Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

My 2010 Jet9 ride report.

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  muzzanic 
#1 · (Edited)
Well after not being able to get a good ride in on my replacement Jet9 because of weeks of rain I just took the bull by the horns & Went out for a very wet ride.

I always liked the old Jet9 but having ridden the new Rip9 for the last 9 months & loving it, I was not that sure I would like the new jet9.

The tracks were wet mush with lots of wet tree roots,mud holes & wet clay so not the sort of ground that your average XC bike would think very much of at all. (Note the Rip9 just eats up this stuff )

Well the Jet9 stuck like the proverbial **** to a blanket,It pedaled better than the old jet, given that the frame now doesn't flex when you stand up & pound on the pedals & it tracks so much better than the old jet.

When we got to the tracks & saw how wet they were I wished I had taken the Rip9, however I was a bit stund how well the Jet9 stayed glued to the track.

Was the Jet9 as fast as the Rip9 would have been in the wet ?
Well you would need a watch to tell but either way there would be so little in it & for sure in the dry the Jet9 would have been faster.

I have put some very good gear on the Jet9 & the setup feels realy alive & lots of fun to ride,What they have done with this new frame is great, It feels much the same as the old jet9 but just sharper,more direct & alot more point & shoot.

Attachments

See less See more
3 1
#5 ·
Ev52 said:
The jet has really surpassed my expectations. It is really stiff and an excellent climber.
Yes it climbs great.I guess over the 9 months I forgot that although it is a great XC bike it can cross over into the rip's home ground as well.

It still stun's me how much grip the CVA gives you,

#7 ·
Utrek said:
Muzzanic, is your Jet9 set up the same as before the recall? Just curious.
No to be fair,

The wheels,rear tyre,stem & seat & 15mm Thru Axle up front are the only things the same.

But both bikes were great spec.

The old bike was Sram X0 3 x9 & new bike Sram XX 2 x10

old bars 600mm 35mm rise carbon bars 4 deg sweep, New bars 660mm 15mm rise 9 deg sweep.

Old bike 100mm Fox RLC STD 1 1/8 steerer 15mm T/A, New Bike ( still waiting on 100mm Tapered steerer 20mm T/A XX fork ) so at the moment it has Fox 120mm RL Tapered steerer 15mm T/A.

Also the new bike has 10mm rear T/A & Rotor cranks.

So although the bikes are very different they are also close enough.

#8 ·
muzzanic said:
Also the new bike has....Rotor cranks.
Sweet!:thumbsup: You like? I like the Q-rings on my JET.

Nice review, by the way.

I did, however, take the RIP on today's ride as I brought the dogs along and kept my speed down so they didn't overheat in the tropical humidity we're having these days. Gotta love that CVA no matter which one of the bikes one is riding.

BB

#9 ·
BruceBrown said:
Sweet!:thumbsup: You like? I like the Q-rings on my JET.

Gotta love that CVA no matter which one of the bikes one is riding.

BB
Yes I started running Rotor cranks on my TT bike in 05 & liked them alot.

Running the Rotor cranks ( 180mm ) as 30-39 setup with 36-11 ten speed at the back feel like a close ratio racing gearbox for sure, I just felt like I had so much power yesterday.

I have run Q-Rings on road bikes as well & would say that help alot but there is still a bigger jump from Q rings to Rotor cranks than there is from Std rings to Q rings, They help that much.

I can see a Air Nine Carbon SS with Rotor cranks being a real speed weapon.

#10 ·
I can't believe the difference between my old and new Jet. The parts are the same, but the difference in handling and efficiency is immediately noticeable. When I sent my old Jet in I got a Sir and actually liked it better than my old Jet. Kinda decided that maybe I liked rigid better. Now that I have the new Jet, I like full suspension better.

In other words, the old Jet was flexible enough that I didn't enjoy it like I thought I would. The Sir was an improvement because it went where I pointed it unlike the old Jet and also squirted forward when I mashed. The new Jet does all of that and takes the bumps out too.

Notes: the Jet came with the Fox RL29 and I rode that on the Sir while I waited for the Niner Carbon fork. I do like the Sir better with the Carbon fork but that is a close call and under some conditions would prefer the suspension fork. My opinion of the fork with the old Jet was not that good because I felt it flexed a lot. I know now that the flex was in the frame. The RL feels rock solid on this new Jet frame. I have different wheel sets but they are the same ones I had before. The New Jet with Stouts on Flows is the go anywhere bomb.

#11 ·
yourdaguy said:
I can't believe the difference between my old and new Jet. The parts are the same, but the difference in handling and efficiency is immediately noticeable. When I sent my old Jet in I got a Sir and actually liked it better than my old Jet. Kinda decided that maybe I liked rigid better. Now that I have the new Jet, I like full suspension better.

In other words, the old Jet was flexible enough that I didn't enjoy it like I thought I would. The Sir was an improvement because it went where I pointed it unlike the old Jet and also squirted forward when I mashed. The new Jet does all of that and takes the bumps out too.

Notes: the Jet came with the Fox RL29 and I rode that on the Sir while I waited for the Niner Carbon fork. I do like the Sir better with the Carbon fork but that is a close call and under some conditions would prefer the suspension fork. My opinion of the fork with the old Jet was not that good because I felt it flexed a lot. I know now that the flex was in the frame. The RL feels rock solid on this new Jet frame. I have different wheel sets but they are the same ones I had before. The New Jet with Stouts on Flows is the go anywhere bomb.
I ran the Flows yesterday with 2.1 Ignitor on rear ( 23 lb ) & 2.4 Ardent front ( 20lb )

#13 ·
eatsleepbikes said:
Great video of the trails man what a cool place to ride. I can't believe the plants and
trees how lush it is. That is some serious singletrack, looks like a couple feet off the
trail and you'd get lost. Too cool
Yes that place is 40 miles from my gate & there is hundreds of miles of tracks:thumbsup:
You just choose what you what to do & go & ride it.

You can even catch a but to the top of the forest that runs every 20 min & get some rides up to an hour with no climbing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.