2, but determined I was going to keep at it. Loved the frame too much to quit. Decided to remove the Bio, take off some of the Oatey's and try again. Next ride, slipped again, but not as easily. Sooooo, took it all apart again, cleaned it all off. Cleaned the shell, Bio, re-lubed appropriate grease spots and reinstalled with no Oatey's. Knock on wood, but 75 very hard miles later, no slip. My conclusion is I had too much Oatey's on and it must have squeezed its way b/w the shell and Bio to allow slippage. I figured I would go dry unless it creaked. It hasn't. So far I am very pleased with the Bio2 and would/and have recommended it for Bio1 owners with issues. Just be conservative with Carbo or Oatey's if you use it.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Pretty sure that the recommendation these days is to install BBII dry.
    Glad you got it sorted out!

mtbr member
    the same goes for all friction pastes... too much and it does the opposite to what you're trying to achieve.

For me the BIO2 has been bombproof over 2000km on my one9RDO....

Creaks every now and then when grit gets in after a particularly muddy ride but a clean out and re-install sorts it

Space Ghost
    Acko-do you run it dry or with paste?
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

mtbr member
    I use a very small amount of carbo grip on the outer contact faces. I find its mainly to stop creaking from grit and dust.
    I've run it dry and it didn't move

Curiously ambivalent
    Jul 2009
    I tried every approach I'd read about and still had clyde-induced creaking. I then installed mine dry with PVC tape (a little thicker than standard electrical tape). Not a peep out of it in 1700 miles.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickweed View Post
    I tried every approach I'd read about and still had clyde-induced creaking. I then installed mine dry with PVC tape (a little thicker than standard electrical tape). Not a peep out of it in 1700 miles.
    nice job, dickweed!

i couldn't resist

my body breaks the falls
    Thanks for sharing your experience. My Bio1 One9 didn't start creaking until after a full 2200 miles, so I felt I couldn't complain. Unfortunately after 100 very noisy miles, I felt I had to complain. I tried all the tricks to no avail. At this point I think the $100 investment may be worth a shot.
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org